What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Variable Speed Fan Controller

I was just wondering if its ok to plug a power strip into a fan controller, in order to have 2 fans running on one unit? Anyone setup like this ? any electricians wanna tell me why i shouldnt?:confused:

klouski

controller should have a load rating in amps or watts, if ur fans add up to less than that SHOULD be fine.

OldSSSCGuy

which would have to b the amount of the 2 fans put together then...

More like the power they draw at the power setting of the controller... A fan that draws 15 amps at full speed will draw less at half speed.
If you have a 20 amp max speed controller then plug it into a 15 amp fused power strip and your butt is covered on the safety angle.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
haven't used a power strip ,,but I have used an adapter to have several plugins.. think its 3 on one and 2 on the other..no problems ...yeehaw

Megaprop

For most fans and controllers a power strip should be fine. Just as long as the ratings of the fans, when added together, don't exceed the controller's amp/wattage rating.