What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TMV from seeds?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I'll get pics tonight

I've been having some problems that I can't seem to fix the past few weeks. Normally when I see a problem, just remixing/pH adjusting nutrients (this is in hydro) fixes it right away.

Growth on plants began very well, then they were placed in hydro setup (ebb/flow). All was well for a week or two, then I popped 2 sensi star (fem seeds from seedboutique) and one grew completely deformed from the start. I'm an idiot for keeping it around.. but the first set of leaves and maybe even the cotyledons were yellow/green like the classic TMV symptom. Growth was very slow, and new shoots came out yellow, almost white.

Then the other sensi seed began showing the same symptoms after 2 weeks. Fast forward another 1-2 weeks and now ALL my plants are growing very slowly (1 new internode every 2 weeks in hydro!?) and some are showing wrinkly leaves while others are showing the same yellow/green mosaic on leaves. The more mature plants are showing the turn/twist at the end of leaves almost like insect damage.

Plants share the same res and it's a recirculating setup, so if it's anything infectious I'm fucked! could just be nute/pH issues but I tried new nutes, different strengths, re-calibrated the meters, etc. Only thing I haven't tried is a new pH probe.

One thing to note is that a lot of things have been changing in my setup recently. Plants moved from fluorescents to HIDs to veg, nute strength increased, switched from maxibloom to maxigro for veg (because of the symptoms), temps got a little colder. Lots of variables.

How likely is TMV from seeds? What else causes TMV symptoms?

hydr1

Have you read the new offgassing products...or are you using a tent....without pics its hard to tell. I have never seen a mosaic virus overtake a whole plant. Try removing affected plants from the flower environment and see if they clear up after a few days. Sometimes fem genetics get scrambled too and bb was selectted from mutant potential plants.

Id fill out the form so we have all the info...get pics and take it from there....I have overcome any freakin problem..offgassing..root aphids,fungus gnats, mites,thrips,catapillers, ph, virus' ....so with pics I might be able to help bud.

OsWiZzLe

If u have TMV forming from seed...your more likely to have bugs spreading the disease around.....Thrips and white flies can transfer it around with ease....

If your plants were totally fine from the get-go and only started showing these symptoms recently on new growth, then it could be as OsWiZzLe said--bugs spreading disease around. I had one batch of plants with the same symptoms you described and whiteflys were the culprit. Plants returned to normal after killing them.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
A lot of them are still seedlings, or very young plants.

Yes I'm using a tent. It's a Darkroom, a quality product, so I don't know if it's the tent.

I'm using tubing from home depot. Not NGW, but the piping isn't for use in ice makers (fridge.)

I had fungus gnats for years in coco before going to ebb/flow and I still have them a little, but never seen anything else. No whiteflies but i'll take a closer look.

EVERY single TMV symptom is showing on some of these plants, and everything is affected.. hydro, coco, even my 1 year old lemon tree. Just when I perfected the temperature and got new seeds too. This is very disheartening.

A grow I harvested a few weeks back had the premature dry buds/yellow dying leaves that show up in flowering plants infected with TMV. I didn't water the plant for 2 weeks and blamed the dry up on that, but thinking about it now perhaps this issue isn't as new as I thought.

pics to come tonight