What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Yep, tomatoes favor conditions much like cannabis. as for sucker pinching? Got me?

I'll try and get some pics of my garden this weekend. nothing much to look at right now, and I've still got a few plants to get in the ground.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Hazy-
Looks like good dirt and will be a nice garden. What state are you located? As far as tomatoes I'll tell you what little I know. Yes, pretty sure they like acidic soil. Pinching sucker and side shoots will encourage upward growth. Tall plants well over eight foot are attainable with this method. If your entering a contest and going for height, this is the way to go, but daily culling of shoots are necessary.

You can throw your yard clippings right into the garden as mulch. They are high in nitrogen.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
K,.... couple shitty cellphone pics

First something I randomly spotted that cracked me up and I still want one!!!

picture.php

Now my current main bed, Tomatoes closest, then peppers and eggplant closest to the right, then another row of peppers, then Cantaloupe and watermelon before the bed of lettuce in the far background.
picture.php

:eek::
Like I said,... not much to look at right now.

Here's my 3 sisters grow in a 30g smart pot,....
picture.php

Hoping it's a 4 sisters,... I've got NO CLUE what the volunteer is there. Going to be setting up blumat watering on this pot later this week, got the gear today.

Hazy Eye

Hazy-
Looks like good dirt and will be a nice garden. What state are you located? As far as tomatoes I'll tell you what little I know. Yes, pretty sure they like acidic soil. Pinching sucker and side shoots will encourage upward growth. Tall plants well over eight foot are attainable with this method. If your entering a contest and going for height, this is the way to go, but daily culling of shoots are necessary.

You can throw your yard clippings right into the garden as mulch. They are high in nitrogen.

Bio- I'm right outside the Mile High City. I hope that the load of manure and hay does the plot some justice. It went through a couple good snows 6"+ and many frosts. Thanks for the tip on the tomatoes, they got trimmed up as did my peppers. Messin' around and built a trellis for garden beans for Mrs. Hazy. She likes plants on a trellis so, why not. She loves it. Plant a group at each point. Starts are going good for that. Got some corn planted after soaking it for 2 days and will get the corn starts in soon as well. You can see on the left I stapled up some green fencing that I'm gonna run cukes up. And I got the rolls for 3 more sections....probably throw a climbing flower up one or something viney....
Anywhooo....
Your setting the standard around this joint.
Keep Killin' It!

theJointedOne

Veteran
nice homemade trellis system

just got my veggies in and am kicking myself for being late to the show,

broccoli, corn, peppers, kale, and a bunch of other stuff

stoked

enjoy

Biosynthesis

Veteran
THANK YOU ALL WHO POSTED. THE PLANTS ARE LOVING ALL THE POSITIVE ENERGY AND I LOVE TO COME HOME TO THE GREAT PICTURES YOU ALL POST. KEEP IT GREEN LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::

Biosynthesis

Veteran
If you thinking of getting chickens and want to get Rhode Island Reds. Consider the New Hampshire. It is an improve Rhode Island Red. They are bigger, go broody more readily, and have VERY large brown eggs. They cost more to feed but that equates to more chicken shit for the garden.:)

Hazy Eye

Sitting here burnin' a fatty while I'm showing my buddy your garden.
He is as blown away as I continue to be.
Simply Beautiful Garden.
So I says to him; "I wish I could grow some spuds."
So he says; "What if you grew 'em in a 55 gal tub, and then at the end of the year, you just dumped the tub?"
Our conversation continued and I told him...
"Let's ask Bio."

So Here I am. :dance013:
Would that work?
How much does one or 2 plants produce?
Is it too late to plant some?

Keep On Keepin' On!

OrganicBuds

Veteran
I say plant them. Two plants grown correctly could yield 20 potatoes no problem. Starting a little late in the season I would guess 10 good sized potatoes, and in a tub is a great idea. I personally kind of like digging through my mounds looking for taters, fun stuff. Kind of scratches two itches, I love veggies and I love dirt.

Last edited:

Biosynthesis

Veteran
taters in tubs

taters in tubs

Absolutely not to late to plant them HazyI. You see how fast they grow. theres already quarter sized potatoes down there under my mounds I'm sure. Perhaps its possible to turn 2 crops in the same spot twice in the same season? Anyone?

As far as tubs goes sure, why not. Plant away. Put a row in your garden as well if you have room. They are easy as hell. Dont go quoting me but I think they're rootzones like cooler temps. so in the ground may be the better choice. But sure you could turn out taters in tubs.:tiphat:

Hazy Eye

Thanks Fellas!

Thanks Fellas!

That's awesome and I plan on doing just that.
Any tips or advice to get me going?
There's a couple good holes that I can fill in the garden.
I'll let my buddy know that he can go either way too. Since he saw this thread and has been helping me, he decided to get his garden fired back up too.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
The only advice I can give is grow from down low. Meaning, your plant gets its vigor from what you put in the soil. Healthy soil = healthy plants.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Hazy-
Yes, good soil is where it starts. Here is an address I found information for growing potatoes.
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/vegetable/potato/

Did you turn your garden with a shovel or a tiller? If by shovel, your a badass.

Like your trellis sytems. Laying things along the fence for things to grow up is great. Going vertical is fun and Mrs. Hazy seems to dig it. Pole beans make great hedges and they improve the soil. I grow a lot of them for this reason weather they get ate or not. Ive got them going in along fencelines as well as growing up tipi poles I scavenged out of the woods. Your wooden fence on the left would be great for a wall of green. Just hang strings or something they can climb up to make a wall of green. Beans dont have an extensive root system, so just a simple ditch along that fence a half a shovel deep will be fine. If you mix some of the soil we use to grow our hippy in that ditch with the native soil they should grow great. If you have any animal farming in your area, there is sure to be some free mulch. Know someone with horses? Volunteer to come clean up the piles that are left over from stall cleaning. Piles that have been sitting for a few years are what you are looking for. Llama shit is great as well as rabbit and wont burn your plants when fresh. Also one of the ways I combat weeds is pack the garden tight with vegies, it out competes them and you will have alot less weeding. Even if I dont get veggies off certain things I am planting most summer long. Also when planting seeds in the ground when temps have reached above 80, you have to be diligent and keep that soil moist. Another thing that is VERY important is how much water you put on our garden. Us Americans are good at overindulgence or neglect. Finding a balance is key. Water to much and all our goodies in the soil get leached out. Water not enough and they wilt. Hope some of this helps and doesnt seem like grade school info. Have a wonderful grow season everyone. Thank you for stopping in for another manic episode of WE GROW VEGETABLE GARDENS TOO!

Latest posts

Latest posts