What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Industrial hemp high in CBD - why not used for medical CBD strains?

OldSSSCGuy

My reading says that industrial hemp ("ditchweed") is called that primarily because it has negligible THD levels and high CBD levels.

If that is the case how come industrial hemp is not the panacea for those looking for high CDB strains?

Just curious...

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
My guess is from a smokers stand point it looks like crap and probably tastes like it too.

I was just reading the other day the strain called harlequin has between 4-7% CBD and like 4% THC all the while still having decent bag appeal and flavor.

What is the average CBD percentage on industrial hemp?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
What is the average CBD percentage on industrial hemp?
I'm going to guess that 4% is actually very abnormal for hemp. Seriously doubt that hemp has 'high' levels of cbd... unless it's a comparison to how much thc is in it.

Definitely room for me to be wrong though. :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

GF-Z

Bla bla bla thc tha thc-a cbd cbn bla bla bla...
plant came from earth. Every region has itz own landrace: mexico columbian afgani hind and etc.(some of them was especially pollinated with others in long time ago). But the main thing what plant cares genome,that unique programmed by earth tricomes network connected with terpenes and other oils which expressed via smell/taste and they also make something work differently.
What I wanted to say, I will never trust any parrot seeds which can be gmo or any bullshit in it, whatever, sticky resin from buds makes me stouny as hell and go to sleep, staring at nothing while being nothing actualy (dumbness feeling) . If i smoke untouched bud it makes me feel fully of everything(talking about sedative/relaxive indica with some little burst of sativa) & no dumbness feeling . So its completely different high( i toke resin sticky icky ICKY! ) its more concentrated than any street deep soap sh selled as good stuff.
And the point is that MEDICAL CANNBIS SHOULD BE UNIQUE, have some balance of tricomes that makes you feel good in mood, at the same time making mind take over pain and other bs... This is just an example. Just what ive researched every human responds differently. For example maybe for you auto strains will be knock out, while for me it will be mild buzz, because you sensitive to cbd more and etc. Its different to explain how it works in brain (different cbd/thc/thv/cbn ratios).
The reason i wrote all this is I will never believe in some medications like sativex and etc. Cannabinoid alone its like human somewhere without support, he can go wild. Or like nutrients, just give more N and half of strains will show toxicity. So i think everythere should be balance. Leave hemp for animals:ying: & dig from what you have in your garden.

Hempsmoke

I'm going to guess that 4% is actually very abnormal for hemp. Seriously doubt that hemp has 'high' levels of cbd... unless it's a comparison to how much thc is in it.

Yes exactly.
Industrial hemp doesent produce that many cannabinoids in its trichromes. While some plants can have decent frost coverage the cannabinoid content is very low and the "high cbd" is only in comparison to the thc content high...
The overall cannabinoid content is around 1-5% with cbd being the most common one.

TheCleanGame

Veteran
Harlequin is actually closer to 8%CBD and 6%THC... when properly grown. :D

I'm unable to get high from it at all and it medicates very well without knocking you out.

Keep it Clean! :D

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
I have plenty of Ditch Weed around, and am interested in testing it.
What are some respected labs that do Mj. testing, and what does this kind of testing cost?

Peace; 1TT

would love to know this too...wouldn't it be awesome if you could get a call from your dealer and meet him at the testing place and reeeaaallllyyyyy know what your buying and quality and price could be properly determined???I say it would be awesome

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
I have plenty of Ditch Weed around, and am interested in testing it. What are some respected labs that do Mj. testing, and what does this kind of testing cost?
Peace; 1TT

I read somewhere a while back that one of the big labs here, (CO) was offering free testing, a gram/ patient, in an attempt to try to locate high CBD strains…I don’t recall exactly which lab, (though I wanna say it was Full Spectrum Labs), it was a while ago though, so who knows if they even still do it. In any case, I don’t think it’s very expensive to have a sample tested; I seem to remember it being around $100. I’ll try to find the article, but it might be worth calling around about, in the meantime, if you’re really interested.

I hope you’re all having a splendid weekend!

Go Broncos! :dance013:

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
I would love any info you could find NattyGurl.
$100 is reasonable, FREE is better.
I may have to get out and gather some Hemp and send off a sample or 3.
It would be sweet if I find something with a load of CBD's.
I would need to find some low THC Indica to beef up the yields but could be well worth it if I find a hemp plant with two or three percent CBD's. Cause this crap sure doesn't have that much THC.
Probably just dreaming, but it is nice to dream.

Peace; 1TT

oldchuck

Veteran
Trucker, I think ditchweed is VERY valuable. But, obviously, not for getting high. I suspect the ditchweed gene pool is a lost treasure that needs to be recovered. Fortunately, Cannabis, is a remarkable survivor plant. It adapts to almost anything. Ditchweed is feral which means it escaped from cultivation and has learned to get along without human intervention. The genes are all still there. I think it is mostly descended from the legendary Kentucky hemp of the 19th century which was improved through the 1920s and spread all over the midwest.

I want seeds. Send me seeds and lets see if we can revive Kentucky hemp and improve it. I want to make a strain good for fiber uses, food uses, and high CBD for medicinal uses.

Seeds, I want ditchweed seeds. Screw THC. You can get that anywhere.

ydijadoit

http://analytical360.com/
I have spoken with these guys in the phone. If you can get through the chick that answers the phone, and talk to one of the techs, or the owner, he's a pretty sharp guy.
I spoke with him last month, and at the time, he was working out an agreement with one of the major shipping companies, to have samples sent to them 100%, on the up and up.
I don't know how that translates to crossing state lines, but they should be able to tell you.
These guys do all the testing in Wa., as far as I know.
Regards

oldchuck

Veteran
I'm off in the mountains near the East coast and very much looking forward to having some nearby lab access. Soon I hope. Hemp is now legal here and I fully intend to grow it. I'm working on building a seed stock right now. It is very easy to get a hemp grower license here. You go down to the Agriculture department, tell them where you will be growing, allow them to inspect and test if they want to, and pay $25. That's it. Minimal bureaucratic BS.

I ran across this article yesterday:

http://tokesignals.com/wild-hemp-grows-everywhere-in-nebraska-photos/

Some great pictures. The writer, Steve Elliott, says:
Wild, or “landrace” strains of hemp continue to flourish beautifully in Nebraska to this day, and these hardy cultivars, bred for fiber production and adaptation to the Midwestern climate, would make some great breeding stock for tomorrow’s inevitable strains of American-grown hemp, once the insanity of our current prohibition becomes a historical footnote.

There is so much potential within the genetics of these plants, not only for future industrial fiber production, but also because many of them contain high levels of cannabidiol (CBD), a non-psychoactive cannabinoid known for its medicinal and healthful effects.

Who knows how many great new medicinal and recreational strains could be produced by crossing these hardy, pest- and disease-resistant varieties with their high-THC cousins?

RoadRash

I have plenty of Ditch Weed around, and am interested in testing it.
What are some respected labs that do Mj. testing, and what does this kind of testing cost?

Peace; 1TT

$120 to $160 @ Steephill Labs, near Harborside in Oakland, CA, around 2009.

Josh has since left & started SC Labs, not sure what they charge.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Trucker, I think ditchweed is VERY valuable. But, obviously, not for getting high. I suspect the ditchweed gene pool is a lost treasure that needs to be recovered. Fortunately, Cannabis, is a remarkable survivor plant. It adapts to almost anything. Ditchweed is feral which means it escaped from cultivation and has learned to get along without human intervention. The genes are all still there. I think it is mostly descended from the legendary Kentucky hemp of the 19th century which was improved through the 1920s and spread all over the midwest.

I want seeds. Send me seeds and lets see if we can revive Kentucky hemp and improve it. I want to make a strain good for fiber uses, food uses, and high CBD for medicinal uses.

Seeds, I want ditchweed seeds. Screw THC. You can get that anywhere.

When hemp was made illegal most KY hemp seeds were lost. When WW2 broke out the govt. brought in hemp seeds from Brazil. So who knows what's growing in KY ditches to this day. :ying:

herm@n

After this year's harvest I collected some industrial hemp from the fields, the plants the harvesting machines left alone.

I am preparing RSO which is high in THC and low (close to zero) in CBD.
As I wanted to add-in some CBD I prepared RSO from the industrial hemp.

In my experience the yield is very low.
Between 1 and 2% of the dried buds is converted to RSO, as opposed to a yield of between 10 and 15% for cultivated strains.

I tested the RSO (using a DIY TLC testkit).
I found the CBD content in the RSO to be around 40%, THC was approximately 20%.

Interesting stuff, if only the yield would be higher it would be a promising alternative for medicinal use.....