What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Science Project Finds Plants Won't Grow Near Wi-Fi Router.

B.E.D

Five ninth-grade young women from Denmark recently created a science experiment that is causing a stir in the scientific community.

It started with an observation and a question. The girls noticed that if they slept with their mobile phones near their heads at night, they often had difficulty concentrating at school the next day. They wanted to test the effect of a cellphone's radiation on humans, but their school, Hjallerup School in Denmark, did not have the equipment to handle such an experiment. So the girls designed an experiment that would test the effect of cellphone radiation on a plant instead.

The students placed six trays filled with Lepidium sativum, a type of garden cress into a room without radiation, and six trays of the seeds into another room next to two routers that according to the girls calculations, emitted about the same type of radiation as an ordinary cellphone.

Over the next 12 days, the girls observed, measured, weighed and photographed their results. Although by the end of the experiment the results were blatantly obvious — the cress seeds placed near the router had not grown. Many of them were completely dead. While the cress seeds planted in the other room, away from the routers, thrived.

The experiment earned the girls (pictured below) top honors in a regional science competition and the interest of scientists around the world.

According to Kim Horsevad, a teacher at Hjallerup Skole in Denmark were
the cress experiment took place, a neuroscience professor at the
Karolinska Institute in Sweden, is interested in repeating the
experiment in controlled professional scientific environments.

picture.php

picture.php

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cd3_1369428648

Max Headroom

Veteran
good one!

i know most of you don't wanna hear it, but cell phones and WiFi will be regarded like asbestos or cigarettes in the future.

be smart - reduce your exposure as much as possible.

Cannavore

Veteran
My router (and Xbox for that matter) sit on my desk where I also have a small veg box for seeds, cuttings, and plants....... Haven't had a problem yet.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

that's disturbing news.

I rarely have my cell phone on & I use it for a total of appx. 20 minutes per month, my cpu has no wifi to worry about although my next unit will. I'll disable the wifi on the next one which I would have done anyway, although I have decent separation from my neighbors I'd never allow anyone to pirate from my pc.

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
Im sorry but the scientific ability of middle school students is really nothing Id trust. I mean, testing "a cell phones effect on humans" by growing watercress is kinda obtuse.

Im sure there was a great reason those seeds didn't germinate or grow. It could very well have been the radiation from the WIFI router, but we'll have to wait for a better controlled experiment. What if the temperatures in the rooms were different, or air flow, etc etc.

That being said, my GF just ordered me a new cell phone, after not having one for around a year. Im not that excited to be plugged in all day again. I think I will really use it like a phone, and not like a crack pipe. Im paranoid as all hell about cell phones, and all that stuff.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not earth shattering results there. Need many more tests to prove anything.

I am paranoid about all the radiation going around btw but that test is not definitive. I wish some real scientists would do something similar.

Passion99

but then again... who are real scientists, who to trust that their results are true? the ones who get payed or even threatened to show their ''results'' to advertise in false faith? well kids seem like a good option but they arent professional.. in studies like this one, they should use hundreds of different routers and wifi devices and offcourse hundreds of plant species, under exact same conditions, humidy, temperature, air pressure,... in that case... find radio or one bigger wifi transmitter somewhere near you and check if all plants around are dead... they arent, eh?

there are always two sides, and on each side there are fanatics who wants to drag you to their side, it is up to you who will you trust, but usually they both speak lies...enough bullcrap :D i want to tell u that dont trust this researches, they are in 95% LIES without any proofs, just to make you think good or bad about one thing that this research is all about...

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have germinated seeds of many species for years by the heat of a wireless router , sat directly on it and surounded by other power supplies , with no issues whatsoever.

Same for a digital ballast , supplies bottom heat for exotics with no difference compared to results in a heated propagator.

Use a microwave to steam sterilize small volumes of damp compost for seedlings , not lost one yet.

G

gloryoskie

It will turn out to be the transformer that supplies the step down,
nothing to do with the wi fi.

noobs.

Marcellas

Veteran
Funny, I actually germinate my seeds on-top of my Wi-Fi Router!!
... The router gives off the perfect amount of slight heat (my TV is too hot), to help germinate my beans.. I have higher germ-rates and the tails pop out and grow quicker on top of my router, compared to them sitting on a desk with no heat

SacredBreh

I germ on top of my computer and the computer is right next to my router. Perfect temps. Never had a problem. My router is WiFi but just use it plugged into my computer and to keep my phone minutes down. This is a bunch of shit. Just sayin'....

Peace

H

huarmiquilla

howdy

how you do?
respect

am not keen to relate opinion
rather
with respect to various router such and such wifi

indeed am keen to think much variance within such frequency
such to think
much variance within experience

at where to survive derive
at where to thrive origin
hehehehe
much variance within such

lovely you to experiment B.E.D.
similar
lovely with respect to each to share such experience

am keen to think such truth within total to experience
not to think within such segement to analysis
indeed am not keen to much bias
rather within individual form to being human total bias

hehehe

respect

positive vibrations

dddaver

Veteran
5 ninth grade girls in Denmark? Wait. Is this a joke? Sounds like the beginnings of a particularly nasty one. I'm also sure they did something to produce the results they were looking for. Were they trying to attract the attention of some ninth grade boys or something? Isn't that what ninth grade girls do?

I just want to add that I have this cheap remote thermometer sensor in my cab that sends the signal to a remote display so that I can see if the temps get too high. I have had that a few years through 3 or 4 grows with no problems. I'm sure the signal is similar. Scared me at first reading this. Then I realized how silly that is. DOH!

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
My router (and Xbox for that matter) sit on my desk where I also have a small veg box for seeds, cuttings, and plants....... Haven't had a problem yet.

Same here.. always pop seeds on top of router.. 99.% success rate.

Look at Cell towers and power lines.. they are not barren wastelands where nothing grows.. More testing needs to be done.