What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Is that tobacco - or Pink Floyd?" - Thai and Red Lebanese

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
H&L - thanks for the backup man! It's definitely Red Leb, although I am smoking it, so it would be hard to doubt from this distance...:)

The sticks are technically a misnomer, as there's no stick - 'bundles' or 'cobs' could be used instead I guess. They're very, very compacted though, beyond what could be accomplished by hand alone, I suspect. I initially thought they might be formed between wooden blocks to get the basic shape before tying. But one or two of these were curved like a banana, and still rock-hard.

So maybe they are tied by hand after all? But it's all bud - there's no leaf in these, and hardly any twigs either! And lots more lovely big healthy seeds...:)

shasta

E-Man, It's all good...you mentioned the "70's", there was some fire engine red leb in the day, few rips and a trip (actual). There's a reason Brian Wilson is struggling with his sanity to this day. Shasta

harold

you can get thai stick in the uk? i would buy the f@cking lot if i found some thai around... i love the smell of thai Mmmmmmm

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Elevator Man said:
Oh, I already have got a few seeds from the stick (or should that be cob?) - and the friend that procured it me is saving all his too. They're probably the same as the last batch, but hey, they're all authentic. And always good for trading...:chin:

I n I saved some seeds from this weed also. seems to be doing the rounds. Are you sure it is Thai? Sure it comes wrapped in red cotton,, but the bit we've been smoking on tastes like some oldschool African (kenyan or malawi) from early 1990s. very few seeds :chin:

peace
dLeaf :joint:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Doc - my contact assures me it is, though there's not much I can do to get more info. What convinced me where the plants I got from the seeds - they look pretty Thai to me!

He has a brick of high quality african also, and when the two are next to each other, there's a marked difference - the African is much spicier and sharp, whereas the Thai has a more tobacco, earthy, fruity smell.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Elevator Man said:
Doc - my contact assures me it is, though there's not much I can do to get more info. What convinced me where the plants I got from the seeds - they look pretty Thai to me!

Yep. Those do look like SE Asians :yes: :canabis:

The weed we've been smoking looks like thai stick, but doesn't have that sharpe strawry pet-shop smell of thai, and is less compressed. :chin:

Looking at your plants, we can't wait to give these seeds a sow :bandit:

peace
dLeaf :joint:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Redbeard?

Redbeard?

Doc - I just went out and scored a couple more ounces of the African, to enable a fair comparison - how's that for service?! It's darker and slightly more green from a distance than the Thai, but up-close, there's a LOT more red hairs visible - I'm wondering if this might be Swazi Redbeard or something like that? It's all bud, and no leaf.

It's very stimulating, but like the Thai, no jangly effects, just smooth elevation. Tastes more spicy and sharp than the Thai, which is more fruity/tobacco. But I'd say it's just about as strong, and holds its own with much of the 'skunk' going around at the moment.

Notice the two buds I pulled out - apart from being flat, they're completely intact, almost seedless and they've been manicured. How much brickweed is manicured eh? And at £90 an ounce, it's still the bargain prices of the 70's too...:)

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I haven't a clue to be honest - I don't usually struggle to get weed if I'm not growing, but most people I know prefer home-grown to this stuff, mainly as 'this stuff' is usually crap. Now a few folks have tried these, they've changed their minds. Most big urban areas have lots of green around, but I'm sure the imports have gone down recently. That said, they're all much better quality than they used to be.

And it also totally demolishes this bullshit theory about modern weed being vastly stronger than the 'stuff they smoked in the 70's' - the fact is, I'm smoking it right now, and it's strong - I don't see much difference personally, if it's cured right and been looked after on the way...:)

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Never had Red Lebanese :(
Blonde Lebanese SUCKED hated it... would turn it down if I was ever offered any.
Thai Sticks in the 70s BEST EVER. EVER.

Sin

G

Elevator Man said:

wow! that looks thai through and through! now im very excited EM. :) cant wait to see what the flowering time is on them.

that african does look rather suberb. i havent purchased anything imported in a few years but it was years before that i last saw something imported that looked that nice. :yummy:

G

i read in Clarks book that the only difference in red and blonde lebanese hash was harvest dates,the blonde obviously being drummed prematurely, the red left to amber fully then drummed. seems right to me. one,lime

ElGato

Veteran
i used to get red and blonde

the blonde was the more commercial hash around in the late 70's early 80's... definitly lower quality and not nearly as fresh as the red i got, i also have to say that it varied in quality a good bit
....some of it was downright nasty and some was decent smoke

the red was fresher......soft and more aromatic.......taste and high was very nice
tho not as good as the nepalese that used to come around

none are as good as the hash i now make for myself, cant beat that freshness lol

El

Last edited:
OLDFAMILYRED said:
i read in Clarks book that the only difference in red and blonde lebanese hash was harvest dates,the blonde obviously being drummed prematurely, the red left to amber fully then drummed. seems right to me. one,lime

I really need to get that book....looked interesting from what I was able to read...what was the name again?

G

clark's book is "hashish" i believe. its a great book from the couple times ive thumbed through, i need to get a copy too.

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HASHISH! is a MUST read .
Can you see different shades of "Red" in this crappy pic? :D

ngakpa

Veteran
smoking some Khrungtep 'Thai' at the minute which smells exactly like Chinese Lapsang Souchong tea... moist, cured, potent and grown OK - but been bricked by a middle man - no idea where it's from originally in SE Asia... poss. Cambodia

this is a digression I know, but...

if you ask me Clarke's book is as interesting for what it leaves out, doesn't say, or gets wrong as much as it is for useful and informative info... flicked through with a charsi traveller friend of mine and had a laugh at some of the inaccurate or misleading stuff in there esp. about Central and South Asia... it's almost funny how much of that disinfo has found its way into general circulation in the West and is accepted by the untravelled as gospel - show some of that to a Pashtun grower and they would either fly into a rage or piss themselves laughing

IMHO plenty of "Myth Making" goes on on the back of selective and out of date info. about the state of hashish and ganja in the world today - esp. by people with industry interests who haven't travelled in three decades and generalise only on the basis of what washes up in their homeland... not meant as a dig at Clarke himself, and not that it's my worry, more a dig at the myths and industries limited info can sustain etc. etc. etc.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts