What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BEER

7thson

I used to keep a beer bottle cap from every new beer I tried. I had quite the collection.

I think the worst beer I ever came across was Cave Creek Chili Beer. Words can't describe the awful taste.

Crazy Eds,use to like going through the brewery.That beer they made was way over priced and not that great.I didn't try the chili one but had one of the other kind,can't remember the name and didn't like it.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
This stuff is pricey, its very good.

Attachments

• 20160726_170630.jpg
    20160726_170630.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 44

Green Squall

Crazy Eds,use to like going through the brewery.That beer they made was way over priced and not that great.I didn't try the chili one but had one of the other kind,can't remember the name and didn't like it.

Good. Avoid that beer like the plague. It has an actual chili pepper in every bottle.

shithawk420

Veteran
thats exactly the beer i was talking about i think lester.i was in chi town and it was 10$ a glass.they poured it like wine.i think maybe they changed the name though.best beer i ever had.we chi town bros can brew too

7thson

Good. Avoid that beer like the plague. It has an actual chili pepper in every bottle.

I know,that's where it was made.Crazy Eds was in Cave Creek,it's called smokehouse now,the restaurant that is.The brewery was next to it.

They use to make this beer that you could scratch off the label and it would have a nude picture of some hottie on it,not Crazy Eds,I don't think.That was back in the late 80's, early 90's.

shithawk420

Veteran
i like the scratch off part but chili peppers in beer?Why?im starting to get upset with all this crazy micro brew recipe stuff.i know they need to be different to compete but come on.this is getting silly.there is a reason some big brewers have benn doing this for over 500 years.good high quality ingredients brewed simple.stop putting chocolate,or cinnamon or whatever the fuck they are putting in it.just make good beer and they will come

7thson

i like the scratch off part but chili peppers in beer?Why?im starting to get upset with all this crazy micro brew recipe stuff.i know they need to be different to compete but come on.this is getting silly.there is a reason some big brewers have benn doing this for over 500 years.good high quality ingredients brewed simple.stop putting chocolate,or cinnamon or whatever the fuck they are putting in it.just make good beer and they will come

I agree.There's a reason I didn't try the chili one.Adding all that stuff is to cover up the fact that it's not good beer to begin with and the region.I tried that chocolate crap a long time ago and it was so bad, I couldn't drink it.I didn't even realize it had chocolate in it till after I bought it.The market is always changing.

I don't even drink anymore,but I do miss it from time to time.

Green Squall

They don't call him Crazy Ed for nothin! I think that stuff goes back to the early 90's.

I like it simple too. Hell I'm drinking a Coors Banquet right now. I hardly even drink micro brews anymore either except for my local brewery on occasion.

shithawk420

Veteran
coors banquet? never heard of it.never been a fan of coors,but ive had far worse.im not gonna lie.I drink everyday so taste isnt a huge factor for me.but if it taste like shit im gonna have a hard time drinking it.i had a keystone Ice the other day.hands down one of the worst beers i ever had.i drink for ABV content and its all the gas station had.but boy this almost made me quite drinking.ALMOST! lol

Green Squall

Coors banquet is just regular Coors. Easy to drink and smooth at 5% ABV. I don't drink light beers either. Baffles me why it is so popular. It has less alcohol and your not really saving that many calories.

shithawk420

Veteran
exactly.to be honest i never drank regular coors because well,its just not here.its only coors light.i drink shitty beer because i would be bankrupt if i drank 25$twelve packs everyday.but yeah i agree with everything you said squall.i had to prove to my dad that light beer has less ABV.its not worth it to me.although i will say Amstel light tasted pretty good.didnt give me a buzz though

Green Squall

Amstel light is 3.5% ABV and Heineken light is 3.3%. Most lights are about 4.2%.

lol It's so bad that I know all of this.

shithawk420

Veteran
yeah!lol i know this too! thats drinking buddy! but i drink ice brewed beer cause its between 5.5 and 6.0 ABV.its just the best bang for the buck.my go to when i can find it is natural ice cauase i think it tastes the best out of all the ice beers.its made by budwiesier ya know.but yeah i wish i could afford good beer everyday but thats more of a luxury right now.drinking natty ice now lol

Cvh

Supermod
Hi all, I'm a Belgium I have off course easy access to all our country beers. The Westvleteren beers are bit more difficult to get for me.
In a few weeks I'm going to do a taste comparison with my father in law between Westvleteren 12 and Sint-Bernardus abt 12.
I have both beers but they are a bit to newly brewed now. A few weeks extra would do.
As the real conneisseurs know both are brewed by the same recipe. But still a bit different because of different yeast and different brewing practices/equipement between those 2 breweries

You can find the story between those 2 beers with a comparison test. http://bonbeer.com/beer-rating/amazing/westvleteren-12-vs-st-bernardus-abt-12/

In a few weeks I'm going to know first hand. :)

Text from the above site:

Located in Watou, in Western Flanders in the heartland of hops, is brewery St Bernardus. The land on which this brewery was built was originally owned by Trappist monks from the Mont de Cats Abbey in France, who had left France for safer ground in Belgium during an anti-clerical movement. Here, on a farm they called “Refuge de Notre Dame de St. Bernard”, they produced cheese in order to sustain themselves. When things improved in France and the French monks left Belgium to go back home, the cheese production was continued by Mr. Evariste Deconinck, who gave the cheese the name St. Bernardus.

Shortly after the Second World War, the nearby Trappist Monastery of St. Sixtus decided they did not want to brew commercially anymore, so they engaged in an agreement with Mr. Deconinck to brew their beers. Initially, before the brewery building was completed, Mr. Deconinck made the cheese in the morning and used the same equipment to make beer in the afternoon!

The agreement between Deconinck and St. Sixtus was that the monks from St. Sixtus would brew beer inside the walls of their Trappist Monastery for their own consumption, for sales to the public at the gates of the Monastery and also for a few taverns whom were connected to the Monastery, while Mr. Deconinck of St. Bernardus would brew the St. Sixtus beer for commercial production. This agreement was set for a period of 30 years. The beers were brewed at St. Bernardus with the help and original recipes of the master brewer of Westvleteren.

As they say, all good things must come to an end, and although the agreement was renewed over the years, it ended in 1992, when St. Sixtus decided not to renew. This was because by that time, the Trappist Monasteries decided that the qualification ‘Trappistenbier’ could only be given to beers brewed inside the walls of a Trappist Monastery. At this point, the beers brewed at St. Bernardus began production under the name St Bernardus instead of the brand name St. Sixtus. They also at that time added St Bernardus Tripel, to the existing Pater 6, Prior 8 & Abt 12, (which, incidentally, were all created by the brewmaster from Westvleteren based on the Westvleteren recipes).

As for the results of our tasting….well, although they’re both similar in appearance and taste to a degree, they were not the same. There were different carbonation levels, different tastes as they warmed slightly, etc…

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
nice collection ,,my father frequents belguim a lot and says every bottle on the menu has its own glass ,it would be awesome if u could get the glasses to match your collection :)

Thats true. Every beer here in Belgium has it's own glass. The majority (non-lager beers) are still handmade by craftsman. We Belgiums refuse to drink a beer if it it isn't served in it's correct glass. The taste will be all wrong if a beer is served in an different glass.
I have quite a collection of glasses. Even harder to find glasses like West-Vleteren and Kwak.

Let me share you a secret about our Belgium glasses. (You can check this for yourself if you have an authentic Duvel glass for exemple. )
Did you already know that we scratch the bottom of the inside of the glasses in particular patterns to control how the bubbles rise and have an effect on the taste and foam by it? You can have an extra control on the release of aromas this way besides the glass shape.
Thats why you get that typical very thin small stream of bubbles shooting out of the middle of the bottom of a Duvel glass straight up. Exactly over the scratched markings...
Off course the glass shape has the most effect on the taste but the control of the bubbleflow by scratching patterns in the bottom is an ancient Belgium secret.

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
Chech this video about Duvel glass and bubbles flow.

Description:

"THE VOLCANO". The tiny etching in the bottom of the glass causes this constant stream of tiny bubbles which helps the beer retain a thin head. This in turn enhances the aroma while sipping.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rWvPrmzuHjI

Cvh

Supermod
And a video with a comparison between a scratched and a non-scratched glass.

Description:

This video shows the laser etching of a beer glass to aid nucleation and subsequently create a beer head

The inside of the glass is etched with a CO2 laser with a logo and dotted pattern which also allows the manufacturer to brand the item

We can see the difference in effect between a regular beer glass and a nucleated beer glass

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDgd63aEQiQ

A second video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AMITO-uZnoc

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
This is a picture of a Kwak glass. I hope that this picture and the above videos explain why the correct glass (and scratching) is very important and have very big impact on the overall taste, release of aroma and foam (+bubble control).

Please don't forget about the correct temparature, it's written on the label. Even a few degrees will matter.

Pauwel_Kwak_beer_bosteels_900.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts