What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

7 days since planting 36 seeds.....0 seedlings?

shouldn´t go wrong this time!

did peatmoss and coco jiffies for years, never needed extra nutes for seedlings and after 4-5days when the jiffies are rooted we repot them anyway into lightmix or allmix. organic nutes might be good but dont apply any minerals above 150ppm first 2 weeks!

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Ok i was under that impression it would cost too much power for the young plant to root the jiffies without any nutrients. I mean look at a seed, it's so small, it needs nutrients to grow. Not? ��

has everything it needs in it for the first week, until it develops enough roothairs to support itself. only fresh water ph 5-7 and it will thrive.
tested some in pure 0nutes coco. first 7days no difference.
there was a very well known test where one ICMag grower did a testrun with same strain and 1/3rd plants got 40ppm Ro water, 1/3 got 75ppm, 1/3rd got 150ppm nutes. furst 7days there was no visible difference really but at week 2 the plants with 150ppm were visibly stronger and bigger.
just for safety, i wold not mess with nature in the first 5-7days and let the seed grow out by itself. if seedshell is old i crack them with tooth and into water for 12h-24h. after that inside papertowel and later soil or first jiffy and then pots.
jiffies take very little space you can place 100jiffies or only small 20pots under same space. jiffies have more success than soil since its almost sterile when soaked in RO.
just dont press water outside them this will make them too tight and not letting enough air to seed. i killed some this way.

from day 7-10 when i transplant to soilmix in pot i will water once with clear water and start fertilizing from watering nr2 anoter 3-4days later. worked good for me.

some people soak seeds in AeratedCompostTea or light fish fertilizers or Kelp extract, but I would not sugest this if you already wasted some money on seed. first dail in the easy way. it always takes a few months after a longer period without growing but you will be all right!
One friend was growing from clones for years and at one point he didnt get any seed to germ too!

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
The jiffy plugs are lightly fertilised so should be fine, I'll be transplanting into my pots of soil basically as soon as they root anyway.

Thanks for the advice and positive vibes. I know I'll get something going this time.

Not going to bother with soaking them this time either. Too risky and I want to cut out all possible reasons that they might die on me lol

I've heard that the warmer the better for germination along with high humidity. Planning on putting them in a room with the radiator on high enough to keep it at a constant 29-30*C. Does that sound ok? I don't have anything that's constantly warm like a router.

M

metsäkana

nope i have lost seeds to damping off some might ''compost'' inside the soil, some might get up and ''compost'' from the stem and fall down.. the ones that survive from macaroni stem part will grow fine

brown_thumb

Don't feel too bad about it. I recently lost 80 pricey seeds due to bad weather, plus my soil wasn't loose enough and had too much nitrogen. On my measly income that hurt a LOT.

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Getting a little pissed off now if I'm honest. Boutique have had my money for 5 days and my order still shows as 'awaiting payment'.

Does it really take 5 days to put some seed in an envelope and post them out??

Emailed them asking if stock was low or something and no reply...so frustrating not being told what's happening with your order.....

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Sorry it's actually been 6 days they've had my money now lol
Just had to place another order from Herbies this time. Can't be waiting an undetermined amount of time for these seeds to come this is silly, I'm already weeks behind due to the first lot not germing.

Let's see how long it takes for Herbies to send me confirmation of shipment...

RB56

Veteran
Have the post office started firing gamma rays at suspicious packages therefore killing my seeds? lol this is crazy
I've been wondering this exact thing. Popping seeds is pretty damn easy. The most I've ever had not sprout was one, every now and then. A batch I received this month had 1/3 do nothing at all. No signs of life whatsoever. Sterilizing international mail?

G

I've been wondering this exact thing. Popping seeds is pretty damn easy. The most I've ever had not sprout was one, every now and then. A batch I received this month had 1/3 do nothing at all. No signs of life whatsoever. Sterilizing international mail?
Try US based seed banks. There are several now selling top flight genetics.

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran

Mine was uk-uk mate not international.
Same here, before that happened I'd maybe have 1 or 2 tops not sprout out of a 10 pack and even that was quite rare.

This talk about maybe drowning them by leaving in water too long doesn't hang fire with me either. I've left seeds in water for days and days until they finally crack....I had one seed grow a 1 inch taproot underwater ffs.