What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My homemade "liquid karma" recipe

Just mixed this up. Will be testing later this week.

In 2 gallons of water:

2 TBS earthworm castings
1.5 TBS alfalfa meal
1/4 tsp humic acid (TM-7)
1/4 tsp seaweed extract
2 oz aloe vera juice
1/2 tsp agave nectar
1 cup k-mag solution (1 TBS diluted in 1gal)

I was going to do this in 1 gal of water but thought I better dilute then work up from there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Feel free to add alot more EWC like a cup or two if ya want. I would sub molasses for the agave and aloe.
I would add more kelp and cut out the K-mag (don't like adding salts to my teas) The humic acid is a waste of money when EWC is sooo cheap. Besides I don't like adding chelates that will force feed my plants...I want my plants to feed when they are hungry. Just some thoughts for ya...I'm sure what ya got will work just fine though.

C

CC_2U

OT

CC1 and I have been running 2 oz. of aloe vera extract to each gallon of water.

BTW - the aloe vera company, Lily of The Desert, has a 100% preservative-free product in 2 forms. About $25.00 per gallon at Whole Foods, et al.

FYI

CC

h.h.

Veteran
The agave, I'd switch for molasses. The aloe vera, I'd switch for yucca.

Thanks for the replies.
I do place a high value on ewc and have been mixing around 25-30% into my base soil mix as well as top dressing and making ewc slurries.
I do usually use molasses but am running low so I used the agave nectar this time.
The aloe vera juice, k-mag and humic acids are all mainstays in my program and will continue to see action.
This mix is one of many that I am playing with as far as nutrient teas and such and is more of a way to keep amused than for any real specific need by the plants.

Cheers

h.h.

Veteran
The greatest benefit from aloe is the saponins which are more available in the yucca. I use both only because I grow both. Th pick one to buy, my money would be on the yucca.
Agave is somewhat acidic. It looses some in processing.
I cut the heads off of a flowering onion. Filled the remaining tubes with water, molasses, and agave. The water produced a snot like substance. The molasses eventually chocked off. The agave filled shoot promptly died. I just found trouble with it that the molasses didn't have. Teas with it seemed flat as well.

what effect does the aloe verna have?
I've seen some amazing results since I started adding aloe vera juice. I think others here have as well.
I haven't tried sourcing yucca extract yet so I don't have experience with it.
All I can say is I really like what the aloe juice and k-mag have done to my plants this run. Simply amazing.
Coincidence? maybe, but I doubt it.

I'll probably bump up the aloe dosage to 2oz per gallon.
Thanks CC.

supuradam

So, to be clear, is that 2oz/gal of aloe vera in place of whatever molasses you'd be using? I feel real dumb sometimes.

And I found a gallon of it for $19.99 at the vitamin shop. Is there any difference/benefit between the "whole leaf" and the "inner fillet"?

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i want to know the same about the whole leaf and the fillet leaf....

whole leaf
33_supp_facts.jpg

fillet juice
7_supp_facts.jpg

these graphics are from lily of the desert that coot linked to.

GoneRooty

From what I've read, whole leaf aloe is just that, they use the whole leaf when processing the plant. This includes the outer "rind" of the leaf, where as leaf fillet means they fillet the leaf (like a fish) and use ONLY the inner aloe gel. I've seen things stating that there are compounds in the outer leaf rind that will actually break down the polysaccharides in the aloe gel. But I've also heard that there is beneficials in the rind. Need to do more research on that, unless CC already has?
The most important thing with aloe gel is to make sure the first ingredient is "stabilized aloe vera gel" and not water.

i love this forum! i just heard about substituting aloe an yucca for LK yesterday in another thread an now it has its own thread.. ill be pulling up a chair, this sounds amazing because i have both very very close to wear im sitting =)

Yeah I guess the moral of the story is you don't need ANY of the grow store products to be very successful at growing this plant.

Who would've thought you can use things around you in nature and things purchased at a nursery or farm/feed stores of all places and still maximize the potential of the plants genetics. (or come close anyway)

Well anyway, I'll probably use this mix for a clone feed and transplant watering for now.

C

CC_2U

The reason that I recommended the 'Lily of The Desert' product, per se, is that they're the largest packer of aloe vera juice (aka gel aka extract) and is the one easiest sourced.

Up to this point (without breaking the bank) their new(er) product lines only contain a single preservative - Citric Acid which plants produce naturally (Krebs cycle according to Spurr and others). Almost all of the other commercial aloe vera products use 1, 2 or 3 of the following: Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid and Sodium Benzoate (this is the bad one)

If you live in Arizona or Texas then you have a lot more options. These are the 2 primary state which grow, harvest and process aloe vera plants - especially Texas alone. Mexico is also a huge producer.

There is another option and that are the highly concentrated powders which is simply dehydrated aloe vera juice. You can find sellers on eBay and a few placed online. It will have designations of one of the following: 50XX, 100XX and 200XX

What these numbers mean is that if you took 1 lb. of the 50XX powder and you mixed it with 49 lbs. of water you'd end up with 50 lbs. of pure strength aloe vera extract (or whatever name you want to call it). Same deal with the 100XX and 200XX versions. A kilo of pure, human-grade 200XX powder is $250.00

But remember when reconstituted you have the full-strength extract meaning that you have to dilute it down. I'm using 2 oz. per gallon for maintenance and I use the pure extract (undiluted) as a rooting gel by adding seaweed extract, humic and fulvic acids and liquid silica.

The final way will mainly apply to areas of the country where you have large Mexican-American populations - fresh aloe vera fillets/leaves. A 30 lb. lug runs $16.00 and each leaf is about 18 - 21" and once you cut the end off and begin squeezing from the opposite end you'll end up with about 2.5 - 3 tablespoons. You have about a 30 minute window to work with before the benzoic acid begins to ferment and then you're on your own.

HTH

CC

Latest posts

Latest posts