What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there such a thing as a "good" Blueberry?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Let me start by saying that the very first seeds I ever ordered, and hence the first plants I ever grew, were DJ Shorts Blueberry. This was in the days of Seeds Direct. I absolutely loved it! So I am not hating, I am simply asking an honest question.

Everyone agrees that Blueberry is a great strain to breed with, and there are some PHENOMENAL crosses out there. But most people also tend to agree that Blueberry itself is kind of hit or miss. What I mean is, you either find a good yielder, OR it has the light blue color, OR it has the euphoric high, but apparently it always tends to lack something that would put it in the "keeper" category.

For instance, of the 10 Blueberry seeds I planted back in 1996, I ended up with only 1 plant that had the blue color, the blueberry smell and taste, and a wonderful smiley high... but it was a shit yielder. That was the only reason I didn't keep her. But to this day that high, smell, and flavor are up there in my top 2 of all time. The only thing that has beaten that, for me, was SS Bubblegum.

So my question is: Is there such a thing as a blueberry backcross or stabilized line that has the taste, the smell, the high, but also some good yield? Because I am just a personal grower, only grow for myself and my wife, and I can't justify putting a plant in my stable that won't earn its keep.

Thanks in advance!

Clive

I seem to hear nothing but bad things about blueberry and DJ short poor germination bad yields and his prices are a fucking scandal. It's just not good enough.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Right, that's why I'm interested in any breeders, any seed banks, it doesn't matter. Maybe some pollen chucker out there found a really badass pheno somewhere along the line and then selfed it, or backcrossed it with more Blueberry? Or maybe someone who did kind of like what BOG did with White Label's Bubblegum?

feralct

I haven't been able to find the good bb even in clone form. It must've gotten crossed to an indy at some point. Dj's bb seemed like a berry scented/flavored afghani when I grew it in 03.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I seem to hear nothing but bad things about blueberry and DJ short poor germination bad yields and his prices are a fucking scandal. It's just not good enough.
Breeders should date all their seeds, and vendors should show the date they bought a batch of seeds next to the listing on the website.
The trouble with DJs pips is he makes a huge run and then these seeds are sold for the next half a decade(at least). Coupled with high prices which mean the seeds stay on the shelves even longer than lower priced seeds, you have a recipe for people receiving non-viable seeds for their hard earned money.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
It also seems to me that someone who has the space, and is so inclined, could choose from a number of Blueberry hybrids (Chimera's Grapefruit x Blueberry comes to mind!) make F2's, and then find a good Blueberry representative from this batch to then do some selfing or backcrossing with.

Damn. I wish I wasn't relegated to a tiny closet. :(

Hi - don't know where you're located, but on the west coast US there is the '98 blueberry clone floating around as well as many other blueberry crosses. The '98 is some nice herb, complex smells and tastes, with euphoric high, not super potent, stretch indica. Personally blueberry is near the bottom of my list of smokes. best of luck on your search

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yeah, I'm on the east coast, paka. Thank you for the info, though. I'll have to let my Oregon connect know to look for it for me.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
i thought there was alot of blue types around Oregon like the dabney blue/ blue magoo etc? seemed to be a few bb hybrid coming from there.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
Dynasty Seeds has Blue Heron, their attempt at Blue Magoo in seed

look at his site, in all honesty, this guy does the work and shares everything he finds. He tells you all the phenotypes you will find and how they all react to everything.

I have not grown his gear, but I respect his work, and plan on getting my hands dirty

Bheron-01.jpg

Desert Hydro

Veteran
im running jackberry from s@nnie right now but barely just started flowering. ive heard good things and i wanted a fast flower colorful herb in my strain selection. anything s@nnie is a good choice imo

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
blue heron from dynasty seeds is prolly a killer. ive grown their cosmic brain & growing out drizella now, blue magoo bx (aka blue heron) has got my vote aswell...
but just like w everything, its a pheno hunt for the killer killer

vertigo0007

Ive only seen a couple sweet ones in mi, plus several bad ones. Several, several bad ones. Im currently running one of (in my opinion) the best 2 cuts in mi. Its from dp seed stock, you know the story there. Took 32 or 37 to find this one. Grows a bit more 'ghani than some but much less than others. The more you top it the more it rages. Beautiful chubby sugar babbies. It smells and tastes like an animated blueberry muffin with a slight hint of the non existent blueberry muffin sour patch kid, but not the initial sour where you can only taste citric acid. Im talking about after that when the sweet takes over and theres just a tiny bit of sour left. Tiny bit. Its a dream to grow but there can be issues with air flow due to density in the clusters. Gotta spread their arms a little bit... Let it breath. And allow adequate dry time in between waterings. It makes sick bho. A plant that smells like blueberry muffin extract made into exract is a wonderdul thing. The high varies w harvest time. If it comes down early it can be a very euphoric head high with a giggly chest high. Like that high school pot smoking giggle. Or a relaxed feel version that increases as harvest time increases.

jayjayfrank

Veteran
i think the answer to your question is this...

its a numbers game. buy 6 packs of dj short blueberry(or anything) grow 30 females, harvest atleast twice and do 'true sampling'(dont smoke for a day, only smoke one hit) you'll find what your looking for. but heres the thing, the answer to 'not enough yield' is higher numbers, plane and simple, growing more plants gets you more weight.

dj is the king of blueberry. only breeder that could even come close would be chimera and spice of life- right? and that is because they had access to djs blueberry to begin with. i don't believe any pollen chucker is able to actually isolate anything useful in a BX from a ten pack(from the same place we buy our seeds at that).

djs blueberry clone is going around isnt? the high time winning cut that he grew himself and submited? isnt that the story? i could be wrong... but im sure i have read that multiple places. so IF you got your hands on the high times winning dj short blueberry cut would that not be enough? after that you are kinda just looking for gold at the end of the rainbow right?

and this is all under the assumption that you'll be able to get the cut to perform like dj does with his 30 years of growing....maybe the reason why 'his shit is so hard to grow'

KITCHA

Veteran
Grew peaks blueberry and it was average at best, had read a few promisining reports but I didn't fint anything that resembled the real old school blueberry we seek. Hoping rare dankness long peak blue might have some solid blueberry phenos.

OLDproLg

Veteran
Dutch Passion..BB!

Never run Dj's but got a pack of DP's that had some GREAT pheno's long ago!!
Not shure whats up whith them now?
ANyone know about the new stock of DP's version lately???
WAS one good smoke and 1 of my first seed packs,lost my seeds to the feds.
HELP is needed here folks.
As far as breeding stock no way,just great pheno sellects!!!
LOVE the taste,when true blue
LOVE the look,when done right!
LOVE the high euforic relaxent too..