What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oldtimer's Purple Haze off in my brain!!!!

LostTribe

Premium user
Like 14 hours can't create bushy Sativas?

When do they go into flowering then? day count related with 12/12 or what??

Dubi said 18/6 you say no more than 14....I don't have electricity concerns with this grow....just dont want to waste these by not getting them wide enough for the entire space.....

Also, they are 6 inch pots I checked today it might be my zoom on the pics.

corky1968

Veteran
You can flower them when your ready.

I went 59 days before flowering using 14 hours of vegetative growth.
Less light means slower growth. So you can't use 18 hours of light for
59 days and call it the same.

BTW: Slower growth will mean your trees won't hit your roof as fast.

Maybe you should go for 16 hours of light. :biggrin:

18 + 14 = 32/2 = 16 hours

LostTribe

Premium user
You can flower them when your ready.

I went 59 days before flowering using 14 hours of vegetative growth.
Less light means slower growth. So you can't use 18 hours of light for
59 days and call it the same.

BTW: Slower growth will mean your trees won't hit your roof as fast.

Maybe you should go for 16 hours of light. :biggrin:

18 + 14 = 32/2 = 16 hours

I am sticking with 18/6 as I need to get these done before the end of february so will stick with that for a bit. I pruned some to get ready to take nice sized cuttings. Will probably take the cuts tomorrow so the auxins will transfer to the other growth. They are sort of bushing up a bit now.

I have 2 taller plants and 3 that are shorter. All have similar leaf pattern....the tallest is suffering a bit from what appears to be nutrient burn....just getting back into dirt from dro so gonna be some learning curve for sure.

I am getting some of these blumats or other similar grow spikes to keep the water good. Are they hard to set up? Do they need adjustment?

LostTribe

Premium user
There's a bunch of blumats threads.

Happy Reading.

Watch these videos for now.

Blumats on YouTube

I will check them out some more you just reminded me to order some....thanks!

What were you talking about leafing the plants were you talking about removing the fan leaves to induce growth at the node?

I just took cuts they are perfectly dark evergreen in color and I heavily cleaned my aerocloner and put new tap water in as well. I took long cuts that had some leafs and node growth removed a few days before. I cut quickly placed in cup of tap water for a few minutes then dipped in root gel for a few minutes and then off to the cloner. All plants have been pruned a little and will water again tomorrow. Camera needs battery charged I keep forgetting....will update sometime this week!

Dubi! Thanks again I got the replacement Oldtimer's Haze seeds AWSOME!

corky1968

Veteran
I removed a set of fan leaf two nodes above the little bud leaves that I want to make branches with.

This causes the bud leaves to become branches faster than normal as they now get more light.

As the plant branches out. It uses it's energy to get bushy vs becoming a tree.

I try to make my clones with 2 internodes placed under ground when I clone.
I only use soil like I showed in my Highland Thai X Kerala thread.

LostTribe

Premium user
I always remove fan leaves when they are blocking light but only here and there. I have topped these and lollipopped them pretty nicely....Hoping to see new growth by monday.

I haven't grown pot in soil in over a decade but feel like I am overwatering. I grow veggies in summer outside but in beds and always water heavily but not that often. Always scared they will wilt. I need to grab a moisture meter I think I have one out in my tomato patch but its way overgrown right now.

I also want to start vegging with real wattage lights as I am at day 45 from seed and they are still 12-18 inches. I am too accustomed to taking my time and vegging right before bloom always keeping bonsai moms and cuttings in stasis under low wattage cfl. These will get upped to the 400w hortilux next week once I finish some other things.

I want to hook the blumats up to a pump system built with shurflo pump, tank, filter and barbs but looking at the 12 spike deck/patio kit and not sure what else I will need? Anybody know it would be nice! Thanks!

LostTribe

Premium user
Cuttings are still looking good no wilting going on.....Hoping I can get these things to bloom size quick need to grab another inline fan probably a scrubber too. How bad do these sativa's smell in bloom?

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Well I can't have them drying out when I am away on business as I am normally out of town 2-3 days at a time with work....

Can I continue topping these or will that prolong the blooming hormones like with indicas

Ok, so first off - Sativas and Indicas are the same plant. Yes, they have different growth habits, but this topping prolonging auxin development ish is nonsense. The plant will flower at whatever amount of nodes (bud sites) you provide it. If you top an indica or sativa it will spread development over two or more branches, but it will not prolong development at all - unless you top the plant during its last weeks of flower. If you're wondering, yes, you can top a plant around week 10, it will focus on flowering out its lowers but you may or may not see a couple herms from the abuse.

As for watering automatically with minimal effort, look at Global Buckets: http://www.globalbuckets.org/

picture.php

I've gone entirely this direction and haven't worried about watering plants since.

So what would happen if I go from 12/12 to 11/13 or 10/14 now rather than waiting until end of stretch? I also am considering topping them again to take cuts....will that prolong the blooming hormones like with indicas or are they sort of used to chilling in 12/12 or so for a few weeks without trouble first??

Again, stop that! :biggrin: They're the same plant, with different stretch habits. You can take clones pretty much anytime - including in the first few weeks of flower. If you look up "monster cropping" its a technique that involves taking clones up until they plants develop full flowers. In indicas, this works till about week 3, in pure sativas till about week 5.

12/12 for most sativas is the bare minimum for flower. If you look at hourly daylight lengths around the planet, youll see that equitorial plants see very little daylight difference throughout the year, which is why going as close to winter extremes (11/13 or 10/14) is going to help the plant realize it time to seal off. Most pure sativas will veg/flower in 12/12 because for them its only September (northern hemisphere) when they finish in November or December when light hours are closer to 10/14.

I am on 12/12. Will I be able to take clones with my indica's on 24/0?! When can I move them to 11/13?

Ok, so imagine you're outside. 24/0 doesn't happen on earth, but 22/2 does at the poles during the solstice. At 24/0 the plant grows like Alaska in the summer - all out veg. As the plant sees fewer and fewer daylight hours (moving toward the equinox) the plant receives the signal to flower and changes its growth pattern to match the season. As I said before, anytime the plant is in a more or less vegetative mode, it can be cloned. The farther into flower, the longer it takes to get the plant to revert into veg. For that matter, plants that have been fully flowered can be put back under 20/4 or 24/0 and within 4-6 weeks will reveg and start to go back into grow mode. If you find a plant you really love, cut it back to a stump with a few leaves, toss it into veg for a couple months and you'll be able to reflower it (more or less as many times as you want!).

How bad do these sativa's smell in bloom?

Less than production plants in my experience. Also, the smell is different, old school sats like Hazes have a very distinct sandalwood / incense smell which doesnt trip the smell test the same way that say roadkill skunk does.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Really great to see a Haze grow, i just bought few packs of Green Haze and got bunch of pure OT Haze freebees. Might take i good while till i have a chance to grow mine.
-
-
About topping and taking cuttings

I'd imagine topping stresses plants the same way, indica and sativa, but also plants are individuals and react differently to stress factors.
Also if you have a 25 cm tall plant and you only take small 5cm cutting off the top of it, it might not stun the plant a huge amount.

But if you cut such a plant in half, especially if it's in small pot and badly root bound, the stress effect can be quite dramatic and some plants may drop/dry up many sunleaves because of this.
..i veg in very small pots cause i don't have alot of space to work with, and when i have taken cuttings off long vegged, root bound plants, after few days some look like they might almost die because of it.

The latest when i have taken a cutting of a flowering plant with success was during the 5th week of 12/12, but i have seen a guy root a harvested "nug" even = basically re-vegging and rooting a cutting at the same time, if you get what i mean.
-
-
If you, anyone, have problems with wilting or rotting cuttings in hydro-cloners, make sure the water in the res isn't too warm (..too cold isn't good either) and what you can use to keep things sterile is using few drops of Hydroperoxide (30%) in a small (few litre) res.
I used it also to prevent root rot when flowering plants in a DWC-system, esp. during summer heat.. Think i put 5ml of 30% hydrop. to 10 litres of water, once a week (..dilute it a little before you put it on the roots in a DWC, cause it's strong stuff).

But you can't use this with bio-nutes cause it will kill the good bits. Only with mineral nutes.

And don't get the 30% stuff on your skin or eyes. It'll burn a hole on your skin quite fast. i have experienced it once and after that i was more careful with it.
:)

LostTribe

Premium user
Ok, so first off - Sativas and Indicas are the same plant. Yes, they have different growth habits, but this topping prolonging auxin development ish is nonsense. The plant will flower at whatever amount of nodes (bud sites) you provide it. If you top an indica or sativa it will spread development over two or more branches, but it will not prolong development at all - unless you top the plant during its last weeks of flower. If you're wondering, yes, you can top a plant around week 10, it will focus on flowering out its lowers but you may or may not see a couple herms from the abuse.

As for watering automatically with minimal effort, look at Global Buckets: http://www.globalbuckets.org/

View Image

I've gone entirely this direction and haven't worried about watering plants since.

Again, stop that! :biggrin: They're the same plant, with different stretch habits. You can take clones pretty much anytime - including in the first few weeks of flower. If you look up "monster cropping" its a technique that involves taking clones up until they plants develop full flowers. In indicas, this works till about week 3, in pure sativas till about week 5.

12/12 for most sativas is the bare minimum for flower. If you look at hourly daylight lengths around the planet, youll see that equitorial plants see very little daylight difference throughout the year, which is why going as close to winter extremes (11/13 or 10/14) is going to help the plant realize it time to seal off. Most pure sativas will veg/flower in 12/12 because for them its only September (northern hemisphere) when they finish in November or December when light hours are closer to 10/14.

Ok, so imagine you're outside. 24/0 doesn't happen on earth, but 22/2 does at the poles during the solstice. At 24/0 the plant grows like Alaska in the summer - all out veg. As the plant sees fewer and fewer daylight hours (moving toward the equinox) the plant receives the signal to flower and changes its growth pattern to match the season. As I said before, anytime the plant is in a more or less vegetative mode, it can be cloned. The farther into flower, the longer it takes to get the plant to revert into veg. For that matter, plants that have been fully flowered can be put back under 20/4 or 24/0 and within 4-6 weeks will reveg and start to go back into grow mode. If you find a plant you really love, cut it back to a stump with a few leaves, toss it into veg for a couple months and you'll be able to reflower it (more or less as many times as you want!).

Less than production plants in my experience. Also, the smell is different, old school sats like Hazes have a very distinct sandalwood / incense smell which doesnt trip the smell test the same way that say roadkill skunk does.

I have experience with nearly all you are saying except with regard to indicas. I did realize that at the equator 12/12 really isn't much of a bloom for pure sativas. They are all sitting on 18/6 now for a bit. I have pruned and topped enough for now and am going to let them grow a bit more before going any further.

I have topped indica's without waiting 2-3 weeks before going 12/12 and from my experiences (done it a couple times) gave me very light harvests and also prolonged the flowering times.

LostTribe

Premium user
Really great to see a Haze grow, i just bought few packs of Green Haze and got bunch of pure OT Haze freebees. Might take i good while till i have a chance to grow mine.
-
-
About topping and taking cuttings

I'd imagine topping stresses plants the same way, indica and sativa, but also plants are individuals and react differently to stress factors.
Also if you have a 25 cm tall plant and you only take small 5cm cutting off the top of it, it might not stun the plant a huge amount.

But if you cut such a plant in half, especially if it's in small pot and badly root bound, the stress effect can be quite dramatic and some plants may drop/dry up many sunleaves because of this.
..i veg in very small pots cause i don't have alot of space to work with, and when i have taken cuttings off long vegged, root bound plants, after few days some look like they might almost die because of it.

The latest when i have taken a cutting of a flowering plant with success was during the 5th week of 12/12, but i have seen a guy root a harvested "nug" even = basically re-vegging and rooting a cutting at the same time, if you get what i mean.
-
-
If you, anyone, have problems with wilting or rotting cuttings in hydro-cloners, make sure the water in the res isn't too warm (..too cold isn't good either) and what you can use to keep things sterile is using few drops of Hydroperoxide (30%) in a small (few litre) res.
I used it also to prevent root rot when flowering plants in a DWC-system, esp. during summer heat.. Think i put 5ml of 30% hydrop. to 10 litres of water, once a week (..dilute it a little before you put it on the roots in a DWC, cause it's strong stuff).

But you can't use this with bio-nutes cause it will kill the good bits. Only with mineral nutes.

And don't get the 30% stuff on your skin or eyes. It'll burn a hole on your skin quite fast. i have experienced it once and after that i was more careful with it.
:)

Hey there Goat,

Thanks for stopping in and for the insight. Trust no hard feelings regarding that grimm thread as I hope to leave all that negativity in the closed thread as I am sure you do as well.

You are right about plants being all different when it comes to cuts and stressing and stunting. Especially dependent on how much you cut off of the plant and the total plant size. I do add h202 to my aerocloner but didnt ever look to see how much or often to use it. I have about 10 gallons in a 30 gallon tote. Just tap water other than that.

I am using such a big tote not for a great deal of cuttings but for the larger amount of water to help keep the temps down. I tried before with less water and smaller tote without any success.

When you do your OT Haze remember to keep them in super small pots until they have stopped stretching then you can up pot to a bigger size at roughly 5 weeks or so of 11/13 according to Dubi and Corky. This is to keep the plants (all pure sativas) from stretching high into the sky before the true onset of budding.

POSITIVE VIBRATIONS!!!!

LostTribe

Premium user
still looking good my camera needs charged but that will require getting another charger as mine has gone MIA....

The topping has caused them to bush out considerable with little to no height gain back on 18/6 for now and until 11/13 coming soon! Need to tie them all down but cannot find my bamboo stakes as I have been unpacking from a move....

Cuttings look great dark green color and appear to already have some changes going on at the stems. The plants I removed more fan leaves from have responded with more extended branching with all that energy that was going to the fan leaves now going past the node up to the tips....

I added a 1/4 tsp mexican bat guano for N and 1/2 tsp of indonesian bat guano for P at the end of last week too.

LostTribe

Premium user
WOW sizable bushy growth overnight the nitrogen must have kicked em a bit but I added just 1/4 tsp of mexican bat guano friday. I removed more fan leaves yesterday.

note I am still in 6 inch pots with 1/2 inch of perlite in the bottom and organic peat mix for the win!

I was checking out the blumats and did find a couple folks using shurflow pump, tank and barbs with the blumat pressure regulator for continuous pressure, larger rez and no need to keep rez above the grow....about $100 set up in addition to all blumat related parts.

corky1968

Veteran
Warning, too much nitrogen is bad for pure Sativas.

Slow down or you have leaf curling in no time at all.

If you see that happen. Better give only water until it fixes itself.

Ever see a Plant Watering Spikes?

These are probably better if your only gone for 3 days or less.

Plant Watering Spikes

LostTribe

Premium user
I haven't seen under curl on leaves since I transplanted, 2 did then. Fine now and the N I gave them looks to just have gave them a kick it was a 1/4tsp mexican bat guano from sun leaves. I also used 1/2 tsp of their Indonesian bat guano too. I mixed the stuff into the top 1 inch of soil and give straight water. Soil is amended.

3 cuttings are showing white root growth beginning won't be long now. The cuttings were taken from the tops (normally I would have taken from sides) The plants responded well with slowing growth for a few days at the top but the bottom branches kept their pace and have caught up which is nice and looking perfect for an LST now. Going to lower light once that LST is ready. Probably go ahead and flip em so they dont go anymore monster on me. The Zam's are bigger and bushier so need to get to flipping I think. I have seen nice paced growth though and showing no deficiencies or problems now.

LostTribe

Premium user
3 cuttings showing first signs of roots today white about 1/4 inch long so thats nice.

The plants are doing great now ready to LST as the cuttings came off of the tops ( I normally only take cuts from sides) Tops slowed down nicely while the lower branches I left have continued growing so I plan to drill holes in the pots to tie them down with twisty ties and lower the light down right over them.

LostTribe

Premium user
Update on the Positive Vibrations!!!!

All cuttings both zamadelica and the 5 Old-timers Purple Haze have started root growth some just starting to show but shouldn't be long now. I am feeling very anxious as I am afraid to wait much longer to bloom these Haze just everyone telling me to watch out for the stretch I know its coming and the zamaldelica are even bigger bushier and taller than the PHaze so I am gonna have to send them on their way sooner than I had anticipated.

I am still considering the blumats or clones of them and a rez to keep them right. Wish that C99 cutting didnt wilt I wanted to hit it with the zamaldelica or the Phaze if I found a male. May find a male C99 and go the other way though not over yet.

I also ordered some MNS Neville's Haze which I might pop too but they are still on order.....