What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

buying from dispensaries without a state license

MMJcali

I just moved to socal about four months ago and have been working pretty much everyday so I haven't had a chance to get my california drivers ID. When I got my medical rec I brought in a signed copy of my lease and they took that as proof of me living here.

I just ran out of homegrown and next harvest wont be for a while, can I use my signed lease to buy from dispensaries until I get my california ID?

thanks!

MMJcali

of course I can.

but here I can see if anyone has actually done it, how long it took, how they reacted to it etc.

and if nobody has tried it, then I can post what happened when I did.

thanks man

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
Your going to need a Calif ID from what I gather.
My brother has to show his Calif ID every time he goes in to a dispensary.
Good Luck

quadracer

The laws are a bit vague and the people are a bit relaxed you so could probably get a recommendation. First, the law only requires you to be a "resident" and the resident requirements are a bit vague.

What you do need is a licensed physician in California sign a doctors recommendation, that is what qualifies you as a patient in CA. Your physician may want to see a CA i.d. but they don't really deny services like that.

If you have a rec from a CA doctor and a passport you are good to go.

The only proof-of-residence requirements are for the county i.d. card, and you have to show proof that you live in the county. The i.d. card is optional and the rec is what really protects you (but they are a good idea)

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I just moved to socal about four months ago and have been working pretty much everyday so I haven't had a chance to get my california drivers ID. When I got my medical rec I brought in a signed copy of my lease and they took that as proof of me living here.

I just ran out of homegrown and next harvest wont be for a while, can I use my signed lease to buy from dispensaries until I get my california ID?

thanks!

I work for a Collective, and we have a Dispensary..and if you do not have a State ID to prove who you are...you are not getting in--
That is how cops try and say you are dirty..no ID...no weed--:tiphat:

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
If you have a rec from a CA doctor and a passport you are good to go.

I disagree..most figure if you have a Passport, you can get an ID--
215 requires you to be a Resident-- If a Collective sells to anybody who is not a Resident of Ca...they are in Violation--:tiphat:

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
215 requires you to be a Resident-- If a Collective sells to anybody who is not a Resident of Ca...they are in Violation--:tiphat:

This is correct, my buddy runs a local dispensary here in N. Cali, no California picture ID ....no boo!

Get your California ID, hell "illegals" can get one in like 15 minutes, you should be able to get one very quickly.

quadracer

The law states "Californians" which is vague considering each agency has their own definition of what qualifies you as a resident.

For example, here is the FTB's definition:

Who Are Residents and Nonresidents

A resident is any individual who is:

• In California for other than a temporary or transitory
purpose; or

• Domiciled in California, but outside California for a
temporary or transitory purpose . (See “Meaning of
Domicile’’ on page 8) .

A nonresident is any individual who is not a resident .

A part-year resident is any individual who is a California
resident for part of the year and a nonresident for part of
the year .

Pretty vague. What if someone just moved to California, has a CA. Dr's recommendation, but not a license? Does that not make them a patient?

I understand from a dispensary's point of view by playing it safe, but that does not mean that someone without a CA license is not a legal patient.

Here's the DMV's requirement:

Resident

516. "Resident" means any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.

The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle registration:

(a) Address where registered to vote.

(b) Location of employment or place of business.

(c) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.

(d) Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.

(e) Filing a homeowner's property tax exemption.

(f) Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.

(g) Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.

(h) Possession of a California driver's license.

(i) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.

The University of California has the most strict requirement for residency, but that is only for tuition reasons.

Here's what CA NORML has to say about it:

11. I am coming to California. Can I use medical marijuana there?

With a California doctor's recommendation. Most require residency.

quadracer

This is correct, my buddy runs a local dispensary here in N. Cali, no California picture ID ....no boo!

Get your California ID, hell "illegals" can get one in like 15 minutes, you should be able to get one very quickly.

That's not universally true and I have seen countless examples of people with a California doctor recommendation with no California ID card have no trouble getting their medicine.

I understand dispensaries want to "Cover their ass" and may require a California ID to enter but the law doesn't state anything about a California ID card to become a legal patient, only to obtain a state issued ID card.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I work at a dispensary and I have taken rent receipts or power bill to show that they are residents of California, they have to have a picture ID also doeant matter what state. Ive seen Dr's give ppl recs without a California ID. But if they dont show an ID or residency they dont get in, ppl from other states come in all the time trying to buy meds. Some day they should figure out how to let anyone with a rec buy meds, or just anyone over 21!

MMJ didnt the dispensary give you a card when you came in? usually they give you something that shows you are a member. We do

MMJcali

hmm...when I got my rec I just brought my out of state license and a signed copy of my lease...that was good enough for them.

Then they looked at my history, gave me the signed rec and asked me if I wanted the card, I said no thanks cause it was $55...

If I go to a dispensary with an out of state license, signed lease proving Im a resident, and my paper doctor's rec...one would think that would be enough; it was enough for the doc... :chin:

edit: maybe I should just try it already. admittedly, I'm just a little bit scared.

MMJcali

I just reread a lot of the prior posts, let me clarify a few things -

I DO have a state license, its just not from CA because I just moved out here.

I DO have proof of residency in my signed lease.

I already have the rec and its 100% legitimate.

Not gonna harvest for another 60 days so, I thought I may as well buy some at a dispensary...

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hmm...when I got my rec I just brought my out of state license and a signed copy of my lease...that was good enough for them.

Then they looked at my history, gave me the signed rec and asked me if I wanted the card, I said no thanks cause it was $55...

If I go to a dispensary with an out of state license, signed lease proving Im a resident, and my paper doctor's rec...one would think that would be enough; it was enough for the doc... :chin:

edit: maybe I should just try it already. admittedly, I'm just a little bit scared.

What?..why are they charging you when you sign up for their dispensary?...we have no membership charge, I dont understand what they are giving you for that 55 bucks?..there are like 100 dispensarys out there, just go to another one.

MMJcali

no that was at the doctor's, they said if I paid $55 I can get the 'official' medical patient card...but I heard people say the paper rec was just as good.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ohhh I see...yea if you go to a dispensary with a rental agreement and the dr rec you should be good to go.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome have fun and enjoy! Just bring as much paperwork as you have to show you are a resident of Cali, the more the better.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
usually the cards have 24/7 verification ...and a picture on it all in one..then you don't need anything else....there shops everywhere and delivery too...yeehaw..if you look,,, so shall you find...everyone has diff policies