What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

400w HPS/MH ~AK48~ DWC ScrOG

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
:wave: Hey ICMAG!!! :wave:

>>>Thanks for opening your doors to OG refugees, i feel right at home here. Anyway, this is my first real grow and it took me a very long time to get this started. I built the cab about a year ago, but havent got around to growing. Right now i've got 2 AK48 clones vegging under the HPS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
:joint: :woohoo: HARVESTED! CHECK PAGES 9-11 :woohoo: :rasta:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------​

>>>Well here some info on my setup (Everything is DIY):

1. DIY 400w HPS/MH switchable system ($100)
  2. 6 plant DWC (only using two plant sites) ($20)
  3. 160 CFM inline duct fan ($35)
  4. DIY Carbon Filter (not being used, restricts too much air) ($45 wasted)
  5. 4'Lx2'Wx4'H Cabinet ($70)
  6. 2500 cc/min airpump ($8)
  7. Small HEPA blower/ionizer (Free)
  8. Nutes: See below ($55)
  9. Accessories (Electrical, nuts, bolts, ducting etc.) ($30)
  10. Rubbermaid setup for mother plants (No longer in use) ($40)
TOTAL COST: About $400 (Includes taxes and shipping)

>>>My growlight is a security light which was converted into a remote ballast (cost me only $100):

Security light opened up and wired:

Mounting the ballast to ballast box:

Firing up the HPS: :hotbounce

Firing up the MH: :mad:

Side By Side Comparison:

>>>The Reflector is just an aluminum baking pan:

>>>My cabinet cost me about 60 dollors to build:

Heres a pic of it being built:

Heres some pics of it completed:

>>>The nutes i'm using are GH's MaxiGro and MaxiBloom, GH's PH up/down/tester and Dip n' Grow rooting concentrate:

>>>The hydro system is just a 15 gallon tub (using only 10 gallons) with 6 net cups:

>>>The ventilation system is just a cheap suncourt inline duct fan from homedepot, which cost me about 30 bucks for the fan and wiring materials. The box says 250cfm...DO NOT BE FOOLED. The actual fan speed is only 160 cfm; the 250cfm rating is the "boosted speed". Another thing about this fan is that its a piece of garbage when it comes to overcomming "backpressure", meaning it cant push or pull air through a carbon filter very well. I was forced to remove my carbon filter because the poor airflow allowed heat to get trapped in the cab. With out any air restrictions (carbon filter) however, this fan provides adequate cooling. I've also added a hepa filter in the cab for its blowing power and it lowered my temps by 2 degrees. Temps now are about 82 F:

>>>I'll take some pics of my 2 clones asap. But for now, feel free to comment on anything.

Last edited:

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
DAY 1 (Transplant)
99 :canabis: DAYS REMAINING
Ph: 6, Temp: 82 F, PPM: :confused:, Humidity: :confused:

>>>Well today is day 1, and here are some shots:

>>>Sorry for some of the pics, the HPS flickers like hell and the camera cant focus.

>>>Theres nothing special to see here, i've just recently transplanted the clones to the netcups. I'm growing only 2 clones because these were the healthiest ones, the others either died or werent rooting fast enough. My mother plants are dead too, i forgot to feed them for weeks. If these clones dont make it, i'll have to start all over.

>>>The clones are kinda burned from nute deficiencies, but they should recover very soon.

>>>I'll add the scrog net after the plants get big enough

>>>Heres a pic of my hps (GE Lucalox) and the cheap ass ghetto reflector (works great!! :D ):

Fan in action (Had to remove carbon filter for temp. issues):

Last edited:

Germankreuz

Yeah looks great man! I love the pop bottle humidity domes, definetly gonna keep that in mind for future uses. Keep us posted!

Underground Man

Great cabinet!

A centrifugal fan is worth the money. I know I tried the "inductor" and some PC fans before I shelled out the cash for an elicent :D

good luck :lurk:

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
DAY 2 (Transplant)
98 :canabis: DAYS REMAINING
Ph: 6, Temp: 85 F, PPM: :confused:, Humidity: :confused:

>>>Ok so, not much going on today. The clones are looking ok, considering all the abuse they've been through. Temps increased just a little bit. Im worried about when summer hits, temps in the cab could reach up to 90 F!

Plant 2:

Plant 1:

Thermometer:

Last edited:

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
DAY 3 (Transplant)
97 :canabis: DAYS REMAINING
Ph: :confused:, Temp: :confused:, PPM: :confused:, Humidity: :confused:

>>>Well, today i was in for a little surprise. The roots are showing on the bottom of the netcups:

Plant 1:
10152IMG_0366.jpg

Plant 2:

I also switched the HPS with the MH. I'm kinda nervous because MH puts out more heat than HPS (MH is less efficient), but i'm willing to take the risk.

MH:

>>>Well heres some more pics of my 2 clones. Still, nothing really special.

Plant 1:

Plant 2:

>>>Damn, gotta get a TDS Pen very soon. I'm broke and can only spend up to $30. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
Right! eBay! I forgot! I'm looking at some great deals now, i'll order 1 asap. Thanks.

Hey Pontiac, I `member you from OG! Nice to see that you have your grow up and running, its actually really clean nice little setup you got going there bro. Cannot wait to see your results, it's gonna look so sick once you get a full garden going in there. Just watch the temps, it can be a real bitch on the plants.

G

Nice start..Once the clones establish a nice root system the plant will take off.

Keep it up.

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
Hey sup man! Glad you remembered! Hopefully Things will turn out great, so far its been a disaster. My motherplants are dead (forgot to feed them), and so are 8/10 of my clones. I shouldve NEVER cloned in oasis cubes, they suck for cloning. Oasis cubes are too coarse for delicate roots. The 2 remaining clones are growing kinda fast, in just 2 days the roots popped out of the netcups. Once they get big enough, i'll take a clone from one of them and make that into a mother plant. So everything should go back to normal in a month or so.

I've been watching your grow for a while now and it looks CRAZY! Hope you update it asap.

Last edited:

ickster

Pontiac..Excellent cabinet ,Did a good job. I know what you mean about those inline fans, when my 8" one sucked (no pun intended) out, I added a 6" one on the end...Damn thing sounds like a jet! LOL it does the job that way 'tho

Good Luck and Stay High!

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
ickster said:
Pontiac..Excellent cabinet ,Did a good job. I know what you mean about those inline fans, when my 8" one sucked (no pun intended) out, I added a 6" one on the end...Damn thing sounds like a jet! LOL it does the job that way 'tho

Good Luck and Stay High!
Heh, if you look closley, it looks like i made passive intakes by firing a shotgun. I plan to cut that out and add some louvers.

I'll prolly get rid of the fan during summer, temps will be way to high and i'll need something more powerfull.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts