What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheap pH down

Online ordering and grow shops are not options so...

wondering about this product-
http://store.miraclesealants.com/product_p/pcc.htm

there's pds/msds on that page.

I'm not sure how to check if there is any other junk in the product. I checked the label and read the pds/msds, either I missed it, I'm not smart enough to find it, or it's not there.

Anyone ever use it? Is that linked product just H3PO4? Would it kill my plants somehow? It's green colored so it that stuff a dye or natural color?

Should I just stick with H2SO4 from a car store? My ferts have high sulfur (and low p) already so I was trying to avoid adding more sulfur if possible.

Why not use citric acid, it’s cheap, easily available, relatively safe and also has the added bonus of nullifying salt build up, via chelation.

Well I tried lime juice and vinegar (separately) before, I get too much drift the next day and thereafter, up to +1.0 pH a day and with proper pH down I get almost no drift at all. I read people have similar problems even with mostly pure citric acid powder.

V

vonforne

A great PH down for pennies......Citric Acid in the powder form from the health food store.

use good nutrients if your doing hydro with good ph buffers . once roots hit water they will hold ph once set . Advanced ,GHydroponics , Ionic , Techna Flora , Botanacare . all are good at holding a stable PH . rising in PH is from plants eatting. ive laways used vinegar in my hydroponic setups without a problem of holding 5.8 PH with all the above lines

C

cyber echo

Vitamin C tablets work great as pH-, it also eats up any chlorine/chloramine in the water.
They are way ore stable than citric acid which usually breaks down in hours.

Pop a few (pure) vitamin-c tables in a 500ml bottle and treat it like a ph- bottle.
Keep it stored in a fridge (and darkness, as light breaks vitamin c up) for longetivity.

There are pure vitamin-c tablets around specifically made for water treatment, and they are not expensive at all.
I would not go with the normal human vitamin-c tablets as they have a shitton of things in them. Some of which may be bad for your plant.

rising in PH is from plants eatting.

Not in my case as I'm growing coco drain to waste, but I premix the res (plants don't tap this, I hand water) and it can sit for up to 3-4 days before it's fully used, in that res is where I notice the drift. I use jacks professional hydro and CaNO3. If I use a pH down with Phosphoric acid it stays stable for days and pH doesn't budge, but like I said had previous problems with drift using vinegar or lime juice (and r/o water)

I'll give citric acid a shot since it can't hurt, cheap, easy to get. But back to comments that product I linked in the OP please (or other Phosphoric acid products). It has me interested as it's the same as general hydros (and others) pH down, and could be useful in flowering with my low p fert assuming it's H3PO4 without a bunch of added junk.

C

cyber echo

Check vitamin C bro ;)
That thing you linked is a cleaning product :O
I'd stay away.

Catchin1

buy

buy

buy 1 gallon of muriatic acid.........best ph down there is and cheap too.........just storing it is a caustic hazzard.
:wave:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
another vote for citric - organic friendly too and, being a natural acid exuded by plant roots, has other benefits for your grow too.

VG

mg75

Advanced Nutrients has some strong PH up/down. a few drops will be enough for most. i have never encountered a stronger PH adjuster.
EarthJuice makes a natural PH down which is basically powdered citric acid. if you are doing an organic based grow where you depend on beneficials to breakdown food, then i would go with citric. if you are doing a dead res all chem then the AN PH down is killer.