What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New 10 Biobucket system - Mountain Mix/Joey Weed/Purple Trainwreck

#9Dream

It's been a while since I posted one of my grows. My 4 bucket system has been performing well but when I decided to expand I wanted to improve my system by going full bio bucket. This is what I came up with. I wanted flexibility when it comes to positioning the bucket to adjust for different sized plants. I haven't grown all the same strain at once yet. I like the variety. I ran the drain along the back and use stiff sump hose run to the buckets. It doesn't matter if the hose sags, it will just act like a drain trap in a sink. I have the buckets on a 2x4 platform to raise the drain up enough to provide a waterfall in the res. The water supply I run on my 4 bucket system with two 1/4" supply lines, this one has one 3/8" supply for each bucket. It took less than 10 min to fill a bucket so an exchange of at least 6x/hr should be fine. Another new toy I have is a 6' light rail holding my 400w light. The system seems to be working well so far.
The bucket drain is a 3/4" pvc pipe cemented in place with marine epoxy (good stuff). The supply line is hot melt glued to the side. The supply manifold is made of 1/2" pvc with a control valve for each bucket. I've covered the clear lines with aluminum foil to prevent algae. The res has a 6" piece of the 4" drain, marine epoxied to the res and connected to the drain with a removable coupling for easier cleaning.

Here they are 4 weeks ago soon after they went into the buckets. The largest plant is the Purple Trainwreck, I topped it at this point to give the others a chance to catch up. The plant to the right of that is a Sour Diesel Trainwreck which turned out to be a male. The nodes on it are numerous and close so I'm saving it's pollen and will cross it with each strain. Should make for an interesting future grow. The other strains are a new mountain mix I haven't grown yet, a Joey Weed strain that I grew in my last grow (not posted) and it was a fantastic plant. The two in the right front are Joey Weed 3 that I grew in my last post that were the frostiest strain I've had yet.
picture.php

picture.php

This is what it looks like today. I've switched the positions of some plants to even things out some. The tall one in the back is another JW3, I'll be bending it over once the sour diesel is done producing pollen. The two JW3 in the front right didn't stretch as much as the one in the back. They were harder to clone than the other strains and developed differently. I'm not certain exactly what the difference was that caused the back one to stretch so much more than the front ones. Differences in root development is my guess. I've had some plants who's roots had not developed much outside of the netpot and found that it limits their growth.
They were switched to flower 10 days ago.

picture.php

picture.php

IKILL3RI

#9Dream

Nice Set up you got going. Looks like its going be an interesting thread. Looking forward to your next update. Your plants are looking great btw. Keep up the good work. :)

Slap

I like your setup, it's always cool to see someone doing a bio-bucket grow, I'm looking forward to seeing this.

#9Dream

Day 20 of flowering

Day 20 of flowering

Thanks for stopping by, enjoy the show.
Day 20 and the plants are doing well. I switched the bulb and ballast to 600W. Room temp varies between 65 and 78 degrees, PH has been around 6.2 and tds is at 650. The nutes I use are GH Lucas style with CalMag, Awesome Blossoms and Flora Nova plus. I have two reservoirs, one tap and the other RO. I can switch the top off between the two to help control the PH.
9A-313L.jpg

The Mountain Mix in the front was put into the system when the others were already one week into flower.

These are Joey Weed 6...
9A-313c.jpg

Looking right, Joey Weed 3...
9A-313R.jpg

The Purple Trainwreck is the best plant by far. This is the only plant from seed this time around. When I got it as a gift it was 6" tall. I've got to thank him again for this one.
9A-313pt.jpg

This is Mountain Mix 3. This is a strong fast growing strain. It's getting beaten up a bit by the fan. I'll have to build a speed control for it soon. I use a ceiling fan speed control, works as good as the ones from the hydro shop at half the cost.
9A-313m3.jpg

Here is a close up of the stretchy JW3.
9A-313jw3.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one develops myself. It should be interesting.

petemoss

Beautiful grow, #9Dream! You seem to actively control the PH in your Bio buckets. This grow, you mention that your PH is 6.2 compared with 5.5-5.6 in your Johnny Blaze grow last year. When I grew with Bio buckets, I just let the PH find its own level and it usually settled at about 6.2 and remained stable. Sometimes the PH dropped under 5.0 right after adding nutes, but returned to 6.2 after a couple of days. Are you continuously adjusting your PH?

#9Dream

Hi Pete, thanks for your question. I like to keep my PH between 5.8 and 6.2. My tap water has a high PH, I found that if I used tap only my PH would trend toward 6.5+. Using RO only it would fall below 5.5. For the Johnny Blaze grow I used RO only and had to add tap water or PH up to keep it in range. My last grow was my first with two reservoirs and I found that if I switch to tap when the PH falls to 5.9 and back to RO above 6.1, I can keep it in range without PH up or down. I switched it about 4 times last grow. I’m sure I could of grown without RO and just use tap and PH down, but I like using RO. It gives me a slow gradual control of PH without using PH down and RO works great for DWC and in my aeroponic cloner with CalMag. I also use RO with CalMag to water my moms in soil. It’s a system that seems to work well for me with my high PH tap water.

Here is a peek at my last grow...
8D-125.jpg

#9Dream

Day 27 of flowering

Day 27 of flowering

Picture update...
9A-320L.jpg

9A-320c.jpg

9A-320r.jpg

I harvested the male SDTW last night and pollinated some lower buds on each strain. I'm looking forward to Purple Sour Diesel Trainwreck!

9A-SDTW.jpg

Thiats the male that was in the McD's bag..

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
I am getting ready to set up a bio bucket system. i am tired of having to change out multiple buckets. looking for more simplicity.

#9Dream

Day 35

Day 35

They are putting on some weight and getting frostier.

9A-328h.jpg

This mountain mix was put in 1 week later ^^ than the others.

9A-328a.jpg

The purple trainwreck pistils have a yellowish color compared to the MM or JW
9A-328e.jpg
9A-328f.jpg

This JW3 is getting too heavy for its spindly branch.
9A-328b.jpg

JW6 is developing bud faster than the others and is very sugary.
9A-328g.jpg

The view from above.
9A-328c.jpg

I'm very happy with my new system. The plants are very healthy. They seem to be loving the light on the rail. Yield will be the final word on that.

onahah

Wow very nice and clean. i like the valve system that you have put in place. ive read so much about people getting root rot and what not and i thought it would never happen to me. it finally did.

I have been slacking and really need to get a res together already.
Nice plants. Make em big!

MCsqrd

Awesome, I love bio buckets. Started to build a system but due to size constraints I went with a tub system instead. Your plants look very healthy :yes:
Sorry if I just read over it, but what size is your waterpump?

S

SwampSavant

Always a fan of the bio-buckets. I wish you well. The only thing that is a put off to me is that all the grows that I have seen done using the technique seem to produce spindly stretching branches. By no means do I mean to say that they are not healthy or that the yield suffers because I am simply making a visual observation. Peace

kp^

#9Dream, Those ladies look FANTASTIC!!!

I've been in the construction phase of my bio bucket grow.... So this is def something to look forward too!

Thanks for sharing pics! Happy Growing!!!:smoweed:

Latest posts

Latest posts