What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Ona gel (Ongoing project)

DrWho19xx

First off, why bother making a replica ?
- Well, to be honost both since I'm cheap and I like to do stuff myself if possible. Where I currently live it's a hefty cost of 35 USD for a quart (~1 liter) and if I import it will land on something similar with shipping. But in US it costs roughly around 18 USD incl production/packaging + profit. So the contents can't exactly be rocket science right ?

This guy here is making an air freshener gel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHlCiwXQ8og

Ingredients

• 1 cup water (2,3 DL)
  • 2 tablespoons concentrated essence of your choice (30 ML)
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt (~10ML) Prevent mold.
  • Colour or your choice (Hey, everything looks cooler with color)
  • 1 drop of dishwasher liquid soap (if you use a oil based essens it will form a blended emulsion)
And if you do not wish to use gelatine (animal product), use agaragar 25G on 5DL water and switch the ratio on the other stuff above properly.

Perheps something that could be worth continuing developing for the better ?

My batch on cooling.
:laughing:

Attachments

• Gel.jpg
    Gel.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 53

DrWho19xx

And if you wish to have the similar pieces as ona-gel, you can blend it.

If you need to adjust the ingredients you can melt everything down again and add what you need without problem.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
How about mixing the liquids in your recipe with the polymer moisture beads used to maintain moisture in soil? I use this method to make some of the hunting scents I use last longer out in the field.

DrWho19xx

I actually never seen that product, so it absorbs the water and then releases out with time ? It would be cool to make one and see how long it stands compared to gelatine / agaragar. What kind of stores has it on the shelfs ? When checking online it seems like it's within a good price range.

My base is now nicely firm thanks to the gelatine and if I'm understanding the beads right they got a similar function ?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought ONA Gel was an odor absorber that removes odors from the air instead of just covering them up w other scents.

An air freshener won't stop a dog from smelling cannabis but it will cover it up for most humans.

DrWho19xx

I was under the impression that ona gel slowly disolves/evaporates with time? But if it actually absorbes the product then the left overs in the container would smell highly concentrated from all it has absorbed during the time ?

This will not fool any dogs at all, but could be developed for a decent "human nose fooler" that suits a couple of plants in a closet or other small spaces.

But does ona gel really fool any dogs ?

DrWho19xx

I've found a company that makes odor absorbing liquid wich I will try to add to the recipe, goes for ~8USD for 1 liter. Both eco-friendly and biodegradable.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I actually never seen that product, so it absorbs the water and then releases out with time ? It would be cool to make one and see how long it stands compared to gelatine / agaragar. What kind of stores has it on the shelfs ? When checking online it seems like it's within a good price range.

My base is now nicely firm thanks to the gelatine and if I'm understanding the beads right they got a similar function ?

Yes. The product I used is called Soil Moist.
https://www.amazon.com/Soil-Moist-JCD-05SM-8-Ounce-Granules/dp/B002CA8WO2

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can pick up 'silica gel beads" that don't already have the water added for a lot cheaper than Soil Moist. They're essentially the same thing.

I was under the impression that ona gel slowly disolves/evaporates with time? But if it actually absorbes the product then the left overs in the container would smell highly concentrated from all it has absorbed during the time ?

This will not fool any dogs at all, but could be developed for a decent "human nose fooler" that suits a couple of plants in a closet or other small spaces.

But does ona gel really fool any dogs ?

Yeah... I'm not really sure how the stuff works. I've no need for it. My closest neighbor is over 1/2 mile away. HA! I doubt that ona gel would fool dogs either.

Latest posts

Latest posts