What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant Farm 2016

plantingplants

Hey everybody. I wanted to share my garden with you. I also wanted to thank everyone for all of their help. The advice I've received here and all of the small tips I've learned just poking around has seriously contributed to my garden and for that I'm really grateful.

So here are a few photos. Just to describe what's going on here, I originally planned on doing smart pots but due to time constraints (bobcat rental), unforeseen difficulties flipping 300 gallon pots with a bobcat (many of them ripped), and underestimating the size of 2.5 yard mounds, I ended up with rows with sort of offset mounds. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to my threads about my rows and spacing. I ripped out every other plant, but as you can see below, they're still too close!

Last year was my first year growing outdoors, and ever. I learned from a ruthlessly practical and cheap but effective grower.. So last year I did what I knew how to do and bought some cheap lightly amended soil and fed them Grow More from a swimming pool. I had trouble finding property and didn't get in the ground until mid-July and did pretty poorly. This year, I was inspired by Shcrews' garden and wanted to feel better about what I was doing and try to get the results I saw there, so I went organic and bought 40 yards of the modified Coots mix he uses. Here are the soil test results and the corresponding thread, fyi (shout out to leadsled for my soil analysis). So here I am, a full 180 from synthetic to organic and I feel better for it. Luckily I'm at the same spot so I got a good start this year but that didn't stop a rodent from killing $300 worth of Bodhi seedlings.

As far as strains, I have my standby, Green Crack, along with Bodhi's Blueberry Hashplant, Dream Beaver, Legend OG x Snow Lotus (very nice so far), and two rando freebies from Barney's Farm-- Blue Cheese and Cookies Kush. My ten pack of Sky Lotus was disappointing, unfortunately.

Green Cracks, with some Bodhi towards the end:

9QP513l.jpg

To the left of the above picture is this Blue Cheese (freebie that ended up doing really well. second largest.) under an 8 ft orchard ladder (thanks to everyone who helped in my ladder thread!):

aAwwgfZ.jpg

Here's the same row as above from a drone (low res but still cool):

qzBb5fI.jpg

Muscovy ducklings snacking on some delicious Super Sour Diesel:

tmPlKAH.jpg

Stay tuned. I'll have more photos soon!
smile.gif
..and maybe even a video of a drone pruning my plants haha.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Subbed. Glad to see you figured something out for the plant spacing. It's already looking much better. Do you have any plans for getting cages/support on them soon? They are going to need the inners and lowers cleaned up very soon and then support cages before they get much bigger. I'm excited to see how this one pans out, especially for the Green Crack and the Legend OG x Snow Lotus. I have plans on down the line to use Green Crack in a cross and I picked up a freebie pack of that cross from Bodhi as well. I haven't seen anybody grow it out yet so that will be interesting.

:yes:

S

Stone House

Nice garden, I think you'll be glad you thinned them out.
Mine have been growing like crazy the last few days,Yours should be also I think the lower temps help.
You might be able to run netting/wire the entire length of each row on both sides instead of circling them.
Did you ever try to transplant any of the ones you thinned out?

plantingplants

Thanks everyone! I sprayed them with frass extract + micropak (5ml) + albion Ca (5g)/gal last night. They had micronutrients irrigated in a couple days ago (although some of them didn't dissolve and are sitting at the bottom of the pool? Mostly Mn I think). As far as IPM, all I've done is release Lacewings. I'll release more soon, and come flower, trich wasps. Coming up I'll be doing a drench with RootShield Plus and Spectrum Extra.

I'll get some photos up of the Bodhi's. In the meantime, here's a praying mantis hangin' out:

woGatxB.jpg

Do you have any plans for getting cages/support on them soon? They are going to need the inners and lowers cleaned up very soon and then support cages before they get much bigger. I'm excited to see how this one pans out, especially for the Green Crack and the Legend OG x Snow Lotus. I have plans on down the line to use Green Crack in a cross and I picked up a freebie pack of that cross from Bodhi as well. I haven't seen anybody grow it out yet so that will be interesting.

:yes:

The Green Cracks are some of the best in there. They're from HSO. I'm looking forward to the LOGxSL (I read online it was possibly called Jade Dragon..), too. I took clones yesterday (which I'll be reversing and collecting pollen from. I'll be giving updates on the chucking experiment later.) and I can't tell if it just has massive pistils or it's actually starting to flower?? Two of them are doing that. I'm just going to ride it out if so.

Anyway, I'm pounding conduit today. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to prune. I overdid it last year with lollipopping so this year I'm erring on the side of doing nothing at all. I'll definitely be training the ones that are already growing together though :)

You might be able to run netting/wire the entire length of each row on both sides instead of circling them.
Did you ever try to transplant any of the ones you thinned out?

I'm going to play it safe and box in each individual plant except for a few sets that are pretty close together. I did transplant a few big ones. They're still playing catch up unfortunately and haven't regained the vigor they had. It's ok though because the spacing was more important I think. Some plants are growing fast, some are growing kind of ok, and some are pretty sad.

Sweet shot...take a pic of what you think may be flowering...generally you see the tip start swelling where there should only be new leaf growth. If you got some doing it...perhaps stress from getting moved around

plantingplants

Ok what the fuck. Here's a Legend OG x Snow Lotus a little over 5.5'. It has huge pistils but I don't think it's flowering. BUT look at this, I just found 5 little sex calyxes (the single ones right at every node) swollen with one seed each. Only on the lower branches. I pulled one out and it's very fat seed but still green. There were males around for a while (not anymore) so I guess one of them might have dropped some pollen. I checked other plants and they didn't have any seeds. My shit isn't going to be seeded is it?! If pollen was floating around, could it stick around until party time? Here's the photo.. the big calyx is the one that has a seed. I think I'll let them mature and see how they do. Definitely either a cross with Sky Lotus, Dream Beaver, or BBHP, or LOGxSL:

MJ0J54h.jpg

tesserect, here's a photo of one of the growing tips. What do you think? I'm going with no but these seeds are bugging me out a little bit.

Foothill- yea I'm kinda just wingin' it. I saw a post from joe recommending 6g/gal at some point. Lead told me at least 1g. Once again the page numbers are fucked up but you can see he mentions using 6g on this google search.

Hard to tell from the pic with the leaf covering, but if it keeps growing new leaf sets you're good, if it stalls and starts getting bulbous its flowering.

HillMizer

Looks great! Sorry to hear about the beans. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just 1 seed in the middle of a few buds won't be a big deal. Bring that drone over to my place! I might get some good shots then.
Don't be flying that thing 'round the fires while the tankers are trying to work:witch2:. I'm subbed.

S

Stone House

Pollen can only survive a few days (3 to 5) until it dies unless it is in an airtight container and in the fridge/freezer. The seeds you have now will be all you see unless someone in the neighborhood has a male or one of your plants go hermi. I doubt a few seeds will hurt anything. If you are concerned just pluck the seeds out and toss them. They shouldn't show up in the buds, they should only show up at the pre-flower sites.
After thinking about it I guess the bud could grow around the pre-flower site. I wouldn't worry.

plantingplants

Pollen can only survive a few days (3 to 5) until it dies unless it is in an airtight container and in the fridge/freezer. The seeds you have now will be all you see unless someone in the neighborhood has a male or one of your plants go hermi. I doubt a few seeds will hurt anything. If you are concerned just pluck the seeds out and toss them. They shouldn't show up in the buds, they should only show up at the pre-flower sites.
After thinking about it I guess the bud could grow around the pre-flower site. I wouldn't worry.

That makes me feel a lot better. There's only a few. I'll be letting them mature and then taking them. I wonder if this is a viable method for reliably producing a mini crop of seeds during veg without having to flower a plant.

Looks great! Sorry to hear about the beans. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just 1 seed in the middle of a few buds won't be a big deal. Bring that drone over to my place! I might get some good shots then.
Don't be flying that thing 'round the fires while the tankers are trying to work:witch2:. I'm subbed.
Thanks! Yea I saw all that drone drama. Everyone wanted to lynch anyone with a drone hahah. Mine is just an amateur quadcopter. It's fun to play around with.

looking good! compare those shrooms to platterfulls.

Thanks chunky! Did you mean popcorn? you sound like the BFG. :biggrin:

------------

So I watered in Spectrum Extra and Rootshield Plus and really soaked them down. I have anywhere from 50-70 yards of soil, and I dumped 3000 gal on them yesterday. I added some extra soil that was dry on the edges of some mounds and it's still not wet. I really don't want to sit there with a hose, but this soil just retains so much water it's hard to get it thoroughly wet when it's dry.

Here's a photo of the biggest plant, a Blueberry Hashplant. It'll probably break 7' tall tomorrow:

9YPs1OT.jpg

plantingplants

lol yea. My mulch hasn't grown in fully yet and I had only done a few waterings, so the soil really sucked it up. Didn't even have runoff and I still have dry spots on the edges (i wonder though if the water is draining through the clay). If you drip daily then that makes sense 1000gal will do it.