What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What causes nute burn symptoms if not feeding?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I have a few small plants that I've admittedly neglected for awhile.

They are ~8" in coco, all clones from the same mom. I had them under 2x 23w CFLs in a box, and have not fed them much, if at all.

They are exhibiting nute burn symptoms, with leaf tips curling and drying to a crisp. I now have them under 400w and will begin a normal feeding regimen, but what causes nute burn symptoms when you aren't feeding?

boroboro

I've seen what I thought was nute burn in coco, confused me because I had been feeding quite lightly. I'm pretty sure what actually happened was that I let the coco dry out too much on young small plants. More water was evaporating than being absorbed by the plants, and nutrients were being concentrated in the coco itself. A thorough flushing and more diligent feeding and everything was fine.

Hash Man

if you havent fed them at all, then you need to. sometimes underfeeding and overfeeding can look like the same thing. When i first started growing in coco, the same thing happened to me. It was fixed quickly with a few applications of 600 ppm grow ferts at 6.0 ph.... You may want to think about a foliar spray too to give them a jumpstart back to good health. I use liquid light ad penetrator, but there are many other, cheaper solutions as well... Good luck, and remember to keep your coco a bit more moist than you would soil...Hash Man

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
calcium def or calcium lockout out due to low ph. try foliar feed with cal mag+. ya also will get some iron which can help if the yellowing is iron def.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
thanks for the replies. I haven't been watering as often (went from once a day to once a week) due to a lingering fungus gnat issue. These little fuckers LOVE coco.

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd do a flush. Take a reading of runoff. That will give you a headsup of what's going on. More than likely, a good flush then feed will work.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My vote is you first underwatered, which killed roots, then overwatered, which DOES look like nutrient burn. Most things diagnosed as nutrient problems either actually are watering problems, or originate from watering problems. Watering is higher up the flow chart of cause and effect than nutrients are, which is why it's more likely to cause any problem.