What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Foxtailing & hermies outdoor

PDX Dopesmoker

I read somewhere or other that some strains with tropical backgrounds are sensitive to receiving too red of a spectrum during flower and will foxtail as result.
Has anyone in the smokey zones seen foxtailing on their African strains?
I have this one cross thats got an African father and one of the five sisters is foxtailing and throwing a few hermie flowers too. I haven't culled her cause she smells great (oh no! is it gay if I think a hermie smells good?), I'm just picking the flowers off.
We've had some major hot stretches here too so I'm not even positive that spectrum is responsible for the foxtailing.

S1Adq0I.jpg

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
From what i have seen over the years hermies are usually caused by heat stress.

Ive never had an issue transitioning indoor plants from ~7k mh blue light veg straight to 2k red flower. Im curious to see what others have to say.

Earlmarne

We have been real smoky up here n hot as hell til this week. My only outside girl is doing amazing. But she has no african lineage

MedResearcher

Veteran
Think both can be caused by environmental stress, including using to much fertilizer. We get smoke almost every season, varies from bad, to holy shit its fucking smokey bad. Never noticed the smoke causing fox tailing nor hemies though.

African genetics on the other hand... are notorious for both hermies and fox tailing. Sativas in general really, but African genetics especially. The Durban Poison from the 90's that use to dominate the central coast of Cali, was not straight from African genes, but the result of a breeding project using African genetics. They bred both the hermie and foxtailing out of the line, while speeding up the flowering time and giving the flower a dense round structure. The growers/breeders were always very elusive about it, so it was hard to get any real info about it. From my experience if I had to guess, they used a super skunk to get the Durban to perform that well.

I ordered Durban seeds maybe 10 or 11 years ago. They were horrible, hermie, foxtail, snicklefritz! The guys I knew with the killer Durb, hoarded it until the clone fizzled loosing it to time. Their children took over the business and went from dominating Durban to commercial hydro crap. There is a Durban floating around Humboldt, but I have yet to see and compare it to the central coast Durb. Anything I have come across so far, pales in comparison to the central coast Durb.

Enough ranting.. lol. Sorry. My point, I bet it is the genetics. Africans typically need breeding work. A lot of work, but there could be some truely great genetics hidden in the gene pool somewhere.

Mr^^

PDX Dopesmoker

Damn, all I knew when I made the seeds was that I liked how the female version of the African male parent I used tasted and that he was pretty loud himself, then later on I though it was a good pick because the female of the strain showed some pretty good rot/mold resistance late last year. Live and learn I guess.
I put some pollen on one of the hermie/foxtail plant's sisters, the pollen I used was from a more conventional cross with some Bubba, Headband & JtR in it.
Is it safe to assume that the next seed batch should have a lower likelihood of producing hermaphroditic flower clusters?

dwiz415

Can someone tell me if this is a sign of Hermie's. I pulled them from the inner corner of one stem to another.

Attachments

• IMG_20171210_044854.jpg
    IMG_20171210_044854.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 24

I wood

Can someone tell me if this is a sign of Hermie's. I pulled them from the inner corner of one stem to another.

No, female flowers are not an indicater of hermieness.
Looks like you picked the preflowers from several spots.