What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oxygen in water air pump h2o2

Ok i have a few questions bare with me and i appreciate all and any feedback thanks in advanced.. so i have a 500 gallon tank that always has fresh reverse osmosis water in it ready for me to use whenever im ready (which i only use 100 gallons a time to water) IN SOIL BY THE WAY.. SHOULD I always have a air pump in that 500 gal tank of fresh water that's just sitting around? If so how big of air pump should I have and just any air stones? Also if I had my 100 gallons of water would it be enough to just put the air pump on in that water for 15 minutes or so before I add my nutrients instead of having the air pump running in the big fresh water tank... and what do you guys think about just using h2o2 every two weeks or so just to prevent rots and other issues and to add oxygen to the roots that way, and then just inoculate the soil again the next watering and if your using synthetic mites it would be ok to use h2o2 whenever you wanted right..? Thanks I know thats alot to answer thanks in advanced

zoo

air pump is useless, you want a big water pump to keep it circulating and stop water going stagnant.

I don't think you want ro water sitting around for too long. Why not just not fill the tank the whole way?

air pump is useless, you want a big water pump to keep it circulating and stop water going stagnant.

I don't think you want ro water sitting around for too long. Why not just not fill the tank the whole way?

I do I meant I only use 100 - 120 gallons every time I water. A submersible water pump will add oxygen to the water? And also if i just put it in the water 15 minutes or so before I added my nutrients would that be long enough?

soundman

You should have constant circulation. I don't have that large of a reservoir but I use a quick connect fitting from watering hose to pump. When I am not watering I unhook hose and use the same pump to circulate the reservoir. That may work for you too.

You should have constant circulation. I don't have that large of a reservoir but I use a quick connect fitting from watering hose to pump. When I am not watering I unhook hose and use the same pump to circulate the reservoir. That may work for you too.

A submersible water pump would work? And by circulating the water and it moving at the top on the water that should add oxygen as well right?

Why are air pumps useless don't you want a lot of oxygen in your water or is the water pump circulating going to add oxygen to the water as Well? What about adding air stones to the wa tee for like 15-20 mins before adding nutrients that's not gonna add enough Oxygen?

You cant add enough o2 in to the water with a brief swirl. you need
constant circulation to keep it happpy. . Air stones are pretty ineffective at that volume of water unless you have a metric shit ton of them and thats not cost effective.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
r/o water sitting will eventually grow biologicals, dropping the pH. I, personally, recommend filling a storage container, using it completely within a week or so and then re-filling it.

Any longer than a week, especially with exposure to air and/or light, and you should look into not filling it as completely each time.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
O2 naturally dissolves into your water while it's just sitting there. The amount is dependent upon the surface area. By circulating the water, you effectively increase the surface area of the water by exposing more of the water to the surface.

soundman

O2 naturally dissolves into your water while it's just sitting there. The amount is dependent upon the surface area. By circulating the water, you effectively increase the surface area of the water by exposing more of the water to the surface.

That is why I just run a pump. Both ways work but the pump route fit my needs well.