What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Canna Rhizotonic worth it

Taranthis

Hi,

I have been having trouble getting my clones to take hold, they seem to die (go all limp and lay down) before they can get a decent root system.

I am using the standard rockwool cubes, clone dome with heat mat positioned directly under a CFL vegetative grow light on 24hrs.

I was thinking of adding Rhizotonic to water them with but am wondering if it is worth the expense, does it work? How long would it be before I noticed a root system growing?

Thanks for your help as always.

Mudraya

I would highly suggest reading a cloning how to on this site, there are many...and refresh yourself on all the basic parameters of cloning in rockwool. Rhizo is totally worth it...for rooted plants. I would suggest Clonex gel for dipping them in before putting in the rock wool and make sure you have proper temps and moisture in your dome.

Taranthis

Hi Mudraya,

Thanks for your response. I should have provided more detail but yes I do use Clonex and follow the standard instructions. However after reading further into the process I saw some people saying not to dip directly into the clonex jar as the product starts to activate. This is something that I have been doing and maybe this is my issue.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you using a controller on the heat mat? I put the probe in a slot with a cutting so I know what the temp of the space where the roots will form is and try to maintain 75/78. Never dip into the jar unless you plan to use it all in 1 setting. I pour some in a pill bottle lid and use it that way.

Taranthis

Hi Smoking Joe,

No I am not using a controller, I will try that out next batch of clones I take, I had been double dipping into the container so maybe that and the heat is my problem.

Thanks for your help.

t99

Veteran
How close and how bright is your light? Too close/intense will slow root growth.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Try this--water soaking.

After snipping the cut from it's mama and leafs are trimmed, I re-cut the stem with a razor blade (45 degree angle) about 1/2-3/4" below the node and then place the cutting in plain everyday unfiltered tap water for a few days (yes the water is chlorinated, as you want the chlorine to control bacteria). The xylem will suck up water and distribute it to the leafs (just like cut roses do in a vase with water) resulting in a cutting that will stand tall and usually grows another leaf set.

After a few days (sometimes a week if I get busy) I do the normal process--dip cutting in rooting solution (1 minute in undiluted Hormex here, cheaper than all other alternatives I have tested) then insert in a rooting cube, and cover the tray with a clear plastic dome. In about 10-14 days there are roots galore and it is transplant time. Time between snip to transplant seldom exceeds 3 weeks and 100% success is the norm here.

Say goodbye to wilting.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Oh yeah, I used to use Rhizotonic for both foliar spraying the cuttings and plant feeding, but no more. IMO, if the plant is healthy and the microherd in the grow medium is fertile and strong, the algae based goodies in Rhizo seems to be more redundant and unnecessary.

Mudraya

Hi Mudraya,

Thanks for your response. I should have provided more detail but yes I do use Clonex and follow the standard instructions. However after reading further into the process I saw some people saying not to dip directly into the clonex jar as the product starts to activate. This is something that I have been doing and maybe this is my issue.

Oh I see. I've always used the white plastic little mouthwash cups to put the gel in. Many of the classic ad pictures are super misleading with that where they have the hand holding a clone dipped in the bottle lol, they are definitely trying to make you buy more!

packerfan79

Veteran
Ditch the rockwool, coco moistened with 1/4 strength nutes. Ditch the gel 5 dollar boonide at home depot works great. I cut my babies soak in the weak nutes for 24 hours. Scrape, make the 45 cut below a node. Stick in the powder shake off the excess. Less is more with powders and gells Stick it in a plastic shot glass or medicine cup of coco with a small hole in the bottom Watch them after 2-3 days give small amount of water to keep emailing moist not soggy. I Have had fully rooted babies in 7 days. I cut 150 for this run. I ran out of smart pots and wound up tossing clones. This method requires no dome. Just keep the coco moist but not soggy.

I never used any Gels like that for Cloning, i guess it helps doing it faster.
What i do is gave em an Airdome till they have the first roots & then repot em into the medium i prefer.

i helped friends years ago doing it with that kind of gels and did not see really a positiv effect that makes it worth buying...

Ralp

I have purchased for several friends a 6 spot little baskets. We all use the 1" rock wool cubes cloning machines that come with vita grow nuit sample pkg. ( Amazon $37.00) When the sample pkg ran out the local grow shop had Clonex get and root/seedling starter that has worked. I have used Rizo over the years had great success with stalk too. Don't run it now as the type and way I grow wont complement that much. We have a 100% success rate that I know of we trade clones and haven't heard of problems.

KITCHA

Veteran
Used rhizotonic in coco fir years and recently replaced it with mycos that now give me better results in terms of root mass and much cheaper. I've also dropped cannazym without any noticeable difference. Canna AB and mycos for the win.

Dakine

Veteran
I take the Cuts, Soak in water for 30minutes-1hour, Trim any leaves if needed, scrape the sides of the stem that will be in the rockwool cube, then make the final diagonal cut, and let the cut/clone soak in VERY VERY VERY light molasses mixed water for another 1hour. Sometimes I get busy and they soaked for up to 6hours lol..

This whole time the Rockwool cubes have been soaking in just plain tap water. I rinse the cubes off again before placing them into the container they will stay in. I get A water bottle cap and toothpick and put some clonex gel into the cap to dip the cuts into.. The toothpick is so I can lightly coat the higher part of the stem that will be in the rockwool cube, but couldnt be covered because the bottle cap is to shallow.

Once thats ready, now I start to dip the cuttings into the gel and coat what ever is needed with the toothpick.. I lightly wack the cuttings in the air when I take them out of the water theyve been soaking in.. Too much water and the gel wont make a nice coat. Then I place the cuts into the cubes. If there is A huge gap between stem and rockwool material. I atleast try to use the toothpick to close the hole/gap at the surface of the cube.

All done, now I fill the container the cubes are in to where the water line is up to almost half the cube. Once the water dries out, I wait for atleast 24hours before filling the water back up to the bottom 1/4 of the cube.. Once that dries I wait another 24hours and fill it back up, same amount again. I keep doing that till I decide to check t o see if theres atleast some roots showing on the bottoms.

Heres the tray I clone in lol.. Nothing fancy, I dont use A cover or anything. Ill mist them with water the first couple of days, but then I usually forget to mist them again. They usually have massive roots coming out everywhere before I even have to lift them up to check if theres any..
FYI-Cut on the right has the drooping leaves because I took those from A plant that had SUPER bad nitrogen toxicity but I needed to save it.

I always get roots like this. Ever Since Ive started cloning recently, I've had 100% success rates.. Even when cutting them and placing them into A small bottle with water, and just making sure the water is filled to the top..

Here is the bottle I've tried cloning in, and its worked 4 different times so far. The last 2 times I had 2 cuttings in it.. Nubs showed around 2 weeks, and I think this picture was the 3rd week.

Latest posts

Latest posts