What's new

Testing out a new grow bin...

unk1

Hey there, starting this thread to test out a new grow bin. It is comprised of 2 40 gallon square containers stacked on top of each other making the total enclosed space 80 gallons. It is roughly 2'x2'x5' (lwh) fully assembled. With current set up, it has about 3 feet of grow space or 12 cubic feet. There is currently 67 watts of white LED lights(52watts are 5700K, 15watts are 2700K), with space for up to 140 watts(52 watts of 5700K, and 88 watts of the 2700K).

I do not currently have a picture of the actual bin, but I do have pictures of the first test plant. Back around new years I tried Sour Cream for the first time. After the first hit, I said to myself "I want to grow this." While preparing the second bowl there was the first and only seed in the bag. Perfect timing for the bin! Anyways.... On January 17 the seed was planted one inch down in a 3 inch top layer of coco coir. The remainder of the 5 gallon planter is recycled soil with added worm castings and coco. Recycled soil was FFOF. Here it is 27 days after planting seed.

Sorry for pic quality... was having trouble getting the lighting right for my camera.

Top views

Side views

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:

unk1

Okay, so I got some pictures showing the basics of the new bin.

Here it is sitting nicely in the corner. Doesn't take up too much floor space, its awesome.

Here is the fan. It is mounted so that it pulls air out of the bin.

Here is the inside view of the mounted fan.

Here is the 52 watt LED. Has built in cooling fan. Almost no heat anywhere!

Here is one of the 7.5 watt soft white bulbs. There is another on the other side. These were added, because with the fans, it was staying almost too cold in the bin. They are like little space heaters. The Sour Cream seems to love them, if not for just the added light.

and one more pic....

unk1

...and here is the air intake. There's another on the other side as well.

So, I think that covers just about everything. Any advice or constructive criticism would be appreciated! :biggrin:

unk1

What about light leaks during flowering?

the only light that can currently enter the bin is from the air intake holes at the bottom. Right now, it's not really an issue. It's on 18/6 light cycle, and when the lights go out it is pitch black in the room. I might have to worry about that later with 12 hours of darkness needed but I have a little bit longer to just watch it grow :)

unk1

any ideas for when that time comes? i really havent even started to think about it.

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
Make some form of a light trap. But if it's pitch black in the room I gues you don't need to worry.

unk1

was able to take a clone today, that went into 24 hrs light under two 7 watt CFLs and one 9 watt LED. will be going to the flower room once its safe to be left alone for more than a few hours.

unk1

hey thanks!

little update: took another clone for a backup/comparison. first clone went into the flower room. the plant is really starting to bush out! if its female, might have to take a bunch more clones before flowering it :) will get pics sometime soon.

unk1

Thanks Kiloz! appears to be similar size to your tent. i only read the first post so far, but going to check it out more now.

bootea

light trap

light trap

any ideas for when that time comes? i really havent even started to think about it.

There is always black pcp elbows glued into holes cut about where your intakes are now, and turned toward the floor; either inside or outside.
How are the two bins secured one to the other?

unk1

Update time!

the first clone in the flower room seems to have taken root. it is dark green and is standing up with little misting and no cup. the second clone that is on 24 hrs is in the same boat. still can't tell the sex, but it just started to grow tiny little nubs today. should be able to tell in a couple days!

the main plant got its lower fans clipped a few days ago. needed to slow its vertical growth a bit and let it bush out. screen installed a couple inches above the plant, just gotta let it start filling in. here's some pics.

Top view:

Side view:

unk1

There is always black pcp elbows glued into holes cut about where your intakes are now, and turned toward the floor; either inside or outside.
How are the two bins secured one to the other?

I was thinking of the elbows too, but what do you think of just cutting a long strip of cardboard out and covering it from the inside. a triangular prism with the triangle sides open towards the corners of the bottom of the bin.

The bins are secured by gravity. it's sturdy enough to withhold the force of a full grown adult tripping and stumbling into it ;)

unk1

what? another update? :)

decided to go with an even 100 watts for flower. just put in 4 12 watt, 2700K, 810 lumens to go along with the 52 watt, 5700K, 3200 lumens bulb already in there. and here are a couple of pics.

inside view...couldnt get a better shot of this.

and top view. these candelabra kits are a dream to work with. with socket enlargers, could have up to a 150 watt bulb in there. that might be too much though?

Last edited:

Kiloz

Looking good!! go for one more bulb if you can, more light is only good.
Do you know how warm it is in there?

Latest posts

Latest posts