What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Accurate environmental readout systems

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Im looking for an accurate wireless thermo-hygrometer setup. Its mostly going to be used to monitor humidity inside of my sweating tubs. Most of the probes out there on the market have a wide accuracy margin of plus or minus 5%rh. On top of that, they cant even be manually calibrated. They will tell you to reset the probes and that will make all the settings go back to factory, but it never works. I can buy 3 probes, and then a short time later place them side by side, and witness the differences in accuracy. Its not uncommon for them to be 5-10%rh off from each other. All of this no bueno for me.
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience with a reliable, and quality wireless setup? Heres some criteria that needs to be met.

-Wireless hub for sensors (prefer smart phone compatible as well)
-Up to at least 8-10 wireless rh/temp probes
-Accuracy rmargin of less than, plus or minus 3%rh
-Manual calibration option
-Data logging
-$500 spending limit

Does it exist? Ready, set, go..

queequeg152

Veteran
500 bucks lol no.

what you CAN get is hair hygrograph with a 4-20ma output and buy the data logger of your choice.

thats going to be around a grand though.

queequeg152

Veteran
im curious though, why do you even need so many humidity sensors in the first place?
moisture in the air will equilibration very quickly, provided there is no insane inward flux of moisture into the system like say a boiling hot shower.

the ONLY way i can see where one can feasably get that many channels and log them all AND access the information remotly... would be to use a very expensive 10 channel DAQ and just log sensors all day long.

you could connect to the daq unit remotly via ethernet to a router, or a serial bus connected to computer connected to a router... but IDK where you will find the code to do it... its not a trivial area of interest.

you could probably buy 10 duct humidity transducers for... like 300 bucks new a piece, or perhaps much less used... but these sensors cannot( or ive never seen one that can be) be calibrated manually.
you would have to periodically remove them from use and calibrate them by adjusting the code that translates the transducers signal into humidity values ... probably by simply adjusting offset variables but idk.

why dont you just get a good scientific hair hygrometer... some german company sells these nice 4" dial units with a screwdriver hole in the back to manually adjust the dial... they are usually said to be +- 1%.

move this unit all around your area.. provided you dont have huge temperature gradients you in all likelihood you will find no appreciable differences in humidity.