What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why 'pot up' gradually ?

Hi

Might have a go at soil and always wondered why do you need to increase pot size gradually as plant grow ?

I can understand rooting in a small jiffy/pot but why not just go straight to the largest/flower pot ?

This does not happen in nature ?

Also how many times do you need to do it and whats a good pot/size for final flower ??

Cheers

glasseye

small plants in big pots take too long to dry out. weed likes to be dry for the most part. clones go into a 2 or 3 inch pot, get transplanted after a couple weeks in a 6 inch pot, finish in a 9 inch pot

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Might have a go at soil and always wondered why do you need to increase pot size gradually as plant grow?

You don't have to, but as glasseye alluded to it is much easier to get the watering right when the plant is sized to the pot. A lot of people have issues watering with small plants in big containers. If you have a handle on the watering you can go from a seedling cup to 5+ gallon pot. The last time I planted I went from a half gallon nursery pot to a 20 gallon tote without issue.

Also how many times do you need to do it and whats a good pot/size for final flower ??

There are enough variables that this is difficult to answer. A lot of it depends on how long you intent to veg, how much space you have, and how big you want your plants to get.

Pine

BigSteve

I think potting up gradually could only really benefit somebody with weak setup.

I went from party cups to 10gallon pots and within 4 days they were so full of roots that water could barely go in the pot. I used 1000k lights and CO2 and perfect temps. And coco is what I use also.

potting up is an art, u can have a plant drying out faster in a med to small container, that way u can water more often and with it bring in fresh gases to every square inch of your medium more frequently, u dont want to go to small as your goal is a big healthy set up roots, by mindfully potting up at the right tiime can give u fast growth and the space for them to grow.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Space is an issue for most people.
If you got that great big HPS in the sky, then fuck-it!
Yeah, it's easier for some to water smaller pots, also.

In the event of air-root pruning container sizes also are important.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi

Might have a go at soil and always wondered why do you need to increase pot size gradually as plant grow ?

I can understand rooting in a small jiffy/pot but why not just go straight to the largest/flower pot ?

This does not happen in nature ?

Cheers

Good question :yes:

Firstly, in 'nature' cannabis grows wild/feral as a 'weed'. so it doesn't always reach its full potential. In a domesticated setting ,, then we have the benefit of everything available to the plant as growers :D

Second. x3 stages is normal for us,, from small cell trays,, to 4inch pots, to 10-14 inch plant pots. (or trays)

Increasing the pot size is done for a number of reasons...

1) logistics, (space, time, soil,, for some money)

2) watering (less chance of over/under watering in smaller pots)

3) root growth (plants roots can be re-potted without restriction in growth).

4) soil temperature (small pots warm quicker and hold less cold)

5) plant size (the final stage normally produces the final yield in soil, depending on veg time)

Note : it's easy to jump into a large pot ,, over or under water. also a plant/clone will often become/remain stunted in growth as a result of being potted-on when too young,, or over root-bound when transplanted.. so staging the potting helps keep both eyes on what's happening.

But remember,,,, dem growers in soil-beds will debate otherwise, and with under soil watering in place (like Growdoc) ,, they'll probably win :D :canabis:

Hope this helps

its no prob to start in ten gallons, none whats so ever. but if u watch plants grow from sprout in 5 galls verses being potted up they will come out looking differant, u tend to find the plants in big pots are bigger in leafs n width but youll usually not always but usally find that the potted up lants are more advance in internodes and overall plant development.

303hydro

senior primate of the 303 cornbread mafia
Veteran
no reason but space

Agreed. For indoor growers you are wasting light if you plant your seedlings in a 5 gallon pot ..

If that wasn't an issue then I say plant them directly in the pot your going to flower in. Regardless of plant size , the roots are gonna fill the space you give them. Bigger roots = more ability to take in food= bigger plant faster. Also you would avoid the two day stunt every time you "up pot".

Just my opinion, I don't know shit.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Its already been said, but its true, if the plants are in big pots taking forever to dry out because the roots aren't the right size, then the water stagnates and just turns the medium to shit.

Also roots are like muscles, drying is like going to the gym. In dry soil the roots are spreading out seeking moisture allowing for more growth.

Which is why a lot of the time when you transplant in to an over sized soggy pot, the plant just doesn't absorb anything or put down substantial roots for awhile

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also you would avoid the two day stunt every time you "up pot".

Just my opinion, I don't know shit.

You probably know more than you're letting on .. lol :D

Stunting only really occurs when re-potting is caught too early or too late (happened loads to us),, but it's like a wave,, if you hit it at the right time,, they fly.

Kerbdog used to re-pot his rooted mothers/clones into fresh out a bag non-watered soil/compost,, and they'd root down in 2days. Then he'd water them.. lol (treat em mean, keep em keen) , depends how humid conditions are

Often depends how vigorous or wild the strain is.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To add: we have a habit of lifting young clones/seedling up , to see if the roots have hit the bottoms of the pots,, once they have, a few days later they get a transplant, This also helps prevent any root rot.

Remember the required pot size is often related to the veg time with BIG plants.. otherwise plants can be flowered in anything from 1oz shot-glasses to 50litre planters at any age after 5 days :D :bandit: :canabis:

peace

as a rookie i repotted a lot. after i learned how to water, not so much. most newbs stunt plants growth or kill them with too much water.(as i did)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From seedling to adult

12oz cup=1g pot=10gpot The plants that are in 1g pots can get very large so to go from 1 to 10 is not a big deal. I have seen people get 8oz from a 2g pot.

supermanlives

Veteran
fwiw when i transplant the plants dont miss a beat. proper transplanting . if i had the room for bigger pots i would plant right in the final container. but with electric prices i cant. smaller containers equals more plants . some get culled and with seed crops males pulled. so it just makes sence to have more smaller containers. simple

I'm not sure if this is true, but its something I've heard.

If you're not using some kind of air pruning pots, then when the roots hit the outside of your container, they'll start circling around the outside, instead of heading back into your pot to find more medium. By transplanting in steps, you ensure that the roots will maximize their use of medium.

But I could be wrong.

supermanlives

Veteran
some also claim by transplanting the roots make better use of the soil available to them . but i did side by side test once and saw no increase in yield . i would love to try it again and verify my conclusion. maybe something for advanced tec and experiments?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I'm not sure if this is true, but its something I've heard.

If you're not using some kind of air pruning pots, then when the roots hit the outside of your container, they'll start circling around the outside, instead of heading back into your pot to find more medium. By transplanting in steps, you ensure that the roots will maximize their use of medium.

But I could be wrong.

Came in here to say THIS^

In any pot, plant roots race to the edges. by up-potting, we force them to fill in the entire small pot with roots before they get more room, then they fill that up completely. Otherwise, a plant in a single large pot will only have roots on the outer edges and very little in the middle, hindering uptake by reduced root mass.