What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ive never seen this b4!

diggitydank420

I am no n00b to growing but, I am not an expert either. I wanna pick my plant when the crystals start to get cloudy to 20% amber but this year I am having trouble distinguishing how far along it is can you guys help!!!! Some pics look amber some clear and others purple! ooo1.jpg

ooo2.jpg

ooo3.jpg

ooo4.jpg

ooo5.jpg

ooo6.jpg

muddywaters

our nlxshiva was like that, all the tric's were purple. we got the strain from a friend who grew it for years, so we just harvested when he told us about how long they normally took.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
wow impressive I have never seen purple trichcomes/ resin glands before....what strain is that?

peace
Chefboy

Ptone

Very Cool. I definitely see some amber in there. Need to see full bud shots to be sure but I'd say its ready.

P

powerrobbie

thats awesome, what strain is that? Take some full plant and bud shots and it will be much easier for us to tell you if its ready because I personally have never seen purple trichcomes but I see some amber in there too so its possible they are ready or close to ready

WelderDan

Veteran
I'd say you're there if you are shooting for 20% amber.

I generally go for 80% cloudy, since you can have amber and still have mostly clear trichs, depending on strain. But that's my preference.

And are you taking samples from the whole plant? I've seen all clear on part of the plant and cloudy on other parts.

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Hi guys

I thought i would chime in with an unusual comment. You can consider it anyway you wish, i dont claim to know it all, perhaps im wrong, but its what i have observed over the years..

After years and years of harvesting outdoor crops, in my mind i dont know of a bigger myth than the suggestion that the color of trichs in outdoor can provide any indication of harvest time or effect of the drug. Its a bit different for indoor, but in the outdoor there are so many things that can turn trichs brown from bug spray to 100 degree temps. Ive seen brown trichs on plants that hadnt been in flower but 3 or 4 weeks.

Ive harvested early and ive let fully matured plants,( i forgort a few) stand in the field until they were dead from cold and had been rained on several times. The smoke from those plants was indecernable from plants picked at peak ripeness or those picked early.

I tossed my loope away 10 years ago as a usleless device that hasnt been out of the case since. When the buds harden and darken, they are ripe. To wait a few weeks after that is of no consequence to potency or effect. It is my opinion that the belief that there is a special, certain time to harvest is hogwash.

There are places in columbia and in afghanistan where plants are left in the field until they are effectively dead before they are harvested. I know why. Pm me in 10 years and tell me if you agree.

always rockin the boat. Ill sit down now

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Like D.S., I don't see much point in looking at trichs outdoor.

I look to see pistil production nearly stopped and the calyxes swollen.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I've found that any nitrogen deficiency once flowering has initiated can result in yellowing fan leaves.

It is not a good indicator of maturity.

D.S. I totally agree with what you’re saying, especially when it comes to those long flowering babes with a wider window for harvest.

But surely you’ve come across a discernable difference between early and late harvest with those short flowering ladies.
Also have you noticed if the lunar cycle plays any part in how plants mature, would really love to hear your input if you have (addendum : I’m on the equator in the tropics, so it might be a bit different over here)
Cheers.