What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have a 3rd of all cofee shops been closed?

Sativied

Veteran
The decisions regarding drug policies in Amsterdam aren't up to one particular guy so that seems unlikely in any case. If there's 'a' guy it's the mayor and he's still the same mayor. His party is no longer the leading party in the city since like forever and that can very well have a positive effect on the longer term but that likely isn't going to change Project 1012 (cleaning up the RDL to be a supposedly better entrance of the city) or stop the closing of those 30-something coffeeshops.

The initial goal (besides the project 1012) was reducing the amount of coffee shops from 220 to 150. There once were something like 270... Anyway, those 150 aren't going anywhere anytime soon so it will stay a pot smoker city for the foreseeable future. The MoJ (ultimately responsible for the backward approach) isn't going to last much longer... he recently tried to push a law that would have made it illegal to sell mj grow gear... instead of doing that the Senate told him to start taking all those mayors screaming for regulation (to supply coffee shops legally) seriously.

PapstUrban

anyone have the latest on this, have those shops been closed that are on the list?

Just coffeeshop 36 is closed, hill street blues have no lizens anymore to sell weed but its sttill open.
The goverment had realized that they did go to fast with the 1012 project and it cost to much so it looks a little bit better for the red light district but few coffeeshops outside had to close in the last few month.

Wu-tang

I don't know if any of those 12 shops have been closed. About a month ago several were still open, maybe all of them (haven't actually looked)

You're implying you checked all the shops which I doubt is the case

Ok name one coffeeshop that had to close because of this private school?

Before you say hill street blues it lost its licence to sell weed over different things but like I said the shop is still opened
And stop jumping down my throat if your not sure yourself why are you saying I'm wrong when you yourself don't even no

Sativied

Veteran
You said:

"Everything is normal ATM

Shops opened"

But it seems you meant everything in one particular street or everything with those 12 shops instead...

Damn people are touchy at this site.

if your not sure yourself why are you saying I'm wrong when you yourself don't even no
I never said you were wrong... don't get your panties in a twist.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
420 also closed or not open anymore, reagge is closed (next to freeworld), utopia and abraxas im not sure but i think also closed since 01.07.2014

Edit:
Video from AT5 with the owner from homegrown about the closing
http://www.at5.nl/artikelen/130535/zeventien-jaar-werk-rucksichtslos-onderuit-gehaald-door-gemeente

In the article stand that 8 shops are closed since 01.07 becouse of the private shool...

thanks for sharing that news, even if it's bad news, we need to know the worst. amazing, with all that money they make and pay taxes on you'd think they could have found a way to defend their source of income. they need to sue the gov to be compensated for the huge loss of profits! hehe...

PapstUrban

I agree but it's still a great place no problem to smoke a joint on the street, the people are still very liberal and nice even the police
Just some people in the government are brain damaged

Could be much more worst

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Funky Munky is next 1st Sept 2014.

They are looking for a new license/premises apparently. Shame cos it was a brilliant location and I fear that nearby businesses may suffer.

Sativied

Veteran
Speak Easy was already closed last year as part of the 1012 project. They just recently relocated/reopened on the "Eerste Oosterparkstraat", which is outside the center...

Another interesting note, the city council didn't agree with "closing" the (the 30 or so) coffeeshops but forced the major to "move" them instead. The owner of Speak Easy is sad about having to move, but at the same time happy he could move because he expects that won't be the case for all the shops that need to close.

thecrook

sad all the harassment that going on destroying peoples hard work and effort. Hear same thing happening in Barcelona at the moment shutting down the cannabis clubs people have been setting up everywhere.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
well it's good news that they are allowing relocation at least. that way they can still run their businesses and we don't have even more shops closing down for ever.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
sad all the harassment that going on destroying peoples hard work and effort. Hear same thing happening in Barcelona at the moment shutting down the cannabis clubs people have been setting up everywhere.

i didnt hear much about Barcelona for a while, how bad is it with the clubs getting busted? last i read they were using undercover cops looking like tourists to bust these clubs that will sell to a tourist. got any more details about this, which clubs got closed? how many

thecrook

probably are using tourists seems like the sort of sneaky approach they would use, heard lot of the growers are making shatter and shipping to the dam instead now after being closed so isn't really helping the overall situation to be honest..

Not sure on specific details of clubs unfortunately but have a friend out there and hes pretty worried about the current situation and considering relocating .

good luck too anyone trying to go about running stuff like this braver than me hiding my hobby!

Sativied

Veteran
so the in total 31 coffeeshops that need to close are to be closed between July 1 2014 and Jan 1 2016. If I run into a list with a schedule showing which shop closes when, I will post it here.

Turns out it's 41. Doesn't include a schedule but a list of coffeeshops can be found here:

http://thestonedsociety.com/2014/11/12/amsterdam-coffeeshops-closure/

The oldest coffeeshop in Amsterdam, Mellow Yellow (started by the folks from Positronics), is also on the list.

Latest posts

Latest posts