What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PH Additives

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
It's a conversation on PH additives. Switching from PH-up to Olympus Up and looking to get info on other options. Costs, natural, easy to use etc. It seems that older plants can go lower on ph while young ones have less tolerance for ph deviating off 5.9 or so.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I Don't use pH down, as I got slightly alkaline water.

But for any pH buffer for growing, id say avoid brands that don't list what's in the bottle.
You want a Potassium based pH up for growing, but unless your water source is acidic. I would try and avoid using both pH up and down, unless your running commercial size grows with automatic buffering.

Personally I don't like that, I had better results with fluctuating pH.

I'v always rooted my clones at 5.5 pH, never had issues with young plants either.

Ph down from growth technology always been a good..

Vinegar should do the job but just the smell puts me off putting that in my res..

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've used GH's potassium based pH up for over 15 years. Amazing how far a kilo lasts, amazing how consistent the batches have been as well. In all that time I've only used about 2 pints of pH up. lol Not a big fan of silicate sources for pH up, after the 2nd week of flower. My observations pointed to hotter, less frangible end flowers when used after that point.

Best pH down to use is nutes. ;)

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Any experience on calcium based Up like Olympus Up. Sounds like a win - win.

Drop That Sound

Any time I need PH to go up I add extra (full dose in DWC) silica supplement.

Olympus up has a ton of sediments in it, you have to shake it with the bottle taped to a sawzall blade... and ya shouldn't ever really need to go up anyway. NFTG's products get rancid real quick in a dwc setup, demeters destiny is like adding curdled milk chunks ;)

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Anyone using the PH perfect by torus hydro. ion based ph control without the need for ph +/-

Sign

For pH down I buy phosphoric acid by the gallon from home depot. It's marketed in the paint section as a prep-etch acid.
Klean-Strip Phosphoric.
http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/phosphoric-prep-etch

It's pretty concentrated and about 15 a gallon

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I mix RO and tap. I use the hardness of my source water to get my pH in range so I'm using less stuff to adjust for pH lately. The higher I want my ec the more solids I need in my water to keep my nutes from driving the pH way down.

For adjusters I use generic PH up and down I believe they are Phosphoric Acid and Potassium Hydroxide or I will use seaweed extract to knock it down or add SM-90 to bump it up.