What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY LED growlight

ms-30

Hi! I have my own office in the basement and about 5x5 feet free space in the corner. Since I really adore the plants, I'd like to grow them right there, next to my desk. I like a well illuminated workspace and the plants smell and look great.

Obviously I cannot use HPS, because it has an awful CRI and I will be speding a lot of time doing paperwork and working on the computer in the same room. So I have an idea to build my own LED grow/office light. I have chosen 20 26W 4000K LED modules, 3200 lumens each (total 64000 lum). Each will be mounted to a CPU heatsink and I already have the ballasts.

My experience is limited and I wonder if those LED modules are any good for growing? Model: Citizen CLL032-1212A5-403M1A2
Specs:

CRI 80

Thanks

Attachments

• 2015-09-27 22_03_48-CLL032-1212A5403M1.pdf.png
    2015-09-27 22_03_48-CLL032-1212A5403M1.pdf.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 15

Snow Crash

Veteran
Plant's are very photosensitive. When the lights are off, they need to stay off. So you're schedule might needs some tinkering when they hit 12/12 for flowering.

I would probably get a 3x3 tent and just leave the zipper open when I was there. This provides some light security for when you need to work earlier or later than the lights should be on.

I also think that DIY'ing an LED is a huge hassle and has a very serious learning curve. If you're looking for CRI then your best bet is a Light Emitting Ceramic Metal Halide system like the Sun Systems LEC315. Low wattage and great color render with very high PAR. A little pricey up front but it will pay for itself pretty quick in simplicity and harvest weight compared to a DIY LED.

chefbudz

lol if you wanna do paperwork and stuff next to an led light you better be a mad scientist with some good sunglasses shit gets bright enough for bad headaches.

a tent will be your best investment the Mylar inside will keep all the light your spending your electric on around the plants where it belongs

amanda88

As much as you want to be with the plants ...you are a vector of bacteria and fungal contamination, keep a separate grow / veg rooms, but just have a tray of clones for you to pet rather than a full bush?

GoeRilla

No problem if you grow some autoes. Don´t know the leds you chose, they look a bit to the blue side i think but who knows.
Have youlooked at Nichia leds? They seem to have a good spectrum and a good price compared to vero and Cree.

Rilla.