What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seedling doesn't look healthy

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
seed was germinated in paper towels and placed into a rockwool cube (only soaked for 1 hour w/ water at pH 6).

Seed shell came off yesterday and today the leaves look like they are opening up,

but compared to other seeds I've sown, the first leaves that come when the seed germinates look unhealthy.

They are brownish/green and spindly, not round/oval shaped, but long and pointy. I see the "true" leaves emerging but I'm worried but the seedling will die before that happens.

Humidity dome is off and humdiity is generally low. Temp is about 82F, and it's about 4' from a 400W HPS. Yesterday and before that I had it under a 125W CFL.

UPDATE: The cotyldons look like they're rotting away, sort of. I split open the rockwool cube to check the roots. Right now the plant has one long root going straight down with thick lateral root tips on it - good, but the weird thing is the root is slightly pinkish/reddish in color instead of white. What gives?

I switched the 400W HPS w/ a 400W MH

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I got hold of some peat pellets. I've had success with these in the past and the pH is good off the bat. Should I transplant this seedling from RW to peat?

please help, I'm almost certain this problem is urgent ..!!

Ioni Botani

I fucking hate germ. in RW. I had a 0% success rate under a hum. dome....they'd pop...then fuckin die, some of the leaves looked weak as well....like they didnt fully form inside the seed. So I just started putting my cubes in a DWC bubbler with VERY VERRRYY light nutes. VERY LIGHT. 100% Success rate. FIN.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
This is NOT my pic but my seedling looked about the same. Eventually it began to droop and now it has fallen over. I put a dome over it because it looks like it's underwatered, but I know it's not. Maybe the root is dying?

14j6u80.jpg

It's weird because I've grown many plants (including cannabis) before with no real hurdles at germination.

The only difference this time is the rockwool, although it could also just be this particular strain. It's Super Lemon Haze.

From the grow journals I'm reviewing it seems like a lot of others also had the problem I'm having, usually due to pH or overwatering.

http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced...-bucket-first-grow-ever-super-lemon-haze.html

another SLH journal:
http://www.rollitup.org/grow-journals/170307-1-x-super-lemon-haze.html

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
i use jiffy pucks and the humid dome that comes with them. works great.
(don't forget to pull off the mesh at transplant!)

Doco

One problem that I have had with seedlings is my tendency to Love Them to Death - they really dont need anywhere near this much attention in their early stages but I always tried to examine roots and rearrange and overwater and cut open cubes to see how the roots are doing and on and on.....they stress out and die.

For myself, I have found overwatering to be the single biggest factor in infant seedling death syndrome. Once I backed off the water, things improve for me.

I have definitely killed seedlings with too much light also so now I use T5s.

Since you say you have grown before and may already know this stuff, perhaps its just poor seeds.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, did you prep your rockwool? Rockwool has a naturally high Ph and needs to be soaked in Ph 5.0 water for a day or two to stabilize them.

The rockwool in the picture is saturated, every plant is going to seriously droop and be stunted for atleast a day if you put more than 20 grams worth of water in a 1 1/2 inch cube. Preping the rockwool as doco posted is also probably the next most common mistake with RW.

Latest posts

Latest posts