What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaf Bending

junit

OH MY GOD... I just wrote a big ass long explanation and I pressed shift and it all disappeared? WTF....... this is definatly too much to start off at 5 AM. *Sigh* sometimes i wonder why i even wake up.

I have a Hawaiian Punch.....Vegging(No Cam)She was doing awesome and turned out to be female so I repotted her. I used soil i found at homedepot...... Mircale Grow Organic..... I didnt think it would be too different from the Expert Mix Bog USED to Recommend...(Just learned he 86ed that) either way I bought a few bags and have to use it for something......After a few days in 80/20 Soil Perlite the leaves started to look funny. The Edges of each Blade started to bend upwards...(The part that looks like Rambos knife)...Not drastically enough to "close" the leaf....just a little fold. ITs only on the couple of Fan leaves in the middle of this 1 foot tall plant.

I heard the one must be carefuly with MG or anykind as it can be too hot. Im wondering now what exactly makes a soil hot?.....I always just look for High levels of Synthetic nutes..... That would be a HOT soil to me :confused: This Mircale grow Organic Choice Had a Smaller Acceptable amount of nutes...(Nothing More than the walmart mixes) Ive seen people on here using 10-49-10 for flowering.... and my Eyes Jumped out of my Head. :yoinks: So i figured... this stuff should be ok. Someone please Enlighten me on the soil HOTness.

Well anyway....the only thing making different from my others (Besides Strain) was the soil........So I Repotted..... using 40/40/20 MG/Virgin soil/perlite......that was 2 days ago........Am I on the Right path? Im looking for changes in her. but im not exaclty sure what to look for.......Should i be looking for the leaves to return to normal or should i just expect them to stay the same as the new Growth that comes will look normal....

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Stuff like this can be genetic or food. I don't know about the punch you have, but some of my blue plants have shown similar things to what your describing. As for the hotness of these soils, the nutes/food is released when the pot is watered, try to keep watering down if your worrying about the heat. I have used miracle grow myself but thought it A not quite right and B ful of fungus nats within a month of watering.

junit

Im Currently Growing out a rather interesting Cross......Peak 19 X Ak-47X Metal Haze..... The leaves look very strange to me... i havent seen anything like them before.... but then again im a novice....They are on day 23-24ish and have 3 sets of True leaves.....and all in the range of 6-8 inches tall.They almost all seem to be doing this very thing the Punch was doing. the leaves bending upward.

I started watering the plant less..... But sometimes during the days inbetween watering the leaves Droop a little bit.... not like Under or over watering. Just instead of the BIG fan leaves sticking straight out.... they droop slightly. Growth hasnt seemed to have slowed though. Im wondering if i should top her.....

Im thinking the bending in the Metal Haze Cross is Genetic as GMT stated. They are kept in a very simple system of Promix/perlite and hand fed.....and have had one very light feeding not long ago(Bending was before the feeding) and they all show this symptom/trait. I will post pics tomorrow

Growdoc

Cannabis Helper
Veteran
when you water how much do you give?

do you have a PH meter?? or EC/PPM???

just trying to get info so i can help ya...

GrowDoc

junit

No im not that Fancy as of yet....to he Punch 3-4 CUps of water perwatering. The haze Crosses much less... they are just technically out of the seedling stage. The last 4 months has been my first experience with indoor growing. Everything i read before i started was stressed that biggest Mistake for Newbies is Overwatering. Im constantly worried about it.

G

Hi Junit... :wave:
I'm not saying that this is the case w/ you, but one of the most common mistakes by novice growers is "overcaring" for the plants...like thinking you have to give them something (water,nutes...etc) everyday. Remember that marijuana is basically a very easy plant to grow, and as BOG says: K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid). If you are worried about "burning" your plants, I would recommend going organic. Once they are out of the seedling stage, it is almost impossible to hurt your plants w/ good organics. It's also better for your soil, and for the overall characteristics of the plant ( ie- color, aroma, and flavor). It is VERY helpful to get tips and perspectives from other more experienced growers... and IC has some of the best, but there really is no substitute for experience. It sounds like you are off to a good start, but 5 grows down the road, you'll be saying.. "Man, I can't believe some of the things I did in my early grows" :yoinks: . Good luck my friend, and be safe!
MG

junit

Hey thanks for tuneing in Mastergrow. Im actually Already Saying that...... ive gone through some Mega Bucks as far as loosing seeds/Seedlings already.....2 months ago I found figure out that my water was hooked up to a Softner.....and was mostly the source of my problems..... I did manage to save a couple of plants and luckily they are female......but now i have my New batch..(Much much Cheaper from Gypsy) and im rockin out.

As for the soil that i was told may be too hot..... It is Organic... its just made by Mircale Grow... Main ingredient is Chickin Poop. Perhaps this person just Heard Miracle Grow and spit out a warning? I can look at the rest of the ingredients and tell ya but im pretty sure its 100% Organic..... the NPK is 10-5-10.
Maybe im getting Hot and nute burn mixed up... but if its just too many nutes that makes a soil hot then 10-5-10 hardly seems hot to me. I was thinking HOt soil was More along the lines of too much Acid in the soil itself or something other than nutirent related.

Im going to walmart later to get the battery for the camera... Ill Post up the link on this thread

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Hi junit! :wave:

Ratings like 10-5-10 give the ratio of NPK in your fert - if there's too much in the soil it will be *hot* in that there will be too much nutes. This happened to me in my first run of clones early this year, the soil I was using had too much food for such young plants. For young plants I now use a potting soil that has no added ferts, basically worm castings and peat moss. Once the plants are bigger the ferted soil may be ok for them.

They can burn from low pH too, so I guess the soil would also considered "hot" if too acidic....

Cheers! :wave:

G

Yeah... my impression is that*hot* = nute burn. Manures can cause nute burn if they are not fully composted. IMHO, seedlings should not get ANY nutes...even small amounts can burn them. A lot of organic growers (including myself) use Pro-Mix. It contains only peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, lime, and a wetting agent (I always add extra perlite). It has a ph of 7 (neutral), and has virtually no nute values. It is so "seedling friendly", that I use it quite successfully as a seed starter.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
some of the mg potting soil does have starter ferts in it. don't need to feed for i think the 1st 3 months i believe it says. this creates a problem for what we do here as you like to know what you are feeding your plants. read the bag to know what your soil has it it. use a fert free potting mix for the seedlings. of course this is just the personal feelings i have about soil mixes

junit

I Do used Promix for Seed Germing... Once they are About 2-3 Weeks old and technically out of the seedling stage is where they would be either moved out of the Promix into their organic soil or They would get their first feeding. Of course i Try and Gauge this on how well a plant is doing........ Slower ones I may wait longer to feed/Change pots..... If they are lagging behind i figure they are dealing with other issues of somekind and dont need a bunch of nutes dropped on them at that point. Of course its different if they tell me specifically they need something.

ncsproutiv

you could get a Ph meter at HD and give it a quick check...that will at least eliminate one variable...they have cheap probe style meters for like $15...the one i have is a combo Ph/moisture and i must say it helped me alot early on...but as far as nutes go, you shouldn't need any until the bottom true leaves begin to yellow...
good luck
ncsiv

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
OH MY GOD... I just wrote a big ass long explanation and I pressed shift and it all disappeared? WTF....... this is definatly too much to start off at 5 AM. *Sigh* sometimes i wonder why i even wake up.

dontcha just hate hate hate that!!?!!! i get it once inna while too, the long post accidentally erased feature/// arggg!

junit

Definatly on my Computer Hashmasta...... It takes me 2 hours to do something on this thing that should take me 30 mintues...... I tried uploading my Pics today..... I let it sit for an hour and came back..... and it was still not finished......What the hell...... and that was just one of the 10 i want to post......

junit

Here are some Pics.....

THis small one is one of the haze crosses and shows through picture the bending im talking about......... The bending is slight on the Hawaiian Punch but you cant see it as well in this pic.

Haze cross

THe Hawaiian

G

Hmm..looks kinda like transplant shock. The new leaves look healthy anyway. What about those bugs I see in the Haze pic?

junit

Oh.. lol.... Wasps Check in.... but they dont Check out... :bat:

The plants actually shown have never been transplanted......Except the Hawaiian..... that was done 2 recently......but the haze have not been transplanted yet.

junit

They were Watered that Morning....... 9 am..... those pics were taken at about 3-4 in the afternoon....

Perhaps im being to light with the water...... Id say i give them each about a cup.... and they are in promix/perlite only...(Haze Crosses) The Hawaiian is the Miracle grow soil we talked about and i give her about 4 cups ....water every two days......