What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Police Flir and Glass

littlegrow

i have been checking this Flir out and have realised a police Flir camera can't see though glass which is great now im going to be growing in an insulated outside shed.

now what if i were to put up a greenhouse frame a bit bigger than my current shed over it and line the frame with glass exactly like a green house and if anyone asked i could just be storing it but on a police Flir camera they would never notice it am i right or just over thinking it ? :)

amanda88

File:NAVFLIR_DAMOCLES_P1220870.jpg

true these cameras can't see thru glass but they can see the heat coming thru the glass ..lol

littlegrow

ahhh i see im just trying best to to insulate my 6x8 shed the only problem i have is a Flir camera can a helicopter detect a 600w hps in an insulated shed if the extraction is into the floor under the shed ?

Easy7

Veteran
Not a lot of reasons for a shed to emit heat. Perhaps a large out building may have a wood burning stove for a workshop. Anything substantial will be at the local inspectors office.

The thing about flir is they don't know what's going on inside. Yes it's unusual for an attic to be the warmest part of a house. But a basement could be finished as a living room with excellent heat source. A bedroom could be sealed off and the only room heated. They don't know anything other than a hotspot. Also growing and grow equipment is not illegal. America's favorite cash crop is illegal.

Sadly most judges will write a warrant at simply suggestion.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Lots of data and video available on the FLIR.

It may freak you out a little how easy to pinpoint a lazy grow is.

Masking a signature as well as misdirection work well.

600w may not be big enough to take a second look,
unless you sell from your house or other such foolishness.

troutman

Seed Whore
Most people get caught because of rats and not flir usage. :tiphat:

As long as you have no light leaks you should be safe.

If you run your light(s) in the day. Flir is useless.

flir doesnt mean shit to light, its about concentration of heat, if youre pumping out hot air into the outside people see that shit, judge will give warrants are you ass will be checked out
an 600 watt exhausting straight into the outside is a big red dot, literally.

getpulse.co

We have done some testing with FLIR thermal cameras. The bottom line is that a FLIR will not pick up anything if there is not direct heat on whatever you are inspecting.

For example, we had a grow space which had a large window exposed to an open/public street. The FLIR was not able to detect anything because we insulated in the interior window frame with R-52 fiberglass insulation and then sealed off the window cavity with a cut to fit piece of plywood. Not only did this create a "flush" wall, but it isolated the exterior window from the interior grow environment conditions.

Bottom line is, insulate and seal everything up well. What the thermal cameras WILL pick up is your hot air exhaust so keep that in mind. If you are paranoid, I've HEARD of people ordering FLIR's on Amazon and then returning then.

Stay safe :tiphat:

getpulse.co

Ok well I had never had the chance to play with the FLIR so this was a good excuse. We have a 4x4 test tent and I turned off all the lights to show you. In the pics below you can clearly see the hot zone around the tent, this is because the tent material itself is heating up. Insulate insulate insulate!

weOxqdf.jpg

uhVFBPU.jpg

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
One thing to think about is that glass doesn't let UV radiation pass through very well. The pot wouldn't be as strong since the resin is the plants attempt to make sunscreen. That is why some LED lights have a few UV bulbs in them. Some day I am going to experiment and see how much percentage of UV is stopped by the glass.

Drop That Sound

Years ago for less than 5-10 dollars worth of parts, I could bounce a cheap laser off a window and back into a radio shack photocell. Then I used some free program (audacity and a plugin?) if I remember right, to convert the photocells signal back into noise.

The window vibrations are what made this possible. I could hear my family's convo's very well, halfway through the house, from around 50 feet away.

Imagine what one could do now, like 15 years later, with a few extra bucks. Especially police and other bad guys. I bet there are powerful invisible lasers that can't even be seen, unlike my cheap gas station one during my test.

FLIR is one thing, but what about smart meters, etc. How much do we really know?

The electricity coming into are homes is pretty dirty, no one really filters it. We've have had wifi cards that transmit through your house wiring, and now even light bulbs! Almost all the equipment we buy is regulated, and probably has some chip built in that relays information to the smart meter. Just like the backdoor in every intel processor.

Samsung smart TV's and other devices listening are another thing, but even the older televisions had speakers. A speaker is no different than a microphone you know.. just a simple input switch in the audio circuit and it now is one. If the TV\monitor is new enough that it has a small led light that stays on while plugged in/turned off, then there is certainly enough juice to use one speaker to listen to people.

If they can legally use FLIR against us, imagine what they are illegaly doing! :eek: