What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cuttings do great in plain H2o, but not in any medium

Dblbogey

I have cuttings I have to remove from media, and put in plain water for them to revive. An hour or so after withdrawing them from my rockwool clone tray, Octo-cloner, vermiculite, or warm sand, they are back to normal. Within an hour of being placed back in their respective media, they droop once again. I can't believe how much they seem to thrive in plain ordinary 6.5 tap water, no air bubbler.

all 6 of the other cuttings I've taken the last several days are in the garden as mulch. They didn't live even 48 hours.

I am half-tempted to pull a plant that is very leggy, two months old. that won't produce even enough flowers to make a single bowl on a bong, put it in plain water to see what happens. A poor man's DWC.

Why is it they seem to at least be stable in plain water, but cannot tolerate media?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I do cuttings in water, they all root, but take up to 14 days.

If I did commercial, I would do aero style.

As it is, I root maybe 4-6 cuttings at a time, thermostat controlled
heat mat in cooler temps, natch.

Keep us posted on your continuing quest to roots.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I've rooted cuts in plain water but if I don't change the water regularly it grows algea.

Yup, I change out the water every couple days to avoid the
algae and any bugs that might want to lay eggs in it.

DunHav`nFun

80 degrees Fahrenheit and 80% relative humidity ruled my world with 100% success for over 20 yrs....what type media are you stickin em in....sounds too wet or too cold to this old ass but without more info we`re ALL guessing....regardless.....Good luck and.....

Peace....DHF....:ying:...