What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pythium

Gazoo31

Water temp is 68-69. Using 60/40 ro tap. This is not fucking looking good compared to my last run. Plants look dead overnight. Running maxigrow with a touch of silica for ph up. Also used some calcium hypochlorite at 2ppm. This never happened my last run. I need to get something flowering soon, as I’m way behind on the cycle.

Thinking of burning with fire, ripping the RDWC out and using my moms in coco for a flower run. I just don’t want the same strain back to back and I really enjoyed dwc when it worked for me. Shit was vigorous lol.

Not having a good day lol. Should I dispose of with extreme prejudice? Or ride it out? I cleaned everything with bleach and anolyte between runs. I literally spent a whole 8 hour day sterilizing the room between cycles. Grr.

Ph is 5.8 400ppm with 300 being maxigrow. Temp 68-70. I can’t afford the chiller as I’m starting school soon.

Attatched pics of problems and one of last cycle’s success in comparison. :noway:

Attachments

• 3E67B0E6-3252-46B4-A079-5B3CE56C2967.jpg
    3E67B0E6-3252-46B4-A079-5B3CE56C2967.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 17B46D22-F894-43AF-AE3C-CD495CCEF44F.jpg
    17B46D22-F894-43AF-AE3C-CD495CCEF44F.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 98ADBDF7-6C97-43D4-933B-42C1A32D13CD.jpg
    98ADBDF7-6C97-43D4-933B-42C1A32D13CD.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 44999E8B-26A0-4DA2-925B-A2CFD069D82C.jpg
    44999E8B-26A0-4DA2-925B-A2CFD069D82C.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 32
  • 556F5661-7D79-4485-8DD5-169032CDDC7F.jpg
    556F5661-7D79-4485-8DD5-169032CDDC7F.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 30

Hydro8

Where the plants started in ?

I ask because I have got Pythium from rockwol and soil stuck to clone roots.

Drop That Sound

That foam can't be good, and seeing it stuck to the side of the netpot appears that you have the water level too high as well, should be under the pot at least a half inch or more as soon as some roots start popping down in which yours already have.

I use smaller 3.75" net pots so I can have more solution in my buckets/rdwc systems, and use less medium that really isnt needed, and still grow large plants. They need a little support usually though if they get too big with smaller pots.

With a large net pot, it takes up so much space in a 5 gal bucket, by the time you lower the level when the roots emerge you would barely have maybe a few gallons of water in each bucket when at the right level opposed to 3+ gallons with a small net pot.

But yah I would be worried if my res was frothing up like a compost tea..

Sorry man RR is the worst, watching them wilt away. Ive never really had small plants be affected, if I did I would try to fix them anyway as they are still small enough to deal with.

Pests can spread diseases to the pots too, including fungus nats, ive had that happen.
Like hydro8 says the cloning mediums can harbor the nasties too, And attract pests. I try to remove as much as possible at some point, rockwool is pretty easy to rip away, I never use root riots for dwc plant clones anymore, i call them root rots now.

With that reflectix over the pot its trapping moisture in there too, which could rot them out. Better to let the top of the rocks dry out, and just use the covers when doing maintenence to keep stuff out.

Gazoo31

Thanks for the reply man. Yes germinated in rockwool instead of coco this time and I think that’s my biggest problem. My water level is high, but is about 1” beneath the net pot. This literally happened at the worst possible time for me I just don’t have time to be emptying 40 plus gallons over and over to save them. So I have Hygrozyme in the Rez now which has made a significant improvement. I’ll see if that works. If if doesn’t I’m going back to coco until I can afford a chiller and the time to sterilize every thing.

Hydro8

When I have Pythium problems from Rockwol they go away once the roots get a firm grip on the cube. It think the roots have chemicals that will kill the Pythium once they get established.

I had funk happen with new rockwol cubes a couple of times, I clean the res then mix the nutes with chlorine tap water, then add .25ml per gallon 6%bleach if the water starts getting unclear again.

Also I find if I kept the water 2"-2.5" inches blew the cubes it seemed to help. I would just water the cubes with nutes twice a day and they would grow out of the funk in a week or two. Then on to DWC greatness.

Good luck hopefully it goes away in a few days or so.

Gazoo31

Awesome thanks for the replies. As of now the foam is pretty much gone. Smell is dissipating and the girls look a little more perky. I added a pump on the side of my res and ditched my airstones. It’s movijg water extremely aggressively now, and I’ll compare water temp between it and the air pump that was in the res.

Gazoo31

Yes they’re recovering! All kinds of roots exploding out of the net pots now. This is good. I’ve realized I hate watering coco and how wasteful of water it is. Once RDWC is dialed in I can be much lazier. ;P
Lowered the water a touch and ditched the reflectix. Hopefully things keep getting better.