What's new

Need grow bag advice!

DTOM420

I’m shopping for grow bags for next year’s outdoor garden and I’m going to be using big bags: 200 gallon and 300 gallon for my photos. We have a very long outdoor season that starts April 1 and sometimes earlier and can easily go through Thanksgiving. First frosts are usually not until late December. However. We have very hot and dry summers that will produce 100° temps for up to 60 days in a row. I did ok this year in some smaller bags with autos but they required daily watering. So, for the photos, that’ll get big, I want to give them all the room possible to maximize on their potential.

Well, I was going to get some Grassroots bags when I noticed that they now have bags supposedly designed for living soil; that slow down the drying out and make it a little more like nature. Check them out here: https://www.grassrootsfabricpots.com/moisturelock-and-living-soil/ My concern is that the waterproof material strip that gives this effect, sorts defeats the purpose of the bag in the first place - the air pruning. On the other hand, I’m using such large bags, is root pruning even an issue for me? I’m not going to root-bind in a 100, 200 or 300 gallon container anyway, am I?

What are YOUR thoughts? Would you mess with these for an additional $4-$6 (per bag) cost? Is this a smart idea or a bad idea; especially for someone in a hot and usually dry area?