What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Adding MJ nutes to Tomatoes/Strawberries?

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
Growing Strawberries and Tomatoes for the first time. Just planted the seeds yesterday. Was wondering if/can I supplement them with any of the nutrients I already have? I have the fox farm ocean forest line grow big, big bloom, and the additives.

thanks

Murphle

Yup, as w/ growing MJ, start out light 1/2 or 1/4 strength, and then go stronger. Last summer I had a crop of strawberries that loved the shit out of some FFof, grow big/big bloom. Good luck!!

E

EatShitake

Can't speak of the berries, but tomatoes' nute requirements are eerily similar to mj.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran

here is our garden, as you can see the maters are right next to the mj girls, and the 2 closest to the mj are the biggest in the garden!...so you can see they dig the same food and we feed all the veggies what we feed our pot.

yupppers, your going to get some fat tomatoes :D

oh yea...we spray with neem and saranade to keep the bugs away, thrips love tomato plants.

Last edited:

quadracer

everything in my garden gets compost tea, no discrimination!

They also appreciate some azomite, and guanos in veg and flower. Compost compost compost.

Mrs. Babba:

Have you ever thought about companion planting? I've been experimenting with it, and there is a lot less bugs where I don't want them, and a lot more on the nasturtium.

Last edited:
G

For the last few years I have been pruning my tomatoes and I seem to be getting better plants,,When they are seedings, I only leave the tops when they get around 8" tall and when they get as tall as the cages I prune again everything but blooms inside the cages. I leave one or two suckers that way I have 2-3 vines coming out of each cage. I have been making tons of tomatoes!

It seems that most of the problems with tomatoes come from contact with the soil water splashed off the soil or a combination of the two so these techniques seems to help with keeping the plants healthy. I also mulch to prevent grass and weeks. I'll take some pics if you want? I have these that I took a while back.

Tomatoes are in front of the sunflowers

I have never grown strawberries But I am going to set out a bed this fall for next spring. Good luck with your garden. peace

Skrappie

I've only started to use "mj" style nutes in my garden this year (run off from the indoor garden, and sometimes a treat) and things have never been better. things just wont stop blooming :listen2:

8bitNES

There is no such thing as a "MJ" nutrient. Nutrients are nutrients--its the NPK ratio that you would want to adjust. Anyway, its true that tomatoes and pot have almost identical feeding requirements. I've given my plants hydro nutes plenty of times and they love it compared to dry stuff. I tend to notice results a lot faster. I'm guessing because the hydro stuff is chelated (or more so) and doesn't have to be broken down like the dry organic stuff I normally use.

I'm no master gardener but I've read that pruning the bottom of your tomato plants (bottom 10% of height) and keeping the bunches to 4-5 tomatoes each will result in larger tomatoes. I've only tried it this year and it seems to work so far. I also keep tubs of water out so I'm not watering my plants with chlorine. I've noticed a good difference doing that than going straight from the hose. The trade off is that watering takes a lot longer but I like the work.

Does anybody else have problems with critters eating your strawberries?

8bit

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
headiez247 said:
Growing Strawberries and Tomatoes for the first time. Just planted the seeds yesterday. Was wondering if/can I supplement them with any of the nutrients I already have? I have the fox farm ocean forest line grow big, big bloom, and the additives.

thanks
GO REAL EASY!!!!
stick with basics, B vit, and bloom nutes for fruiting vegies.
i gave my whole garden a shot of AN B52 and some fulvic/humic/carbs
now my corn plants are 15+ ft and watermellons/cantalope are everywhere....
a water filter would probably help more then nutes....
ive got 2 of the carbon/chlorine filters on there.