What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How dry do you like your smoke?

t33to

Hey all,

I've got some that were dried in a net for 2 days, 25celcius, lots of air flow. They got pretty crunchy, so I tossed them in a garbage bag. I've got the hygrometer in there now and it reads 65% RH, room is still 25c.

Should I dry them out further to 60 or even 55% RH? Or do you think that's dry enough. I don't like super dry personally but I'm curious how you guys like it.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i like it where they're dry enough to break and crumble by hand but not so dry that it's dust. i don't use a hygrometer so i can't tell you what rh. but i think the number should be closer to like 15% (this is a thing i heard somewhere). 50%+ seems a little high for trying to burn things. that's half water. unless i'm understanding this rh wrong.

also 2 days drying? that's not dry at all. i've had some buds sitting out on a shelf for 3 days now and they're still not dry enough to cut away from the stem and dry some more before i put em in the jars.

my method (old school way) is chop, hang till the stems make cracking noises when you bend em. (3-4 days usually) at which point i trim em up and put em in jars and burp for a week or 2 till theres no more moisture building up on the glass in between hourly to daily burpings.

then they start to cure.

if you can take a bud in your fingers stem to tip and flex it into a U shape without it cracking or the stem breaking, it's not dry yet and shouldn't be anywhere near a jar. it's gonna mold in like 12 hours.

t33to

i like it where they're dry enough to break and crumble by hand but not so dry that it's dust. i don't use a hygrometer so i can't tell you what rh. but i think the number should be closer to like 15% (this is a thing i heard somewhere). 50%+ seems a little high for trying to burn things. that's half water. unless i'm understanding this rh wrong.

also 2 days drying? that's not dry at all. i've had some buds sitting out on a shelf for 3 days now and they're still not dry enough to cut away from the stem and dry some more before i put em in the jars.

my method (old school way) is chop, hang till the stems make cracking noises when you bend em. (3-4 days usually) at which point i trim em up and put em in jars and burp for a week or 2 till theres no more moisture building up on the glass in between hourly to daily burpings.

then they start to cure.

if you can take a bud in your fingers stem to tip and flex it into a U shape without it cracking or the stem breaking, it's not dry yet and shouldn't be anywhere near a jar. it's gonna mold in like 12 hours.

50% rh does not equate to to 50% water as far as I know. I hear many people on these forums set their Dehumidifiers to 55% and it's pretty much perfect but I was just curious what people out there preferred.

When I used to bong smoke I wanted it to be dust so it would burn instantly but in paper I enjoy it a bit more wet, kind of like tobacco.

Thanks for chiming in.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i aim for white ash myself. too wet = black ash. just right = white ash that crumbles to dust at a touch. best of luck.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
when I can roll and smoke it ,,its dry enough....yeehaw...I have never measured with hygrometer even tho I had one...lost it..it def shouldn't crumble to dust ..

browntrout

Veteran
Buds that are dried after harvest still hold moisture for some time especially in the stem, the outside can be crunchy but when put into a bag they can get gooey quick. I like my buds to be on the dry side, they store better. Dry enough that the flowers break from the stems but not dry enough to turn to dust.

BT

vostok

Veteran
If I'm offered a toke ...and I COUGH

I often hand it back ....

quick like it should say enough..?

Jhhnn

Veteran
It'll keep fine at that RH. If you seal it up now it'll cure. Read the first & last pages of "a perfect cure every time". Depending on the strain, the curing process tapers off to nothing after a month or few. Some strains gain little from curing, others a lot. I use 62% boveda packs in my jars to keep it springy which is just a little bit on the damp side for best smoking. I pull out a few buds, run 'em through the spacecase, keep it in a tin.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I don't need a meter and I don't have moldy buds... experience ....yeehaw..I have no use for packets to control moisture..got nothing against those that do use em tho..to each their own

Jhhnn

Veteran
I don't need a meter and I don't have moldy buds... experience ....yeehaw..I have no use for packets to control moisture..got nothing against those that do use em tho..to each their own

For sure. I merely relate my own positive experience. There are other ways for people to get what they want, I'm sure.

I do have nice springy buds that are over a year old. They've lost a little in the aroma dept, but it comes right up when they're crushed.

t33to

It'll keep fine at that RH. If you seal it up now it'll cure. Read the first & last pages of "a perfect cure every time". Depending on the strain, the curing process tapers off to nothing after a month or few. Some strains gain little from curing, others a lot. I use 62% boveda packs in my jars to keep it springy which is just a little bit on the damp side for best smoking. I pull out a few buds, run 'em through the spacecase, keep it in a tin.

I've got em down to 62~% RH now. I should roll one up. I suppose if it burns clean and white ash it's good to seal up for extended cure? And then just pick from the container whenever I need a smoke? The cure just makes it taste better right?

G

I take a few flowers out of my freezer stash and set out for an hour or so. Grinds up into perfection.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I've got em down to 62~% RH now. I should roll one up. I suppose if it burns clean and white ash it's good to seal up for extended cure? And then just pick from the container whenever I need a smoke? The cure just makes it taste better right?

That's what I'd do. You still have to pay attention that the RH doesn't creep up over the next couple of days. Curing doesn't always make much of a positive difference but it never makes anything worse IME. The texture, taste & aroma will evolve somewhat with curing, generally in what I find to be pleasing directions. It'll pretty much quit changing after a month or few, as I said. It's self limiting.

vostok

Veteran
If you have problems in this drying and curing area look towards a water cure, often I water cure(soak) my plants for 3 days...it leaches out all that chem crap, leaving the thc etc in place for a nicer and notifiable stronger hit!

CannaBrix

Personally I like it a bit dryer than not.

My harvests haven't been as frequent as I'd like them recently, so I've had to try some others' stash out.

I don't think anybody dries it out enough. The taste is so affected by too much moisture. Plus my blunts go out, and my bong pack gets too tight.

I don't want inevitable "dust" everytime I break some bud up, but it should dust up if I keep going at it more than I should.

X

xavier7995

Fan of the 62% Boveda packs, keeps it perfect to go into the smaller jar that gets smoked over a few days. Slightly wet coming out, but in an hour or two its just right and lasts for days.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Fan of the 62% Boveda packs, keeps it perfect to go into the smaller jar that gets smoked over a few days. Slightly wet coming out, but in an hour or two its just right and lasts for days.

I generally grind it right away, then keep it in tins like this, particularly the smallest-

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/...productId=10030953&breadcrumbPageTitle=Search

I leave it open for an hour or few at first, then keep it closed. They don't seal real tight, not like a wire bale jar, so it's considerably drier when I get to the crumbs.

I also pack 'em with bud & take a wrap of electrical tape around the lid margin. Makes a nice little present.

A nice thing about the boveda packs is that the stash doesn't get too dry. It's always the same every time you open the jar. Springy. Here in semi arid Denver, bud can easily get way too dry after the jar has been opened & closed many times. Left out for very long, it'll crumble to dust when you touch it.

Letting the moisture out is easy. Putting it back in is another story.

OrganicMechanik

i noticed that that thcv (the alkaloids/terpenes responsible for smell and flavour) seem to preserve a lot longer if you dont take to much moisture out of the buds. its quite a fine line and personal preferance i guess. if the weed is bone dry it will lose its smell and flavour a lot quicker! i like it when you can hold a bud and snap a part of it from the stalk without much pressure, but the bit you snap off wont crumble to dust if you gently squeeze it. if that makes sense

Jhhnn

Veteran
i noticed that that thcv (the alkaloids/terpenes responsible for smell and flavour) seem to preserve a lot longer if you dont take to much moisture out of the buds. its quite a fine line and personal preferance i guess. if the weed is bone dry it will lose its smell and flavour a lot quicker! i like it when you can hold a bud and snap a part of it from the stalk without much pressure, but the bit you snap off wont crumble to dust if you gently squeeze it. if that makes sense

Makes sense to me. Done well, simon's cure makes the texture better, more tender & frangible somehow. To me, getting a good cure is the finishing touch in an artform I'd like to be really good at. I can take the time because it's all personal stash, not for sale. Well cured cannabis is just a pleasure to smoke.

I'll try water curing some if I get a bumper crop anytime RSN, then apply simon's method, see what happens.

CannaBrix

Perfect description of what i was going for.