What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can a roomate get in trouble for your grow.

So my question is. If the person you are living with (separate rooms) is doing nothing illegal, and you are growing in your room for personal use. Can the person you live with get in trouble? I am a legal patient, but in case i have one extra plant number or rootball laying around I would hate to make someone go to jail for my problem.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Sometimes da good guys lose.

Sometimes da good guys lose.

So my question is. If the person you are living with (separate rooms) is doing nothing illegal, and you are growing in your room for personal use. Can the person you live with get in trouble? I am a legal patient, but in case i have one extra plant number or rootball laying around I would hate to make someone go to jail for my problem.

There-in lies the problem.
Because you have decent instincts, the threat of involving someone you care about is used by some "authorities", to force a plea bargain and worse.

They will threaten to take your children away, to prosecute your wife or roommate, etc.

Whatever you care about.
Whatever it takes.

Keep that in mind when you decide what to do.

Aloha,
Weezard

compost

Your legal I wouldn't worry to much just follow the rules. My wife doesn't have keys or any way to get into my grow area. If I was raided she has been drilled and just knows to cry and ask for a lawyer in between sobs. Take away any connection between him and the grow will make it easier... plausible deniability is a good thing

Midnight

Veteran

Yes. Anyone that says different is full of shit or ignorant.

E

el dub

I remember reading awhile back about a guy who blew his house up doing a butane extract. The neighbors immediately rushed to his aid and were then accused of conspiracy by the police after they arrived on the scene.

Its open season on growers in most states, imo.

lw

HUGE

Veteran
What about if you have a friend at his own home gets busted and there is evidence that I knew he was growing. Can I be charged with conspiracy for not turning him in?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
if you were 215 and 420 compliant you should KNOW the answer to that query.
do some basic research on the law in your state for fucks sake. LEO is not letting plausible deniability interfere with their edict. get a clue, it'll save you.

R

rick shaw

So my question is why don't you get your own place,if its the money just grow a little more,if the reason is security,that you would rather someone that is always home then you should level with them let them stay for free.Quid pro quo

ddrew

Veteran
I saw this pretty much first hand about 12-13 years ago.
3 roommates, one is selling weed.
Place gets raided, all get arrested, everyones guns and money was seized.
Once the lone roommate selling weed owned up to everything downtown, the other two were released, and eventually their property was returned to them.

SmokinErb

Around here it's not called conspiracy but "maintaining a common nuisance." Anyone who's visiting your place can be charged with "visiting a place of common nuisance."

A common nuisance is any residence used for the production or storage of drugs in this sense. IE if LEO comes over and your roommate has a half oz of some herb, you'll get charged for maintaining a common nuisance here.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
If I was raided she has been drilled and just knows to cry and ask for a lawyer in between sobs.

Wish more people would just do that. Instead everyone thinks they can 'work it out' with the cops/detectives.
Another one I heard that worked out well was "take me to jail!". The detective didn't know what to do. He didn't want to, but his bluff was being called. Long story short, 2 years probation for cultivation.

@OP: You shouldn't have much to worry about in Cali as long as you are trying hard enough to keep it legit. Remember, it is still a grey area, keep it quiet. I remember my trip through Cali one summer. Every week front page news, 10,000 plants here, 40,000 plants there.
:blowbubbles:

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Not so good for da lone roomate, yah?

Not so good for da lone roomate, yah?

"Once the lone roommate selling weed owned up to everything downtown"

Thanks ddrew, that's exactly my point.

Looks like he hadda give his ass up, to save his friends.
I've been there.
Nobility?
Stupidity?
Semantics.

It did not end well.:blackeye::frown:

When it comes down to;

"Sign this! Or your roommates go too"

Then, my friend, what will you do.

Do not ever give them a "hostage".
Then, you can just shut up, lawyer up, and tell 'em to piss off!

Aloha,
Weeze

designer

These guys are right. Cops will involve as many people as they can to work all sides towards a conviction (or two). Best bet is to follow the letter of the law.

ddrew

Veteran
"Once the lone roommate selling weed owned up to everything downtown"

Thanks ddrew, that's exactly my point.

Looks like he hadda give his ass up, to save his friends.
I've been there.
Nobility?
Stupidity?
Semantics.

It did not end well.:blackeye::frown:

When it comes down to;

"Sign this! Or your roommates go too"

Then, my friend, what will you do.

Do not ever give them a "hostage".
Then, you can just shut up, lawyer up, and tell 'em to piss off!

Aloha,
Weeze
Exactly
He had to take credit for all of it, or the others would have been charged too, especially the one that owned the house.

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
Say during a knock and talk, can a roommate who is uninvolved in the grow (and also a pussy) consent to a search of a house and in so have consented to the searching of the other roommate or roommates locked bedroom where they grow? Say the growing roommate was not home.

KRD

All they need is for one person to open the door and say its ok to come in. Even if its a guest of yours and not a roomate. Anyone that lets them in makes it legal for them to look through your stuff.

Marshall

Anything is possible. Shit changes county to county in the same state.

Best bet for your roommate is to shut up. Later under the advise of his lawyer, he can possibly claim he knew you grew, saw your med card/license, and figured you were good. How did he know you were over the plant count

I doubt the cops would fuck with a roommate over a plant count being over a couple. BUT IT IS POSSIBLE

tell your roommate to get his card, problem solved !!!