What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ballest wiring help asap

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
ok i wired my 1000 k from 110 to 220 v,and it is good ,but when i put the plugs on the power supply one blade is vertical and one is horazonal ,my question is is the vertical netural ,and horizonal hot ?or if the are all wired the does it matter ?i am running 3k from a 4k timer

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Does it not have a third prong? in most 220, both are hot, and the third prong is the common.

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
yes it does one ground one hot one nutral ? dont knoe i wired the timer from the breaker box at 220 for the plug in for the timer ,timer out has three prongs like befor one vert one horz with a ground when i changed from 110 to 220 on the ballest it was a one wire change ,so this is ground hot ,hot ?incoming to ballest ,and the same for the timmer out ?

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Yeah, what you're calling the ground - which it is on a 120 outlet - is the common on 220. So Vert blade is Hot, Hori blade is hot, and then third prong is common.

stonewall

if you are in north america

if you are in north america

In a three wire 240 VAC circuit there is NO COMMON. The third wire is the ground and does/should not carry current. It is there for safety, so that you can ground the equipment chasis.

Only in a four wire 240 VAC circuit will there be a common, which may carry current.

In the 3 wire circuit, the two blades on the plug ( the horizontal and vertical) are both hot( 120 volts each, 240 volts together) and does not matter which is which as long as you wire everything the same (consistantly) through out the circuit.

Please be safe and do not give advice if you do not completely understand electricity.

Last edited:

kingspade

stonewall said:
In a three wire 240 VAC circuit there is NO COMMON. The third wire is the ground and does/should not carry current. It is there for safety, so that you can ground the equipment chasis.

Only in a four wire 240 VAC circuit will there be a common, which may carry current.

In the 3 wire circuit, the two blades on the plug ( the horizontal and vertical) are both hot( 120 volts each, 240 volts together) and does not matter which is which as long as you wire everything the same (consistantly) through out the circuit.

Please be safe and do not give advice if you do not completely understand electricity.

yup

G

Guest 10952

Yup should work for you man. Otherwise there is acouple electrical sites you can look up and see if you got it right.

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
all worked out ,but had to drop one k there was just not enough room for the the third 10 inc cool tube so i guess its back to two k and an ac

ickster

Smoke another joint dude....

If I am reading correctly,

You scenario has one flaw ......

The green wire is not electrically connected to anything on appliances etc. It is attached to the frames or bodies of electrical devices. It protects you when the frame becomes comes charged (because of a short, frayed burned, or nicked wires etc) because it is grounded, and Electricity takes the easiest path to ground.