What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gfci in subpanal?

JJ Lowe

Question about adding a gfci in my sub panel.

I have a 2 pole 40amp breaker feeding my sub, approximately 20ft away in my (attached) garage. The sub panel has 2 20 amp 2 pole breakers, one feeding a 18k mini split, the other 20 amp is feeding a lighting controller powering 10 lec315, (330 watts each). Everything was installed by a licensed electrician, following local codes.

For added safety I would like to add a gfci breaker. Should this be added to the 40amp main panel, or just a single 20 amp gfci 2pole in the sub panel for the lighting controller? I'm having the electrition over later this week and wanted some opinions from fellow growers. My buddy is a great electrition, he's just not that familiar with growroom SOP's.. thanks..

im not positive on this but i think some air conditioners wont run on GFCI circuits or maybe that was arc fault circuit breakers, i cant remeber lol so id ask ur elec guy.

id just run the one GFCI 20amp circuit breaker for your lights and keep the a/c circuit on a regular breaker

OldPhart

If it is well installed (wires off floor and properly protected), there is no reasonable reason to have GFCI. I know I'm going to get flamed, but I have NEVER been shocked when things are well installed. I'm assuming you are bright enough to not stand in water and screw around with a running light. I have seen too many GFCIs cause issues. You do understand that a GFCI's only purpose is to protect against shock, it does NOTHING else?

PS, I wanted to add that the only thing I would suggest having on GFCI is the small/portable equipment which is often times run on a two prong plug. But these are the devices that are normally most critical such as fans/pumps. If it were me, I would not run GFCI on a grow, unless things are installed poorly or there are children in the grow. But that brings up a whole new set of issues. :D

Last edited:
you can install a GFCI breaker in your main panel. your sub panel already is loaded with 40a with 2-20a circuits. Adding a GFCI is easy you just replace a 20a circuit breaker already wired for outlets and replace with a same GFCI breaker and now you have additional protections. Whenever an outlet is within 5 feet of water GFCI is required by code.

Latest posts

Latest posts