What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

need to add outlet

aeric

Veteran
need to add an extra outlet and put about 500 watts total on it...my electrical knowledge sux and I don't know any electricians, so...is it safe to run a long heavy duty extension cord from the room below? Where should I put a GFCI or circuit box? I was thinking: outlet-gfci-extra heavy duty extension cord-surge protector or cicuit box. That seems like too many. Cord warnings say: do not run under carpet, thru floor etc...what about a fire insulated cord? I am confused...what is the safest/best way short of adding an outlet?

G

if its from another room , you could get extra i mean extra heavy duty cords used in construction or sets, not any homedepot cords.... or you could get some romex and run it to the room you need.

G

This is how I make my cords for grows.

Just a regular piece of 12/2 wire and the recepticle with a grounded plug on the other end. This is standard house wiring and is heavily insulated. It is ok to use extension cords if the wire gauge is right for the application. I would advise you buying a 12/2 or 14/2 extension cord of the shortest length since the longer they are the more resistance it causes. 12/2 would be best and try to plug it into a gfci (ground fault circuit interupt) outlet if possible at all times when growing.

Latitude18

Yes you can make your own cord with some 12/2 , prob'ly $15 for 50 foot , and a male and female ends . BUT!!!! That don't mean the room your come'n from isn't on the same 15amp circuit , or , if it is on a diff breaker , what else is on that breaker , You can have up to 10-15 plugs / lights combos already on the breaker , so I'd say do a lil investigate'n first , you may find a better plug/breaker to run off , maybe a outdoor plug by the window , or such

if you do go the cord'd method , make your own with the house wire . It's soild wire , compared to stranded , it'll be easier to get around corners and under doors and threw walls
here's a quick pic of 14/2 in my box , I did everything with it

also you could go under the house , crawl space / basement. and depending if there is room in the panel you could add a breaker and run it the right way

hope this helps , it's all easy , if you do it right , wrong may burn your ass

all depends on your house

Last edited:

aeric

Veteran
thanks every1 for the replies!

where to begin....i measured and the cord would only need to be 25 ft (exactly) from the outlet in the room below and would need 2 bends, and go thru a floor. the basement is 2 floors directly below with the breaker...but house and breaker is old, not even a grey box with the black switches...just old metal box with wires coming out of fuses. there are also outlets down there which could be tapped into. that would come out to almost 25 ft also. is it feasable to go through the wall, down to the basement to another outlet, with a 14/3 cord?

Shmike: How easy is it usually to "fish back to the panel"? is the wall generally clear enough of obstructions to be able to do that? I dont have the $ to pay someone, that's why i was trying for the extension cord thing. I have a book on household wiring but it's over my head without someone being more descriptive. I won't go anywhere near the service panel without absolute confidence.

Where in the line does the GFCI go? At the beginning or just before the surge protector?

This setup would only be for the summer, then moving to a newer house.

Hey, guys, can't we all get along. IC Mag is supposed to be a place where people can hang out and make a few friends, and hopefully learn a few things along the way.

Please don't turn IC Mag into another Overgrow.com where people spend their time raggin' on each other. :badday:

I am not trying to be an ass, I just don't like to see two fellow Marijuana enthusiasts battling it out. Lets just sit back, take a few hits, and ease the tension. :joint:

Latitude18

Here here !!! Jedi is right , no need for all that ...

aeric , you say you have screw in fuses ? thats old shit ... I wouldn't go into the panel for anything but to unscrew the fuse and go around he house with a elec. tool and see what runs on what fuse , make yourself a list of what runs what ,, then choose your plug to run your lights. Get some 14/2 or 12/2 latter being bigger and better , and a male and female plug end ( that has clamps to secure the wire in the plug , and some wire staples ( U shaped nails are avail. , But they also have plastic U's with a lil nail to each side, those are best because they won't pinch) then when you lay it all out , be aware not to pinch , scratch , or bend the wire into a place where it'll get worn , steped on , or pinched in a door . do all that and you'll be fine and safe. Easy 1,2,3 ... also to check to see if the plug you want to use is going to work , just plug it into the plug you want to use with the lights ( or whatever is on the same curcuit ) on , if it starts and runs your basicly in good shape.

hope this is to the point and helps you get your grow going

ickster

As an Electrician, All I'd like to say is...

If you have no experience with electricity, don't fuck with it!

And I cannot emphasize enuff'....

Aluminium wiring is EXTREMELY dangerous. There are many "qualified" Electricians that do not know the proper methods to "pigtail". Wire nuts and Nolox are not the correct method. It requires special Training, Certification, and tools to safely work with Aluminum household wiring.

When on the job, my opinion when asked abt AL wiring was (half jokingly) "MOVE" !!

I have also learned over the years that "Joe Homeowner" should never be given instuctions on how to do home wiring, because they always mis-interpert instructions, or make poor decisions.

Guys, Electricity is extremely Dangerous.

Also, I didn't see anyone mention the fact that there are no breakers is indicative of overloaded circuits. The wiring associated with that era is inadaquate for todays demands. Adding 500w to any existing circuit will almost surely over load it!!
Just my two cents...

aeric

Veteran
I looked in my trusty electrical book and there was a picture "an obsolete fuse box" that was exactly like mine. Like I said...without absolute confidence and clarity I will not go near it. The house is definately more than 40 years old, possibly 70+, but many things have been updated. The best solution may be to wait until moving like Ickster said. The information u guys have given is extremely useful for the forum, but it's still over my head a little bit until it all "clicks". The info about going through walls was great. The warnings were heard loud and clear everyone.

I found a new route and with a little bit of re-arranging i can get the total cordage down to 18 ft. if extension cords...16 ft if going strait to the box. I had extension cords all over my last "thing" and about 1800 watts all on one circuit....clicking of timers and air conditioner going on and off all the time...i thank the grow gods i didn't die in my sleep now that I know better. But at the same time I wonder if extension cord warnings are overkill. For one, whatever cord gets used will not be moved, certainly never stepped on and will be out of the way. Two, I may feel it at least once every few days to see if it feels hot. Some of you are sugggesting to make my own cord with better wire...that computes.

I'm going to check out all the circuits and figure out what goes where. So that whatever is done...the circuit wont be overloaded. If I don't update u know why lol.

aeric

Veteran
Thanks everyone seriously. It's all good Shmike cause I can tell both you and GH are good peeps, and you got past it. Service upgrade is an understatement.