What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1983 Clone of Trainwreck...

This nug - as with all of the recent nugs i've been reviewing - came directly from the grower in Southern IN. He aquired (and maintained) a massive archive of bomb and heirloom genetics. These were most all aquired through ICMag, OG, or CW trades, so reviewing these here is particularly applicable. I was impressed with most all of the varities I sampled, particularly GHaze, SCHROM, and Bubba Kush. Trainwreck wasn't my favorite of the bunch but I thought it was noteworthy because its (supposedly) a clone from the 1983 original.

As you can see, the bag appeal of Trainwreck is pretty modest. A great, dense-looking nug with a good coating of crystals, but nothing like the modern-day superweed ;). Dense, indica appearance and strong aroma seems very appealing towards your average herb-toker. 7/10.

The smell of Trainwreck when ground is filled with equal parts pine and fuel-y aromas. A certain medicinal quality instantly comes to mind too - zinc, perhaps? Reminds me a little of grass clippings out of the mower with that lingering gasoline smell. This could easily be called unusual...but intriguing. 6.7/10.

When you smoke Trainwreck, its easy to be a little underwhelmed. The unique tastes pre-smoke are lost in the burn. Somewhat acrid and burny tasting. No expansion at all to speak of, but oddly the smoke all disappears in your lungs. 6.5/10.

The high of Trainwreck is much more cerebral than I was anticipating, which to my tastes was good...but could be bad for those folks looking for narcotic or medical strains. The initial rush to the head is clarifying! I feel smarter for a second, but then I notice an amazing onset of IQ-deterioration. While you are hit with good ideas and a certain amount of creative brainstorming you either lack the motivation to do them or your brain gets quickly distracted. I really understand the name now because its exactly what it does to your brain - just try to formulate a cohesive string of thoughts...you'll derail. The intense body/brain buzz covers you like a warm blanket. While you might be able to look at things and attempt to concentrate, good luck.

From a creative standpoint, Trainwreck livens up your surroundings to the point that you are pretty much O.K. with doing nothing. Doesn't inspire outward creativity necessarily, but enchances enjoyment of passive sensations - listening to music, movies, etc. All in all a very pleasant high that has certain valuable uses in the stoner's toolbox of highs. 7.9/10

Overall, a good strain and an interesting way to turn back the clock. 7/10

G

Now, that was a good read. Well done. I feel like I'm there with ya, sparking one.

G

Excellent reporting GWB. I feel your thoughts; I feel the high without smoking it. You've conveyed the strain quite righteously. Now I gotta get me a cut. Thanks!

G

Trainwreck aint no joke, try the Arcata Cut... Humboldt 707

the only 10 I have ever given to any strain, overall: 10

G

I have to say that I've grown a few strains and Trainwreck would be a very welcome site in my garden again. I had someone keep her but things didn't work out and she's gone :(. :bat:

Maybe when the time is right

I shall skip my normal treatise on Trainwreck and just flash a few pictures.....

This IS "Trainwreck"... Not the "Arcata cut" or "NorCal Pine TW" or "af-wreck" or "planewreck" or "TW #1" all that is stupid shit kids giving names and making up "strains" and carrying on thinking there "cooler" then the rest....

TW is a bit, :eek: "played out" in my neck of the woods, and I choose to grow other flavors. I have grown teedub a few times before, but never as a crop. Here are some [I think] nice shots of a TW from last years Humboldt Backyard Outdoor Hobby! :D
{some of you may have seen these last summer...}

7457DSC02917resize-med.jpg

7457DSC02868-med.JPG

7457DSC02862crop-med.jpg

7457DSC02850-med.JPG

7457teedubBUSHY-med.jpg

7457DSC02721resize-med.jpg

7457DSC02934resize-med.jpg

All these pictures were ONE plant, a bushed out over vegged left-over mother.....in a 10 gallon pot that I trained down a bit to spread out the canopy, It worked! This is the weirdest shortest stuppiest TW I have seen, people that came over and say it didnt beleive it was TW untill they smelled it! It gave me about 3/4lb of "indoor" grade SOILD nuggets! K+

And actually.....the Plant that CREATED the seeds that became TW was flowered in the season of '84. [not '83] The seeds were sat on for a bit and used for a few outdoor projects [I beleive...] and were then sat on untill.... The Clone that "IS" Trainwreck now was sprouted in '95 and has been worked with and "widely" circulated since then.....

Hope my information can help.... !

Last edited:

icecold

i received a cut labeled as the arcata cut that ive kept around for a while, has an intoxicating , racy sativa high. The smell/taste is a combination of minty/fuely/funky.

G

Thanks for your info Nor Cal Mon. I'm expecting to get a Nor Cal cut. I just hope it's as good as yours.

G

GLAD SOMEBODY MENTIONED ARCATA, CA!!!!!!!! I GOT SWEATERS WITH T.W. SCREENED ON THEM, T.W. CAME FROM ARCATA!!!!!!!! PACIFIC PARADISE BABY!!!!!!!

G

A twenty two year old clone that would be hard-core. I have a mother plant that has now been in my family for a little over two years. I wonder if you could keep a plant alive that long.

G

hlgrg said:
GLAD SOMEBODY MENTIONED ARCATA, CA!!!!!!!! I GOT SWEATERS WITH T.W. SCREENED ON THEM, T.W. CAME FROM ARCATA!!!!!!!! PACIFIC PARADISE BABY!!!!!!!

haha that is such an overpriced store with average glass....

anyway

cool smoke report of some cool nugs

i love the old tw.

Last edited:

Wrecked

Yea man love the wreck....
Here are some pics of the wreck i am smoking now... I gave the cut to a friend and he grew these buds in hydro using advanced nutrients. SO he decided to leave me a nice sample... No matter where this bud is grown its always dank and a top 3 favorite for sure and i dont know if anything can beat her yet... Cant wait to start blooming some of the moms i have been saving in my veg room or the hybrids i made... Enjoy your wreck.... PeAcE

Scay Beez

GWB: Whatsup! That trainwreck is the Arcata cut ... just flowered out 70 days as an experiment. 60-65 is much better and taste different. It can be harvested as early as 45 days with more of a strawberry lemonaide kinda kush taste and 60 days becomes more piney and skunky and 70 days it tastes more lemony and skunky. 45 is more racey and clear but not as long lasting... 60-65 days will rock you and leave you captivated, 70 will leave you unmotivated and is more indica like. i've grown it for at least three years now and I can finally get it to look like pistlwhipts trainwreck.

talk to ya soon,

- sbz

hieagle420

Cannabis Creeper
Veteran
Scay Beez--- :wave: how the hell you been?? yeah i take my Wreck at 50 days.. it smells like pinesol lemon fuel.almost makes ya gag .. i got one now at 60 , might just wait 10 more days and see how much more couchy it can get... :joint: :chin:

Last edited: