What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Don't use cheap cups... For anything!

Hi everyone,

I have an interesting observation to share. I have been propagating cuttings using coco in small plastic cups. The small ones like you see at the dentist to rinse.

I started using Solo brand, small cups. Worked well, no problems.

Then, i bought a bag of store brand small disposable cups from the grocery chain store. Using these cups, the cuttings would not propagate. Thinking i screwed something up, i tried again. Still nothing...

Then, i tried washing the cups first. BANG... The cuttings rooted.

There is obviously some substance on the cups. I would guess some sort of mold release agent. What really bothers me is that before this discovery, I didnt have a second thought about the family using any brand disposable cup. Now... I'll only buy from a brand that probably considers product safety a high priority. Solo or Dixie.

Cheers,
Stond

Satyros

Yes, I think this is very important.

It's something that cannabis may have an extra strong aversion to. I noticed it on a seedling that wasn't growing, but then as I looked around at roughly fifteen other species of plants, every last one that was in a cheap container was in a much worse condition than their mates in good ones.

This applies to cups as well as containers that merchants use--if it's flimsy, it's basically a killer. I don't know if it's due to a chemical or more of a physical process whereby the soil appears to recede and dry out faster, regardless, they are all very unhealthy.

A medium sized plant might be ok for a few weeks, but not long term; little ones just don't have a chance.

If washing solves it, then it probably is a substance, which makes one wonder what you might be pouring in your mouth if you drink from such a thing.

Yes, I think this is very important.
If washing solves it, then it probably is a substance, which makes one wonder what you might be pouring in your mouth if you drink from such a thing.

Exactly what I think! Especially for developing children.

ExoticsRus

Use only greenhouse/growing grade stuff . (That's my policy) when cannabis is so costly on everything else why fuck up on the main base.

Latest posts

Latest posts