What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Roots On Top Of Soil?

bertbkill

So I have three plants and I noticed the other day that roots are starting to grow out of one of them well above the soil line. Has anyone seen this before?

20170928_135426.jpg

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I saw this on one of the plants we started outside. I think it has to do with the under soil roots not being able to get "enough" oxygen so the plant is sending out those roots? The soil might be too compacted or saturated with water, something that is causing oxygen deprivation to the roots. I could be completely wrong on this one too.:biggrin: In which case somebody correct me.

M

moose eater

I've seen this a number of times, but most often with clones where healthy amounts of rooting hormone was used, and the roots are cramped in their 1" cubes. In those cases I've seen the stem near the medium sometimes send out new roots from the base of the stem -above- the soil.

I've seen it less in larger plants, but see it on occasion, too.

May simply be genetics. It's not uncommon for other plants, trees, veggies, to grow roots above the soil that then wind back into what ever growing medium, often growing a hardened skin on the exposed roots.

I haven't seen any detriment that I could say was caused by it.

bertbkill

That's is a very good assumption and you could be right as I was thinking the same. I just noticed that that plant is not absorbing its water well in comparison to the other plants. I could have a problem with the roots, I have fungus gnats. I just did a neem oil drench. I will have to continue for a week or so. I hope it clears it up and the roots get healthy again.

I was taught that a stem would create a "ring lock" on stem which basically equates to a form of lock-out.
By example I purposely stretch plant in 1st week, then cover till just under sun leaves - This will then be the level at which plant is planted throughout the remainder of it's lifecycle

M

moose eater

I was taught that a stem would create a "ring lock" on stem which basically equates to a form of lock-out.
By example I purposely stretch plant in 1st week, then cover till just under sun leaves - This will then be the level at which plant is planted throughout the remainder of it's lifecycle

We sometimes do that with leggy tomato plants when we transplant to raised beds outdoors, but never tried it with cannabis.

Thanks. :tiphat: