What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who's all been breeding their own autos?

theJointedOne

Veteran
picture.php

best one out of 1000+

just made 45 lights worth of few autos..learned a lot..i am a fan of autos now if they are worked properly. This lady was so greasy and stinky and fkin dense as anything

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent, Jointed One!!!!
Yeah, we have 2 plots so it's up to 35 of each strain we do one our own, so roughly 60-70 of each strain, be it autos or photoperiod. Picking the best of the best....works most of the time, but still have those uh-oh moments.

Finally, autos are getting respect after all these years.

angelgoob

I do need more plant numbers.

My biggest auto came from coco and worm castings. Of this cultivar.

You guys are selecting out of 1000 plants. most I will be able to do is 10. I mean 20 plants but possibly 10 females.

The thing that stuck out last generation is the male and female both smelled like a berry-fruit in veg. The bud was great. Better than what you would buy.

Here is the bud, it's lightly seeded.

picture.php

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, a pollen chucker you are, a-goob. Continue on....but being a breeder, you need to understand phenos, best overall traits and choosing from best plants, not just ONE.

We give away plants that we're not using for breeding to MMJ patients, vets and the like.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've heard the most important tool of a breeder is extremely accurate notes. I'm so bad at reliably taking notes, arrrgh. I know what I want though...

Strain #1
Average Height 2-3'
Semi-Branchy, not a single-cola or thick bush
Fruity/Lemon/Citrus
Cold/Mold Resistant

My question is this:

There's a lot of talk about creating 'stabilized' hemp seed at .03% THC or less. As far as breeding goes, how precise of a THC:CBD ratio/strength can I hope to readily achieve? While I can see the use for seedlines which throw a wide variety, am I shooting myself in the foot by chasing a specific ratio and strength?

angelgoob

I think that there's different sets of genes for THC and CBD. So you need a plant with those CBD synthases.

At low doses CBD will potentiate the high. At high doses I think it will calm. Not sure though, never really smoked a good ratio. Only high THC weed and hemp. But the high CBD hemp sure did relax. I started to notice stronger strains have a little CBD in them.

You'd have to smoke test and combine. You could also use one male to two females and thereby test
by proxy. You could also clone a female, split it up, and then pollinate her with two different males. This will in retrospect give you the conclusion of the two males also.

chemotype I is THC. II is a mix. and III is CBD. Mostly.

The molecular basis for THCA (marijuana) and CBDA (hemp) chemotypes is unclear. De Meijer et al [43] crossed CBDA- and THCA-dominant plants to produce F1 progeny that are intermediate in their ratio of THCA:CBDA; selfing gave F2 progeny that segregated 1:2:1 for THCA-dominant:codominant mixed THCA/CBDA:CBDA-dominant chemotypes. These data suggested two explanations: a single cannabinoid synthase locus (B) exists with different alleles of this gene encoding THCAS or CBDAS; or THCAS and CBDAS are encoded by two tightly linked yet genetically separate loci. In the latter scenario, differences in transcript abundance and/or enzyme efficiencies might account for the observed chemotypic ratios. Indeed, given that both of these enzymes compete for CBGA, reductions in one activity might lead to a proportional increase in the production of the other cannabinoid.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a-goob....if you have room for 20,. do it! You'll learn how each plant grows. Take the best to pollinate. You'll be surprised. To keep them under days-to-harvest number (you wanted 60 or less?) bx with fast male.

angelgoob

I had to kill some of my plants. Just didn't look right.

I got one going that I don't believe in. I'll make seeds but that's about it.

Going to start MANY more. and get my soil mix together.

The two that came together to make the strong one that shined were the stronger smellers. All I want is those.

angelgoob

pumpkin. I should get the "high-smellers" this time. I originally bought these seeds to create a fast auto with big seeds. I just selected on smell for the last two generations. The last I grew the bud was very potent. Knocks what you can buy out of the water.

But I just thought about this. I am creating two seed lines, so you're right they have to be stable or else I'll need more plant next gen if I want to save time.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
F1's are uniform. the more you grow out future generations, the more differentiation.

You'll get several phenos- the 'smellers', the 'quick' finish and others. Document, experiment.

angelgoob

thank you, but I don't know the past breeding of it before me. I know it's been selfed and cubed.

I do not think it will take too many plants to get the one I need. I started 18 seeds. Biggest seeds of course and that's very important because the root being established with autos is key to them. They like low nutrients but a lot of area. Higher R:S ratio. A bigger seed doesn't mean bigger yield, but that's in perfect conditions, in reality you would want the better established plant. There are trade offs though, the increased size means it doesn't think the area is too fertile and must tap down further. The forest is churning. Sativa's that are vigorous in numbers to find a spot and compete. They had to have numbers to find the areas. More bracts also means more surface area to help the plant live through helping in not get bud rot. Smaller equal more surface area, big seed, too dense. These are the reasons for the big seed. You can see a small seed would need vigor to compete, but big seeds need only time until it gets the resources with it's vast network of roots rather than relying on numbers to find a spot with light, and a zone for roots. That's my thoughts on that. Always think back to the velcro seeds or helicopter seeds to see how the plant thinks. Sticking to animals and flying everywhere. Oh they know how to work us!

UPDATE: They all sunk within I don't know how long. But at about 12 today I put them in soil. Some were popped open. This is 18hrs later.

I'm sure some popped open at 15hrs or so. I'm using the bottled water with an aeration pump to keep all the seeds moving to sink. This is oxygenated. It's a seek soak, it's just oxygenated the whole time.

Last edited:

dendrophilly

My [bb headband x gigabud] f2s got successfully germinated in their own final pots. I have 3 males and 3 females all looking perfect, flipping now. I abandon the bloody skunk cross and picked up the bb headband x gigabud f2s instead. No multi pots this time, I've got other crosses suffering through he multi pot scenario now.

FrostAie

i messed around with breeding autos around 2012 but only found a few suited for outdoors a cream dragon auto along with their other "dragon" autos did pretty good because of the bud formation. Open sunny spots worked best.

dendrophilly

i messed around with breeding autos around 2012 but only found a few suited for outdoors a cream dragon auto along with their other "dragon" autos did pretty good because of the bud formation. Open sunny spots worked best.
I think those dragon crosses stemmed from the blue berry headband I'm working with. I'm thinking of the auto flower portal stone dragon.

Muarco

Veteran
I've just recently started looking into breeding. I'm a big fan of autos and I'm attracted by the idea of producing some seeds for the outdoor season. I came across a male of autoflowering Blue Cheese from Barney's Farm.
picture.php

I was surprised by the strong smell and insane vigour of this plant. I just discovered she was a male but I would like to do something with her since would feel bad to waste such a good phenotype. I can equip another room to give her a 50W LED to grow under but now I've got a few questions running in my head:
1) How big is the risk of pollinating my 2 flowering grow tents that are just a door away from the male room?
2) Will a 50W LED be enough to get her to produce some poller or will I need to mount a 150W HPS?
3) Am I safe pollinating just a couple of lower buds inside my flowering tent without running the risk of pollinating the whole tent? (was planning on using water to fix the pollen on the calyxes.

Last edited:

bibi40

Beautyfull male for sure ,

i think for point 2 no problem with the 50w , for point 3 no problem too ,
wait for other advice , for point 1 i can' t advice , i don't know :tiphat:

Muarco

Veteran
Muarco..
A decent male for sure..How many times was it topped? It's nice a bushy..

Toad

Never been topped. I just LST on the 2nd week and left it to grow. I just collected some pollen and started pollinating my LSD-25. I love the colors of the LSD-25 but smell wise there is so much to improve. I'm aiming for that stinky cheesy smell that this BC has