What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Problem with Spidermites

ChenBenTz

So, I have these things:

IMG_20150218_202535.jpg

So, I sprayed them with a sulfur-based product and now my plants look like this:

IMG_20150218_202337.jpg

The little black specks are still there.. :(

The white residue won't come off the plants. Is it bad?

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
Spray the leaves with water and it'll wash off the residue. And when you spray spider mites you spray the underside of the leaves. Spraying the top of the leaves won't kill shit. I use bonide 3 in 1 spray to kill the little bastards. Make sure the product you choose has a miticide in it otherwise your just pissin in the wind.

ChenBenTz

Spray the leaves with water and it'll wash off the residue.

It doesn't. That's what I meant by it won't wash off.

And when you spray spider mites you spray the underside of the leaves. Spraying the top of the leaves won't kill shit.

I sprayed both sides; you just can't see the bottom side in the photos.

The plant I took the photo off I happened to spray with neem oil.

I use bonide 3 in 1 spray to kill the little bastards. Make sure the product you choose has a miticide in it otherwise your just pissin in the wind.

Don't have access to that product.

The three products I can find locally have a good reputation (one being neem oil), but after spraying I still see the little black dots on the bottom of the leaves.

Are those spidermites? I thought they came in yellow and orange..

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I can't see any webbing? Have you removed it? First signs of the Borg is either the white spots on the leaves or the webbing.

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
You shouldn't be spraying sulfur based or neem based anything during flower, even that early.

Preventative maintenance during veg will avoid these problems, so for the future's sake I would count on taking better precautions during veg.

As for now, you're limited to products that are safe to spray in flower... and the reason for the funky residue may be because you applied a neem based product and then a sulfur based product, or vice versa, in too short of a period of time. How much time between those applications?

Scrappy-doo

Those look like spidermites to me!

Neem oil won't kill them right away it takes repeated applications every few days for 2-3 weeks. You can get a pyrethrin based spray like Doktor Doom if you want a contact killer that's safe for flowering plants but still you have to keep reapplying every few days for a couple weeks cause the sprays don't kill the eggs.

If you want to go the chem route it's pretty much a once and one, twice to be safe. IMO Forbid 4f is the best of the big 3 and seems to not stay in the plant as long as the others. Those types of sprays are only for veg so it could only be used for the next round if you are unable to kill all of them. Can be found on ebay in small amounts for 20 or so bucks.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
You are fighting the BORG. You only have one option. Burn down your growroom/house, clothes, possessions and move far away, naked and start over. Yes this sounds extreme and you may acquire some arson charges after doing this a few times but it's the ONLY way when battling the BORG.:biggrin:

panick503

Mighty wash is spendy, but for spot treating spider mites in flower it's the best thing I've found. If your infestation is limited to webbing on a select number of plants, just spray those ones really good.

I've never treated a whole room with it, it's just too expensive, but I imagine it would be just as effective for a knockdown, although depending on how bad you have them it will probably be necessary to reapply at least once more before harvest. I know I've used it on a couple plants six weeks into an 8 week flower cycle, and didn't notice the difference.

Really, if you're on top of it and get things under control in veg, spider mites ain't shit. Now I have broad mites. Makes me long for the days where the webs and little speck marks where the only things I had to look out for..

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i wouldn't worry about the leaves, if they stop functioning the plant will drop them and grow new ones. i never used any sprays on spidermites myself besides cold water which mites hate. cold. or alcohol which will kill em on contacts at 90%+ pure. also strips trichomes so only for veg. if you wanna go the nuclear route a hot shot pest strip in your cab with the plants for a week will annihilate them. after that you can toss the hotshot. infact you should because its got chemicals in it cancerous to humans. you're only supposed to use it for a little while.

Granger2

Veteran
Go to the Borg sticky in Cannabis Infirmary and read up. Search thread for my posts, the recent ones. You can do this organically. Best way is to stake plants and dunk all above ground plant. Good luck. -granger

Granger2

Veteran
Here you go...

I would use Azasol rather than Azamax or Azatrol. Azasol is oil free, causes no phytotoxicity, is more systemic, no smell after drying [to humans], no oil mess, similar price, dissolves instantly. In sum, more effective. Non messy since it's oil free

Use an Insecticide Soap rather than dish soap, etc.

Best way is to mix in a bucket, cover top of root ball with a rag or cardboard and immerse everything above ground. That way you get 100% coverage, and dunking them washes off many mites and eggs.

Also, spray walls, doors, floor, entire container including the bottom and soil surface with Soap, Pyrethrum, Cedarcide or GoGnats [best because Cedar is a repellant barrier]. The area sprays are essential.

The big key that has given me a once and for all kill [till I carry more in], is to do a second dunk 36 hours later, followed by a 3rd in 36, then a 4th in 48 hours, each time spraying walls, doors, floor, entire container. This kills any hatchlings before they have a chance to lay more eggs. Done in 5½ days. Good luck. -granger

ChenBenTz

I can't see any webbing? Have you removed it? First signs of the Borg is either the white spots on the leaves or the webbing.

I only had serious webbing on two plants (out of 13).

The webbing hasn't returned, but I'm worried that the sulfur on the leaves is going to reduce photosynthesis.

Anyone think so?

You shouldn't be spraying sulfur based or neem based anything during flower, even that early.

Preventative maintenance during veg will avoid these problems, so for the future's sake I would count on taking better precautions during veg.

As for now, you're limited to products that are safe to spray in flower... and the reason for the funky residue may be because you applied a neem based product and then a sulfur based product, or vice versa, in too short of a period of time. How much time between those applications?

Well, I sprayed them over a week ago and they're only 2 weeks into flowering, so it's the best I could have done.

At this point, I guess I can no longer use Neem Oil, so I'm not sure what else to do..

I don't mind spraying the entire room down, but this thread literally has about 8 people all recommending 10-12 different products.

Can anyone just give me the low-down here?

Also, I've already ordered the Hot Shot No Pest Strip because practically EVERYONE I know uses it. Now you guys are saying it's toxic? WTF.

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
I still think you should try the bonide 3 in 1 spray works great used it a few times with great results you can get it at home depot , garden centers, amazon. Granger suggestion of dunking the plants works good too.

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
Earth worm casting

Earth worm casting

I havn't had any mites since using ewc. I use it in a act and also a foliar. Organic soil. Anyone else seen this? I had them thru several crops, now no more. Good luck

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
I only had serious webbing on two plants (out of 13).

The webbing hasn't returned, but I'm worried that the sulfur on the leaves is going to reduce photosynthesis.

Anyone think so?

Well, I sprayed them over a week ago and they're only 2 weeks into flowering, so it's the best I could have done.

At this point, I guess I can no longer use Neem Oil, so I'm not sure what else to do..

I don't mind spraying the entire room down, but this thread literally has about 8 people all recommending 10-12 different products.

Can anyone just give me the low-down here?

Also, I've already ordered the Hot Shot No Pest Strip because practically EVERYONE I know uses it. Now you guys are saying it's toxic? WTF.

it's got carcinogens in it, which is why i said only use it for 7 days then toss it. did you even read my post?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
it's not arbitrary. sigh...the life cycle of an spidermite from birth to maturity is 7 days. in 7 more days they will have laid another 10,000 eggs.

did you do any research into this?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
You are clearly in the USA. No pest strips are banned everywhere else due to their danger. If you sold a plant in the UK with a no pest strip, you would get in more trouble for the strip than the plant.
The trouble with the Borg which is what spider mites get called due to their residence, is that they are hard to beat. Everyone develops their own way. The burn your house down and move suggestion being the only way to be sure. Also the stage you are at will lend itself to particular solutions unsuitable for other stages.
Personally I didn't give my solution as its too late for my solution. I would pull everything, wash up and start over at this point. I have done that a few times.

Latest posts

Latest posts