What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Major marijuana reform in Congress?

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Schedule II classification puts it squarely in the hands of big pharma and NOBODY else.

IMO makes it worse than Schedule I and illegal when you think about the long term implications.

Do you want to give a pharmaceutical company big bucks, have to get a scrip from your DR and be on a list of users for an end product way shittier than you can produce yourself?

This is political maneuvering by both to give them something popular to point to during the mid terms as a reason for reelection and nothing more.

rolandomota

At first i though that J Sessions asking for a reefer madness style crackdown might help congress pass a real mj law but im not so sure anymore. Too many "important" people hate on weed for it to be federally legal. The only way to legalize is at the state level but now these states want to pass crap laws with no home grows and a monopoly of producers to jack up the tax rate and collect more money to squander

Jhhnn

Veteran
If new legislation doesn't endorse state level legalization it falls short of keeping what we already have, if precariously so. It would give Sessions an excuse to rescind the Cole memo if Congress fails to include such provisions. The nebulous nature of the whole current situation prevents such action on his part. I'd rather keep it than give him any openings.

TheMan13

Veteran
What about H.R. 1227, aka the “Ending Federal Marihuana Prohibition Act of 2017” by Rep. Garrett [R-VA-5] ?

https://www.scribd.com/document/341333160/Bills-115hr1227ih#from_embed

The main goal of the bill appears be the complete ending of federal prohibition of marijuana [spelled: marihuana in bill], as its name suggests. The major alterations to current federal law, which would be responsible for the ending of prohibition are the removal of marijuana from the Schedule Of Controlled Substances, as well as removing the prohibition on importing and exporting marijuana.

H.R. 1227 is headed up by Rep. Tom Garrett (R-VA) and co-sponsored by Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI), Rep. Ed Blumenauer (D-OR), Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI), Rep. Jared Polis (D-CO), Rep. Scott Taylor (R-VA), and Rep. Don Young (R-AK At-Large).

Last edited:

TheMan13

Veteran
I agree too many important people in DC hate weed rolandomota or at least find maintaining it's criminal prohibition in their best interests. Although if the media actually called out these folks on the realities of the matter, they'd only begin pointing fingers and start doublespeaking. It's definitely a conversation the People need to have/understand, as 50 years has been far too long to wait ...

[YOUTUBEIF]LP8f-tvDsQQ[/YOUTUBEIF]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP8f-tvDsQQ

Last edited:

Jhhnn

Veteran
What about H.R. 1227, aka the “Ending Federal Marihuana Prohibition Act of 2017” by Rep. Garrett [R-VA-5] ?

https://www.scribd.com/document/341333160/Bills-115hr1227ih#from_embed

The main goal of the bill appears be the complete ending of federal prohibition of marijuana [spelled: marihuana in bill], as its name suggests. The major alterations to current federal law, which would be responsible for the ending of prohibition are the removal of marijuana from the Schedule Of Controlled Substances, as well as removing the prohibition on importing and exporting marijuana.

H.R. 1227 is headed up by Rep. Tom Garrett (R-VA) and co-sponsored by Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI), Rep. Ed Blumenauer (D-OR), Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI), Rep. Jared Polis (D-CO), Rep. Scott Taylor (R-VA), and Rep. Don Young (R-AK At-Large).

I don't think we're quite ready for that. Prohibition states still want DEA help in preventing the evil weed from crossing their borders. They like that & will fight to keep it, fools that they are.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All I know is I grow, and will grow until I physically can't. I started growing in a place where 4 plants got you a felony with a 5 year minimum 20 year maximum, and I didn't let that stop me. The government will do what ever it wants and so will I.

Last edited:

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Support sessions no legalization, marijuana leads to heroin addiction should remain sch1 shut down rec N get rid of all these new growers who were to chicken shit to do it before. We need to get all the big business out... Need to leave growin in good hands..

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
At this point in my life, if they lock me up, I'll just write a book while I'm in prison to keep me busy. Then if it gets published I'd use the profits to move to a pot friendly country, and set up there. I have very little faith that America is going to get any better over the next decade.

St. Phatty

new use for drones

Share Extra Croppage with the residents of San Quentin etc.

just a little drone flight over the exercise yard.

WelderDan

Veteran
All I know is I grow, and will grow until I physically can't. I started growing in a place where 4 plants got you a felony with a 5 year minimum 20 year maximum, and I didn't let that stop me. The government will do what ever it wants and so will I.

Yup. Been flying under the radar for over 40 years. Don't steal electricity, don't grow on Federal land, don't tell anyone. I don't sell, so no issues with people dropping dime if they get busted. Minimize your risks and don't take chances and you will be fines.

The Feds will do whatever they want. It has no effect on me.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
schedule 2 will end MMJ as we know it. and it will forever wipe out rec mj.

This I disagree with partly. It may end certain aspects, but not many. The demand for good buds isn't going anywhere. Did pharmaceutical opiates kill the heroin market (it actually made it grow)? Did total prohibition of pot stop it from being grown and sold? Did it stop California from passing 215?

Humans have been using cannabis for thousands of years. Pot prohibition is less than a century old. The united states government has only been around since 1776. Medical Cannabis use has been around longer than the invention of governments it probably grew for millions of years before human even existed

Stay hopeful

igrowone

Veteran
sched 2 probably wouldn't hurt, probably wouldn't help either
except for some big corporate players to get into the game
but wiping out what we have? not happening, it's gone too far
sessions is trying to use the existing sched 1 to roll back cannabis
and that's not happening, he's being rejected everywhere he goes
only way it could work is if the states start cooperating with him, and the states literally don't give a fuck what sessions wants
he may live in the 1980's but most others have moved on

rolandomota

Lets see what happens in august thats when the protection ends im guessing congress will keep doing the same just temporary protection but its a good sign at least. I wonder what would be happening right now if the temporary protection wasn't in place. The mj states would have to put up or shut up and i think they will fight for states rights. 1996 is the point of no return their is no going back

Last edited:

St. Phatty

So if a 1000 visitors to Congress all lit up in the Congressional hallways ...

the 420 version of a Flash Mob ...

what would they be charged with, worst case ?

paper thorn

Veteran
DCs legal right st phatty?

Hash Zeppelin, you're exactly right. been growing since 77, no law stopped me,,,, well, you can't grow when you're in the county jail for cultivation, but not for long anyway.

point is to now have to grow illegally like in those days. to not risk jail.

Latest posts

Latest posts