What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When to start indoors for outdoors

whatsupguys

whatsupguys just wondering what would be the ideal date to start your plants indoors in solo cups. Also wondering when to transplant them outside into there final pot. I heard you have to sync up the daylight hours that you apply to the plant via the indoor light and the sun when transplanting. I have a lot to learn. located northeast us. thanks

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
In the Northeast plant nice big 5-7 node plants outdoors June first.

So figure 5-8 weeks veg indoors depending on strain.

I mimick my tomato program for cannabis plants.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Since the Colorado growing season is so short, I normally start mine indoors in March and they get a good veg on by the end of May when I put them out. I normally transplant once into 1 gallon pots when they veg too big for the Solo cups.

St. Phatty

Anywhere from Now - today ( if you want a BIG veg. plant to put out in May/June) to May/June 2018.

I won't sweat it too much until maybe February 2018, but I have a hunch that one of the clones I have now (taken from plants in early flowering, take a long time to revert to veg.) will be going back outside for the summer of 2018.

Technically, the reverting clones won't really be in Veg. until November-December 2017.

I find I have a desire to grow Bigger next year. Seems like it sort of becomes a friendly competition to beat one's 'personal best', obviously with good genetics.

In 2017, I had about 3 cubic feet of soil in rolling garbage cans. It seems to work out to about 80 pounds per cubic foot. So if I want to use the rolling pot approach next year, maybe with 6 cubic feet of soil ... I don't just have to start the plants early, I also have to start the Soil early. And find or make a pot that will hold 480 pounds of soil.

whatsupguys

how many hours of light would i give them leading up to transplanting them outdoors June first ?
Also can i start the seedlings in ocean forest while in the solo cups or would that soil harm them

St. Phatty

how many hours of light would i give them leading up to transplanting them outdoors June first ?
Also can i start the seedlings in ocean forest while in the solo cups or would that soil harm them

I have found that the plants that react negatively to Ocean Forest - because it's too strong for some seedlings - end up being FANTASTIC.

But since I'm going to find out anyway I usually dilute Ocean Forest with a cheap but high quality mixer. Something like "B&G" soil conditioner, which is similar to Happy Frog. Comes in 3 cubic foot packages.

whatsupguys

thanks st phatty but how many hours of light would i give the plants leading up to transplanting them outdoors june 1st.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You have a few options to start growing outdoors:

1. Start growing your indoor marijuana plants as usual – in a 18/6 cycle – but waiting until the late May, early of June to move them outdoors.

2. Start growing your plants indoors while following the outdoor natural photoperiod. For example, if there are 14 hours of light per day, give your plants 14 hours of light per day as well. When the natural photoperiod increases to 14-15 hours of sunlight per day, you will have to set your timer and add 15 minutes of light per day.

This very straightforward technique will allow you to move your plants outdoors in spring!

Agree w/ St. Phatty....OF, FF soils can be too acidic. We use a sand/peat/vermiculite mixture...solo cups, sure! Please don't use Jiffy cubes....they are far too acidic for most seeds.

Try getting seed starter from a nursery...Metro Mix or Pro Mix, Black Gold w/out fertilizer another good choice, adding sand/vermiculite or perlite.

whatsupguys

wow thats a great help thanks arid. Whats the average yield one could expect from an auto flower grown outdoor in a 5 gallon hole. Heard maybe an ounce if you really dial in on a specific strain just wanted to clarify thanks again so much this sites dope

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow thats a great help thanks arid. Whats the average yield one could expect from an auto flower grown outdoor in a 5 gallon hole. Heard maybe an ounce if you really dial in on a specific strain just wanted to clarify thanks again so much this sites dope

Too many variables...genetics, medium, sun exposure, etc.