What's new

Cool white CFLs... can't find blue spectrum anywhere!

BananaBuds

So I am planning on doing something with some basic spiral cfls. Just plugging them in to sockets and running maybe 6 of the 42w ones across the top for vegetative growth. Only rpoblem is that I can find almost any size, shape and brand of the soft white (warm white, best for flowering, right?) and I can't seem to find a single spiral cool white (best for veg, right?) All I see are the long tubes flouros in cool white. But I don't want to buy the fixtures just for vegging. Where the hell can I find cool white spirals??

Xdox

I dont think it really matters that much unless you plan on doing your whole grow from veg to flower on cfl lights if its on just veg with some cfls i think its fine

Sauce

I've seen bulbs labeled 'daylight' at Wal Mart and that's what you want. They are 6500k.

They're hard to find though and I've only seen them a few times. Last trip to Wal Mart they had 3 different sizes of daylight fluros. Haven't seen cool white cfl's at all.

most of the blue ones are called sunlight or daylight cfls. and yes softwhites are warm whites. imo the soft whites run a bit hotter than the sun/daylights

G

If your running nothing but floros I suggest Tek Lighting. Cant beat em for loe eattage lighting.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
ok back from the store lol

hints n tips for cfl use

1. most ppl think the sweet spot on the cfl is the very tip of the bulb, not so the sweet spot where most light is emitted is from the side length of bulb. so by hanging bulb above plant @ 90 degree angle to tops of the plants you'll provide the plant with the light's sweet spot.

2. cfl's provide very nice lighting for a plant to increase the intensity of the lighting try this. take peice of tin foil DUL SIDE OUT the length from inside of the ballast to inside tip of bulb {sprial cfl's this works best and easiest for} roll it into a pencil shape. now wedge between the inside tip of bulb and the inside of the ballast, now instead of light bouncing around the inside of coil. it's reflected directly out, to help direct the light flow another peice of foil dull side in from inside edge of ballast to end of bulb. object is to cover top half of the bulb. dont i say again dont cover the ballast it needs to breath a small fan blown across the ballast and bulb erea keeps any heat from building up.

ppl say to hang a cfl 1-4 inch above tops of plants, i've found 3 inch to be the best hight to have lighting above plants. my last grow i experinced 1.5-2 inch growth every day during veg i vegged 18 on 6 off lighting. for an idea of what the foil looks like in the cfl

reason for dull side of tin foil is because it dosent hold heat as bad as the shiney side of the foil. puff puff passn g/l

Latitude18

good Info peeps .

good Info peeps .

.. lots of good info on cfl's <saves me alot of time >I have 2 - 20 w 5000k tubes and two 42 w 2600k cfl's in about 22x24" box with adjustable shelf . thats 2.44 amps with the 80 cfm fan , so i can even go more as i move the self up , or if i want to flower inbetween veg'n

ickster ; I want a few of those huge bulbs , 4 of them in a lil 4x4x8 room ... yeah i think so

Fat Puta

Go to Home Depot and get 27 w DAYLIGHT CFLS u can get them in packs which in the long run will save u money. they are by far the best imo. I think its 12 bucks for a 3 pack. :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts