What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

URSA Optilux/SS315/KISS/coco/veg+bloom/4x4

saitama

Figured I would start my own grow diary as I have finally mustered enough courage to and it will probably be good for me to document and get input from other people on my own thread, rather than hijacking others :biggrin:. This is my third grow, last run was decent and I hit >1gpw w/ forum cut cookies on a Sun Systems LEC 315. I had lockout issues and some PM, but I think the end product was great.

This will mostly be pictures until they catch up to where I am currently. I ended up with this setup after reading a bunch of threads like the KISS/V+B thread and "a few things I learned about growing in coco". So much info on this forum and very helpful people but I have mostly just been lurking until recently. I felt it was time to contribute and hopefully gain more knowledge.

Here's the setup:
White Widow Fem from ILGM
4x4
veg under SS LEC 315 (3100K) I will be switching to the 4200K and getting another tent for a perpetual grow eventually
flower under URSA Optilux 16
2 gal pots fed 6x a day in flower
50/50 coco/perlite Cloud Coir
black hole drippers
20gal rubbermaid tote
1000gph mag drive pump
Cutting edge 3 part (used this until I received my V+B)
Hydroponic Research Veg+bloom RO/Soft
+Life every now and then
+Shine @ week 3 flower with shine finish

A few pics from last run:
ftwgzSl.jpg

dWycBVs.jpg

Ngup5ly.jpg

Last edited:

saitama

On with the show:

Seeds popped
kYb8ipP.jpg

After a little veg
37MlmCo.jpg

Up potted
7tmEXbs.jpg

loving the V+B
NIhPE2X.jpg

played with LST a little
oxfMCTE.jpg

saitama

up potted to 2gal:
zJoWBvp.jpg

trimmed and set up dripper v1
r5VSA27.jpg

threw on the net:
FLQ4DWO.jpg

upskirt shot
SGmvGgb.jpg

growing into the net:
S2UdZWY.jpg

saitama

Plants are yellowing from light stress and possible manganese def. I have flushed well, but they seem to be happy otherwise. Hope they bounce back.

These pics are from last night and the last few days (3/20). Mid week 3 of flower and mid week 4 since 12/12

reBb93v.jpg

fZeDWNN.jpg

yp1ju2T.jpg

def here:

KWvhvCM.jpg

saitama

Any input and feedback is appreciated! Hopefully things start to look up. FWIW the lower growth on the yellowing plants is still dark green, so this is why I think it's light stress.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Looks good so far, props

I like growing canopies that are less dense, the air exchange pay off in (fewer) bigger buds.

starke

Looking good. If I can ever get my wiring finished I'm set to start a run in a 5x5 with my new URSA. Good luck.

saitama

Looks good so far, props

I like growing canopies that are less dense, the air exchange pay off in (fewer) bigger buds.

Thanks! This is my first scrog so I didn't really know what I was in for. I'm definitely going to go for fewer, bigger buds next round.

saitama

Looking good. If I can ever get my wiring finished I'm set to start a run in a 5x5 with my new URSA. Good luck.

Can't wait to see how you do with it! Thanks for stopping by.

I was thinking I should maybe trim my canopy (fan leaves) a little, to prevent PM as I have had issues with it in the past. Though, I would have had it already in veg with this many leaves touching, so maybe this strain is more resilient? I was running sealed before and now this room is vented so that could also contribute. I'm just incredibly paranoid about PM.

saitama

Day 1 week 4 (day 22)

.3 starting .4EC of shine and .7EC of V+B RO

1.4EC total

Almost like they're two different strains. Not sure what is causing it, but I have contacted ursa.

HxrdzWv.jpg

Qsh0luK.jpg

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey deepfried. If the yellowing/odd growth is more focused in the center while the perimeter plants are doing fine it is definitely light stress. The center is obviously where most of the light is focused. I am very curious to know how high you had your light throughout the grow. I will mirror my light height with yours and keep it a bit higher than you did to test it out. I had the symptoms I mentioned happen with 600w gavitas. It just fried everything in the center. I could never get the height right.

If you can please let us know height of light from canopy throughout grow and when you noticed trouble. Your plants were amazing in veg. I wonder if you lowered it in flowering...

You can also have two issues going on at once like I did with the gavitas...Heat issues definitely contributed to the light stress. Have you been able to keep your temps in the tent under 80?

I am pretty positive by your pics the light is just too low as the it really looks like the perimeter plants look great while the center is being hit hard.

saitama

Hey deepfried. If the yellowing/odd growth is more focused in the center while the perimeter plants are doing fine it is definitely light stress. The center is obviously where most of the light is focused. I am very curious to know how high you had your light throughout the grow. I will mirror my light height with yours and keep it a bit higher than you did to test it out. I had the symptoms I mentioned happen with 600w gavitas. It just fried everything in the center. I could never get the height right.

If you can please let us know height of light from canopy throughout grow and when you noticed trouble. Your plants were amazing in veg. I wonder if you lowered it in flowering...

You can also have two issues going on at once like I did with the gavitas...Heat issues definitely contributed to the light stress. Have you been able to keep your temps in the tent under 80?

I am pretty positive by your pics the light is just too low as the it really looks like the perimeter plants look great while the center is being hit hard.

Thanks for the response! I was running a 315 CMH for veg (3100K). I switched over to the ursa around day 6 of 12/12 and ran it at 22" for a few days, thinking the yellowing was fast, new growth. I raised it up bit by bit a few days later to 27" but can't raise it up more. It's definitely light stress as the outsides are much more green and happy.

Heat has never gone above 80F.

I'll see about getting creative to raise the light more. Pretty bummed about this but they still seem to be happy. The plants to the left popped from seed earlier and have a tighter root zone in these 2 gal pots. The plants to the right have almost completely greened up, so I'm wondering if the plants on the left are root bound. Should I try to supplement with nitrogen or will that be like not getting enough sleep and drinking coffee?

Again, thanks for stopping in. The thread hasn't caught much traction. I'm wondering if I should as a mod to move it.

OkIsAZS.jpg

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do not add more of anything! It is not a lack of N it is definitely light bleaching. The good thing is that at least we all know the center is hot if too close. If having it higher does not fix the problem or it is an impossibility I think this problem can be easily fixed by perhaps using thin strips of aluminum tape on the center oriented lights (Maybe an X pattern). You could paint as well. Also you could use some form of greenhouse plastic to diffuse it a bit in the center. Lots of things you can try that should work. Shade screen is another idea. I would actually go ahead and do one of these if they will be stretching anymore.

Don't fret you know exactly what the problem is and at least it is something that can either be avoided next time by shorter plants or getting rid of the hot spots by some method like mentioned before.

Your outer plants look great so we know these lights can definitely get the job done.

saitama

Do not add more of anything! It is not a lack of N it is definitely light bleaching. The good thing is that at least we all know the center is hot if too close. If having it higher does not fix the problem or it is an impossibility I think this problem can be easily fixed by perhaps using thin strips of aluminum tape on the center oriented lights (Maybe an X pattern). You could paint as well.

Don't fret you know exactly what the problem is and at least it is something that can either be avoided next time by shorter plants or getting rid of the hot spots by some method like mentioned before.

Your outer plants look great so we know these lights can definitely get the job done.

Thank you for the reassurance! I have some aluminum venture tape I can try. Perhaps a .5" or 1" X over the four center cobs?

wZvHUjo.jpg

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes I would go ahead and do that. Try 1/4-1/2 inch thick x's or single strip. This may take a bit of tuning, but at least we know we can do it and it is a very easy fix. This is an old method for certain bulbs that get hot in the center or where height restriction like in your case required this. BUT BEFORE YOU DO. I do not know what type of material the round glass looking bulbs are that you will be putting the tape on. Hopefully alcohol solvent or whatever used to take sticky tape mess off if ever needed or environment changes is not hurt by this? My lights are in storage so I am not sure if that was glass or some form of plastic? Judging by the weight of the fixtures when I loaded them I would think it is glass.

If you are afraid of damaging them then a square piece of screen could be cut that covers those 4 lights and used rope or string of some sort tied ot light to keep it in place.

This is really great info for us man. Sorry you are taking one for the team. The damage won't be too bad and shouldn't hurt your yield too much but it will affect it. Your good quality pictures and having started with a perfect grow is really invaluable knowledge for us.

EDIT: I edited this be sure to read it again what I added I feel important.

saitama

Yes I would go ahead and do that. Try 1/4-1/2 inch thick x's or single strip. This may take a bit of tuning, but at least we know we can do it and it is a very easy fix. This is an old method for certain bulbs that get hot in the center or where height restriction like in your case required this.

This is really great info for us man. Sorry you are taking one for the team. The damage won't be too bad and shouldn't hurt your yield too much but it will affect it. Your good quality pictures and having started with a perfect grow is really invaluable knowledge for us.

Will do tonight when they wake up. I was thinking of a way to diffuse the light and this is a great idea. I can't tell you how happy I am to be receiving input and support. Thank you so much.

I'm not growing for profit, but more so to hone a craft in a field I'm interested in moving into. To me yield is more for pride and while it sucks seeing my plants not at 100%, it is all a learning experience. Gaining the knowledge now far outweighs the loss in yield and having to learn the lesson in a larger environment down the road.

Again, I appreciate your time and can't thank you enough.

Do you think they'll green up if I can get the light diffused enough?

Read your edits. I'm pretty sure they are glass. Maybe Ken can chime in

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Will do tonight when they wake up. I was thinking of a way to diffuse the light and this is a great idea. I can't tell you how happy I am to be receiving input and support. Thank you so much.

I'm not growing for profit, but more so to hone a craft in a field I'm interested in moving into. To me yield is more for pride and while it sucks seeing my plants not at 100%, it is all a learning experience. Gaining the knowledge now far outweighs the loss in yield and having to learn the lesson in a larger environment down the road.

Again, I appreciate your time and can't thank you enough.

Do you think they'll green up if I can get the light diffused enough?

Read your edits. I'm pretty sure they are glass. Maybe Ken can chime in

They won't green up again as the plant cells have been damaged, but it shouldn't get worse either. The new bud growth should look good though. :tiphat: