What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed poppin Qs

Hi all,

I havent grown in some time, but was planning to give it a go again.

I bought loads of seeds years ago, thinking I would pop them all one day, lol. looking at them now, i feel like a right dick. Someone else could have atleast gave them the popping they deserved when they were fresh.Oh well, live and learn I suppose is all i got.

over time, I just left them in a drawer, thinking they were indestructible seeds or something.

A while back, I gathered all the seeds I bought or was gifted, stuck em in a black air tight container, and put them in a fridge approx 6 months ago.

I was planning on trying to pop some, but now im wondering is there anything I should be aware of, as they are coming out the fridge soon.

How best to proceed?
Should I let em get to room temp, before putting them in water, or onto paper towel?
Any hints and tips to help aid germination if the seeds havent been kept in good condiiton?

Havent grown in a few years, so it feels like ive grown my virginity back:tiphat::dance013:.... feeling the itch to pop my cherry this winter

Thanks for reading, and hope everyone has a great day.:tiphat:

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...yeah, i think i'd take a few of the seeds you maybe care less about and just try them out to see if any are still viable, it really kinda depends on how long they were kept in that drawer.

...i've heard that giberalic acid can re-invigorate old seeds but i have no personal experience.

peace, bozo

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
For old seeds I take a nailfile, file once or twice each seed, put them in wet paper towels in a container and check every 24 hours. If they're not out in a week they are never coming out.:tiphat:

...yeah, i think i'd take a few of the seeds you maybe care less about and just try them out to see if any are still viable, it really kinda depends on how long they were kept in that drawer.

...i've heard that giberalic acid can re-invigorate old seeds but i have no personal experience.

peace, bozo

hi m8,

Sounds like a plan. :tiphat:
Im now thinking maybe popping some of the oldest of them, and also some of the more newer ones.
I think the oldest are prolly the NL seeds, which i was told was from the 90's.

I think the giberalic acid idea sounds like it might aid them, many thanks. :tiphat:

Seeds are of varying ages, oldest are from 90's, newest are from 2013, when i last grew. The 90s one were kept properly stored, until i was gifted them back in 2012 when i was thinking about trying to grow, but since then they had no proper storage. I know, silly error on my part.

Many thanks for your help mate.

For old seeds I take a nailfile, file once or twice each seed, put them in wet paper towels in a container and check every 24 hours. If they're not out in a week they are never coming out.:tiphat:

Nice one. That should really help in the splitting of outer shell.
Going to try for sure. :tiphat:

Do I just pop them as normal seeds, or do i let them get to room temp before handling them? ie do i just take the seed out fridge and pop it( pop in a high humidity & 20degC temp, or let the seed acclimatise to room temp first, then attempt germination?

Thanks for input mate.:tiphat:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just pull a few out & see how well it goes with your normal seed germination method.

I wouldn't worry much unless little to nothing at all is popping.